Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 17, 2007, 6:06 PM   #1

Hi Guys

Need to pick some of your talented brains and have your opinion on these 50mm manual focus prime lenses I should get for the E1 ?
  1. Carl Ziess 50mm F1.7 Panacolor *T C/Y mount[/*]
  2. Carl Ziess 50mm F1.4 Panacolor *T C/Y mount
    [/*]
  3. Olympus 50mm F1.4[/*]
  4. Leica R summicron F2[/*]
I had a play with an Oly 50mm f1.4 last week, and although it was nice, it did not feel right with the E1, but at the price I've found one I'd be more than happy to grin and bare it. I can also pick up an CZ Panacolor F1.4 from the same store for 3* the price of the F1.7, which is still cheaper than what I've seen it on ebay. The Leica R is the most expensive out of the four but I think due to its size and construction possibly be a nicer fit (ergonimcally) with the E1, although it will be at least 2 stops slower than the CZ F1.4 and Oly F1.4. All of the lenses are supposed to be in excellent condition. So which out of the these lenses would you go for or is there another lens thats worth getting instead ?

Cheers

Harj

PS

Dear PanaLeica,

Can we on the OlyPanaLeica forum all be given a Leica D25mm f1.4 for long term testing and as Tom already has one, perhaps you could provide the 45mmF2 macro instead.

Pretty please with sugar on top.

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2007, 8:57 PM   #2

Oh what fun to see my name mentioned in one of your threads

I was out today trying to see what this lens could do inside a WholeFoods store in Tustin, Ca. crazy light but before I could adjust WB was hit on by the security guard....having a camera is a no no... they followed me around to make sure I would not take pictures LOL
Oh well, so far the lens performs even on Auto. I use 5.6 via the ring most times
I will try to put the one I did manage to take before being hit on
If you have any thoughts on testing this, let me know what I should take
Another one follows with flash
Attached Images

tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 9:02 PM   #3

Just using the flash, I took this in my garage prior to cleaning the engine up

Just focussed in on low light... just a regular bulb in ceiling for the focus, with AF of course
I had to send a small version, but on 100% the lens was spot on even at 3.2 and a negative bias of -.66. Just a random shot. I always forget to check exposure.. have to remind myself... or toss the picture. But this came out OK for just a random shot.
Attached Images

Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:23 PM   #4

hey Harj
i guess you are looking for speed and economy
what about the Pentax Super Takumar 50/1.4 as well
my experience with other format glass is sketchy, some work some dont
but Ive seen the super tak do well
I guy to ask is Jay Tuberville at dpreview
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=24848973

I just got maself banned at another fora, so i reset my cookies to check out whats happening, now i cant log in to post the following image for him

this from LUF, with kind permission
Leica D Summicron 25/1.4

Riley

Attached Images

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 5:51 PM   #5

Hi Tom/Riley

At the moment I am looking for speed and costs - the CZf 1.7 and the zukio f1.4 are both £50, while the Leica and the CZ 1.4 *T are £140.00. For £50 bot the CZ and Zukio look real tempting but I think the CZ may be the better of the two in terms of shaprness/bokeh and contrast. I've read some mixed reviews of the OM 1.4 on digital cams, and that the Om 1.8 appears to be the better lens. Now if i had the $$ i would snap up the 25mm Leica D providing of course I could find one in stock ! Panaleica know they have a real cracker of a lens and may be thats why their controlling the supply to the retailers or they are making 100% sure that every lens is just 100% and meets Leica's criteria.

I saw the series of shots over at the Leica forum taken with the L1/D3 and 25mm and that cat shot is just superb - do we have the exif for that shot ? It looks to my eyes to be taken pretty wide open F1.4-1.8 and looks just razor sharp.

Tom, thanks for posting the pics - that store looks as if it would have been a really good test ground for the lens. How do you find it on the L1 - balance of the cam + lens, etc ??

Cheers

Harj

Old Sep 18, 2007, 6:25 PM   #6

Cat shot was shot at 1.4 and then 2 DOF was evident
In store, I just got off one shot before being stopped
I did not set the WB and I was underexposed a bit, easy to change but the lights were flourescent so I got a lot of red.....

As for balance, it seems as if it was made for the camera LOL
Well of course it was.. duh me.... very good, much like the kit
Maybe lighter, hard to tell as after a bit they both seem to get heavier. I think the stock neck strap could have been a bit wider.

If you wish, give me a test series you might like to see
Using the mid range on the lens, I seem to get pretty good shots w/o any problem.. well PP anyway. Here is one I took this minute, lens is on the body
your message is on the screen
Attached Images

Old Sep 18, 2007, 6:28 PM   #7

I forgot, you were talking about the cat above Sorry
This is the earlier one at 1.4
Attached Images

Old Sep 18, 2007, 6:30 PM   #8

Say, is the white cat also an Abby?

Looks like royalty..... and yeah, very sharply done

Tom
Old Sep 19, 2007, 2:37 PM   #9

That cat of yours doesn;t look at all happy with that hood on .. but u the focus one the eyes is pot on. The more I've tried the older smaller primes on my E1, I realise that to get better stability and sharper shots the lens for me has to balance with the camera body and I'm sure with the E510/410/400's the older primes will feel as if they've been designed for the camera. I think Panaleica and Oly have got it fairly irght with the size of most of their lenses and the 25mm f1.4 is about right.

I'll let you guys know whether I'll be going for the CZ F1,7 or the 1.4 but stop me if I'm making a mistake.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?