Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:07 AM   #1

Have the E-500 two lens kit, FL-36 Flash.

My neice is getting married next week and just found out the wedding photographer is backing out. (personal reasons he can't be there)

She is not having any luck finding someone who can do it, so I might have to.

(Edit: It will be an outdoor wedding also)
Any advice on doign this? Type of shots to make sure I get?

Any place on the web to read?

Any HELP would be GREAT.

Thanks,

Gordon
gwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2007, 5:00 PM   #2

Hi Gordon

Not sure where to start really.

1. Find out what kind of style shots your niece wants - traditional wedding or PJ or may be even a mix of both ? Try to keep her expectaions realistic, or if it was me I would down play what she should expect and fingers crossed on the day the shots really are just stellar.

2. Go to the church/hall/venue and recce it out, about the same time as the big day. Take someone with you and shoot as many pics as you can just so that you will then be able to judge how well the camera and lenses do in the light available. As its an outdoor wedding the two kit lenses should be just fine.

3. Buy at least 2* 4GB Extreme III/IV or equivalent CF cards and at least another battery for the E500 if you don;t already have one.

4. Get a couple of set of HV AA rechargable batteries for the FL36 and some some normal alkaline as spares.

5. You may want to seriously look at getting a lightsphere for the Fl36 - even if its outside and you have to use flash for fill.

http://www.garyfong.com/

6. Take a tripod as well - esp for the group shots and if the light drops it'll really help you out.

Just practice between now and the big day - portraits, candid, posed, etc so on the day you'll be good to go.

I found this over at photo.net:

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/Wedding101-page1.html

Check out the wedding forum over at photo.net and post the same question on the other forums here at Steve's to get some more feed back.

Here's a couple specifically wedding related :

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a?topic_id=2021&category=Wedding+Photography+% 2d+A+wedding+Primer+for+Newcomers

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a?topi...phy+Approaches

Check out the wedding shots for the last month or so over at Photo.net as well

http://photo.net/gallery/photocritique/filter

Just select weddign and social and how far you want the search to go back.

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :G

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:46 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. That will help alot.

I have all the Batteries, Memory Cards and such. Just looking on ideas for what I am doing. Already talked to her about it and she said she was just glad I would do it. I'm still nervous about it.

Thanks again.

G
Old Sep 18, 2007, 9:14 PM   #4

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
5. You may want to seriously look at getting a lightsphere for the Fl36 - even if its outside and you have to use flash for fill.

http://www.garyfong.com/
Hello HarjTT,

Was looking at the site for the LightSphere, I take it you have one. Does it work as good as what the web site shows?

And would you recommend the Clear or Cloud version? Would like to use it for other things also, so not sure which to get.

Thanks Again.

EDIT: I ordered the Cloud version as I wanted to make sure it got here in time. Read some other reviews of the LightSphere and all said they would not live with out and that there was not a big difference between the Cloud and Clear versions. The samples I saw impressed me. So It's on the way.

Also can anyone tell me what they mean by when they say for the FL-36 to "Push Past Inner Baffle". how far on do I need to push it?
Old Sep 19, 2007, 3:06 AM   #5
OCD

HarjTT's advice is very good, I would possibly add onething though if you are shooting outdoors and using fill flash.

If it is a traditional wedding with a white dress the camera (all cameras) are likely to give you a false meter reading in whatever conditions you are shooting in. And to stop the details in the dress being blown out, or alternately the backgrounds being underexposed, I would buy and use for nearly every new shot a Kodak grey card to meter off. You just hold it arms length in front of the lens with the light falling on it from the same angle as the shot (from over your shoulder), take a reading, then use exposure lock. Used with fill flash the results beat just relying on camera meters no matter how sophisticated they are. Get into the swing of it and it becomes very natural and will give a 'true' reading for the conditions without the dress fooling the camera meter. It is also good for group shots when you may have guests in white outfits.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 7:25 AM   #6

OCD wrote:
Quote:
HarjTT's advice is very good, I would possibly add onething though if you are shooting outdoors and using fill flash.

