Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 8, 2007, 5:33 PM   #11

HarjTT, Because I respect your input I got a bit scared when you PooPooed the 510 Thanks for clarifying.

I found this from the Korea Show, You've probably seen it before but it is an immpressive piece of mag and glass and my best guess at pricing would be in the $5,000 + range. I for one would buy it in a heartbeat....but my heart may stop beating when my wife saw the credit card bill.

http://masterchong.com/v2/dslr/olymp...nounced-6.html

Scroll dwn, there are 3 pages of E3 pics.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 5:51 PM   #12

Since we were talking about layout issues, if that's going to be the final layout of the E-3 I'm disappointed that they haven't improved the position of the white balance sensor...in holding onto the camera my finger blocks most of it and instead of getting the white balance reading of the scene it instead gets a reading of my finger which makes it too warm! It's fine if I'm doing hands-off on a tripod, otherwise it's unusable!

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 6:15 PM   #13

Hi Mike

I did notice the WB button and I do accidentally hit it every once in a while on the E1 but I was wondering where they would relocate it ? I'm also hoping that they have enabled support for the Leica D lens aperture ring, which according to Pana should just be a firmware upgrade.

Scouse, I think the E3 is going to be coming right between the Canon 40D and Nikon D300, the original competition being the D200/20D:

Canon 40D - 1300.00USD BHPhoto Video -
£979.00 GBP - Digital Depot (1994.00USD)
Nikon D300 - $1800.00 BHPhoto Video
£1279.00GBP Digital depot ($2605.00 USD)
(The camera manufacturers must be laughing all the way to the bank and think the Brits are really stupid.)

From some angles the new cam does look ugly and unbalanced, esp in that pic but from head on its kind of growing on me.

I can;t see the EP-1/E3 being priced higher than the D300 but you never know with Oly. So ball mark figure, I;d say the E3 would be going for 1800 and no more.

Cheers

HarjTT

PS

I'll be buying my new cam from the US and take the VAT hit rather than pay those extortionate prices and its about time I moved to West Coast, Pacific NW would be just fab !

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 6:33 PM   #14
Administrator

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Scouse, I think the E3 is going to be coming right between the Canon 40D and Nikon D300, the original competition being the D200/20D:

Canon 40D - 1300.00USD BHPhoto Video -
£979.00 GBP - Digital Depot (1994.00USD)
Nikon D300 - $1800.00 BHPhoto Video
£1279.00GBP Digital depot ($2605.00 USD)
You've also got the new Sony DSLR-A700 competing in the price range between those two models (available now for $1,399.99 at both Sonystyle and Ritz in the U.S.).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#a700

Flash Presentation on new Sony DSLR-A700

But, all of those models (Nikon D300, Sony DSLR-A700, Canon EOS-40D) are really in the advanced amateur versus pro market niche. We'll have to wait and see where the new Olympus fits in after it's officially launched.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 6:39 PM   #15

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
I did notice the WB button and I do accidentally hit it every once in a while on the E1 but I was wondering where they would relocate it ?
I said white balance sensor, not button. Please re-read what I wrote.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 6:39 PM   #16

Let me know when you're coming over. Seatle is a fun place for your 'city work' and the outdoor landscape shooting is wonderful.

I'll be in Scouseland at the end of the month, mainly to visit my mum. She loves the Lakes so I plan to take her out for trips. She's in her 90's now and loves the countryside.
I will have myE500 with me.

It's getting my 'slow' time of the year as well for work so I do plan on getting some pics up here for review by the gang.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 6:43 PM   #17

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
I did notice the WB button and I do accidentally hit it every once in a while on the E1 but I was wondering where they would relocate it ?
I said white balance sensor, not button. Please re-read what I wrote.
I noticed what you said/wrote, I'd never thought of it before but it could be a problem. One where you would wonder afterwards "How did that happen!"

I'm one who hits the button on my E500 as I wrote in another thread.