Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 6, 2007, 8:11 AM   #1

I've come to the conclusion that Olympus's handling and marketing of the E3/E-P1 has to be one of the worst ever. I had thought Panasonics marketing of the DMC L1 last year was bad, it started off well, PMA2005 a prototype is shown and a few months later Pana have a date set to June 1st on their website and we all waited months for the day and then it was announced that the June 1st date was Japan only and the worldwide release would be in stages, Europe August/Sept and then everyone else in Oct 2006. So you can imagine how that went down, and some people like myself decided we could wait till August, August came and went and there was no sign of the L1 turning up until October in Europe and possibly at $2000USD=£2000GBP. The E1 at that moment suddenly dropped to fire sale prices and I snapped one up instead at the end of August, as I wasn;t willing to pay £2000GBP no matter how much I wanted the L1.

Now compare Oly's E3/EP-1 marketing and its pretty similar, display the cam at PMA 2007 in March, annouce that the camera is turning up in late summer/fall 2007, a leaked pdf turns up turns up several months ago, the website gets a wee make over and a few tidbits are shown and then someone at Olympus decides we'll make everyone wait till October 17th 2007 to reveal the camera. In the meantime you've had people on the various forums speculating to no end on what the feature set is going to be, will it be competitive with the competition, what sensors being used NMOS/Fuji/Foveon, the competition announce their updated cam's, etc etc. I'm just hoping that after the 17th October that they can keep to whatever time-line theyre working on, that the UK/European price doesn't do a straight $USD swap and that Oly do have a camera that is competitive with D40/D300 or at least the D200.

Just my two cents

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2007, 8:26 AM   #2

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
someone at Olympus decides we'll make everyone wait till October 17th 2007 to reveal the camera
Maybe the camera really has some advanced capabilities and they're scrambling to get them worked out. We can only hope...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 10:40 AM   #3

hey Harj
yes E3 will want to be something dam special, or we will all look like tossers in outsized underwear. Im thinking the release in Oct, subsequent sales in Nov is geared to the production slot. If it isnt as compelling as all that, Ill use the money on 510 and a 7-14, nice compensation.

If its just a selected 510 sensor thats what I might do

cheers Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:52 AM   #4

Hi Ted/Riley

I had a wee play with a 510 and it personally wasn't for me, and I think Pana's L10 may also be the same in that regards, although I could be wrong until I actually get one to hold. My concern here is that they've done the same thing as Pana last year, build everyone up and then expect everyone to be excited about the product for several months before its revealed, and in the case of the L1, by August many would be purchasers had decided that they could not do that and that it was time to perhaps look elsewhere. Most people knew that the L1 would be based fairly close off the E330 and Pana had already announced earlier ball park specs for the L1. I wonder how many sales they had lost within that 2-3month period ? To make it worse nobody knew what the UK/European price would be, so people were presuming like myself that if the US price was 2000USD, then the UK price would be 2000GBP as it usually is and I'm sure that lost Pana even more would be purchasers.

It seems that Oly have taken this wee marketing strategy one step further! Unless Oly have something truely remarkable or revolutionary there really should be no reason for stringing people along for so many months esp, I could understand if Nikon and Canon had not announced the D300/40D yet but they have and this waiting game is worse than watching paint dry!

If the EP-1 is just a spec'd up E510 in a Pro body, I may just give it a miss and wait to see what Panaleica's Pro cam is next year and in the next few months pick up a DMC L1.

Cheers

HarjTT

Old Oct 6, 2007, 9:28 PM   #5

The camera hasn't been announced/revealed yet, so how do you expect them to market a camera that doesn't exist (at least until October 17th)?

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 4:12 AM   #6
OCD

I would suppose that Olympus see the camera as being a new generation for themin concept and design, andaround for the longer term, like perhaps the E1. The constant drip drip of information is something that Canon and to a lesser extent Nikonare immune to, simply because there isn't enough time between models being released to build the same head of steam. No sooner is a rumour started than the newmodel is released, people talk about it, and just at the point the 'critiques' die down, bam, another new model arrives to replace it. I'd suggest that if Canon hadn't updated the EOS 1Ds since its initial launch, then they would be in the same fervour of rumour and speculation as Olympus arenow.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 7:02 AM   #7

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
The camera hasn't been announced/revealed yet, so how do you expect them to market a camera that doesn't exist (at least until October 17th)?
Yaeh, they could release the specs early but then everyone would be clamoring for the actual camera, and they do have to get their production in place.

For me the make-or-break decision is whether the high-ISO performance is enough of an improvement over the 510, because it's way less expensive to get speed in the camera body than in fast lenses. Unfortunately, for that decision I'll probably have to wait for a review or two.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 8:24 AM   #8

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure how many people have come across this link posted over 4-3 a month or so ago, where Oly showed off the EP-1/E3 in South Korea.

http://www.4-3system.com/modules/new...hp?storyid=117

There's more pics here :

http://bbs.danawa.com/view.php?nSeq=...ogCateSeq1=409

To me when they've shown the camera in South Korea as in the links above and started "Olympus passion for Best" they have definitely been marketing the camera, although in an indirect way.

Cheers

HarjTT

Old Oct 8, 2007, 8:10 AM   #9

HarjTT can you be more specific about why you didn't feel the E510 was for you?

Thanks,

JP
RosemanJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 2:11 PM   #10

Hi JP

My reason's for not wanting the E510 are purely personal and have nothing to do with the camera's technical and IQ capabilities - so here's my "reasoning":

1. Ergonomics - the 510 didn't feel as comfortable to hold as i thought it would, although it is much better than the E410. Button layout and positioning kind of through me too, but I'm sure practice it would become second nature.
2. Viewfinder - much better and brighter than I thought it would be but you do notice the difference compared to the E1. Also I prefer the location of the LED info at the bottom of the VF.
3. Size and Weight - I never thought i'd complain about having a small and light camera but I did miss the extra size and weight the e1 has, esp when using it with a larger lens. The balance of the E1 with the 35-100F2 just seemed right while with the E510 it wasn;t quiet as good.
4. Mag Alloy body - the build quality of the 510/410 is excellent, but after seeing my E1 fall down a running escalator withe the lens attached and bounce 3 times before I could recover it, and survive, my next cam has to have a mag alloy body. I know at some point I'll drop it and if I'm really unlucky someone may drop it while attemptting to steal it again! So lets say it needs to be bounce proof.
5. Shutter - the e1's shutter is practically silent, even compared to its newer siblings, and I'm hoping the E3/EP-1 is exactly the same.

Other than the above I think the E510 is a seriously fine camera and I'm assuming the L10 will be as well but I think I've been very spoiled by the E1 and in terms of those features listed above, the E1's replacement is the only 4-3 or any other cam that fits the bill.

Just hope that helps clarify things.

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O

PS

Apologies to all _ i re-read one or two of my comments earlier and boy did it read as if I was ranting/raving.