If it is a traditional wedding with a white dress the camera (all cameras) are likely to give you a false meter reading in whatever conditions you are shooting in. And to stop the details in the dress being blown out, or alternately the backgrounds being underexposed, I would buy and use for nearly every new shot a Kodak grey card to meter off. You just hold it arms length in front of the lens with the light falling on it from the same angle as the shot (from over your shoulder), take a reading, then use exposure lock. Used with fill flash the results beat just relying on camera meters no matter how sophisticated they are. Get into the swing of it and it becomes very natural and will give a 'true' reading for the conditions without the dress fooling the camera meter. It is also good for group shots when you may have guests in white outfits.
Thanks, I will look for a grey card. With all the advice, I feel a little better about doing this wedding.

Thanks again.

G
Old Sep 19, 2007, 4:36 PM   #7

Hi G

A couple of additional points that came to mind:

1. Have your niece act as a model for you in the next week or so. That way she'll be comfortable and relaxed when in front of the camera and more so as its you, and communication I think is going to be key here. Hopefully on the big day, she'll be that wee bit more relaxed and it will rub off on her new husband and it'll hopefully let you capture that special moment a wee bit better.

2. I was thinking that you may want to try and hire say the 50mm f2 ZD macro or borrow one, failing that snap up an old manual 50mm f1.8 or faster prime lens and adapter for doing the portrait shots for her.

3. You might want to borrow or hire a second E series camera on the day, incase of an emergency and you could then have one with the 40-150 and the other with the 14-45 or the 50mmf2.

Cheers

Harj

Old Sep 19, 2007, 5:33 PM   #8

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi G

A couple of additional points that came to mind:

1. Have your niece act as a model for you in the next week or so. That way she'll be comfortable and relaxed when in front of the camera and more so as its you, and communication I think is going to be key here. Hopefully on the big day, she'll be that wee bit more relaxed and it will rub off on her new husband and it'll hopefully let you capture that special moment a wee bit better.

2. I was thinking that you may want to try and hire say the 50mm f2 ZD macro or borrow one, failing that snap up an old manual 50mm f1.8 or faster prime lens and adapter for doing the portrait shots for her.

3. You might want to borrow or hire a second E series camera on the day, incase of an emergency and you could then have one with the 40-150 and the other with the 14-45 or the 50mmf2.

Cheers

Harj

A friend will be there with his E-500 also, and my uncle and a cousin of mine will be there with there (Cough, cough) Nikon D-50's LOL.

I did order the Lightsphere, I ordered the "Cloud" version. Was not sure which one to get. Have you used the lightsphere, and how do you like it. The samples I have seen look GREAT.

The new Husband could not be more Relaxed. LOL He just wants it to be over. I will see if I can find any Olympus stuff around here to borrow as far as lens go. Kind of on a tight budget right now, so buying more Stuff like lens probably won't happen. I just got the FL-36 Flash about 2 weeks ago. (have been saving the pennies for that) and just ordered the above lightsphere. So trying not to spend to much more money as this is NOT a paying job for me. I told them I would not charge them as I had no idea what I was doing and they are FAMILY.

But again, thanks for all your advice. I am thankful.

G
Old Sep 20, 2007, 2:55 AM   #9

All good tips given so far but if you're up to one more here goes. Back (way back) when I did weddings, one of the things I liked doing was to shot the wedding rehearsal. It's usually held in the same (but not always) place the wedding will be held and this way you get a feel for how you want to shot the real thing. Also if they are using a wedding coordinator, talk with them or at least keep a close eye on them. As some will try and rush the couple through everything without the photographer being there as this is easier for them.

One other sad tip to give, have someone with you who can watch your stuff. Yes, people steal even in church.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 3:29 AM   #10

Thanks for that tip regards the rehersal, which is perhaps the best of the lot!

Cheers

HarjTT