Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 28, 2007, 5:45 PM   #1

I've been lurking around for the past couple of months and just couldn't stand it anymore. I just bought a "Mint" E-1 with less than 2000 actuations on it and the40-150 f3.5-4.5 lens. Got the lens on e-bay last week for $81.00 and it looks like brand new. I got the E-1 on the 4:3rds forum today and should have it Wed. or Thur. I can't wait to try it out. I'll post some shots as soon as I figure out how to use a DSLR. I'm kind of slow so it may take a while but I hope not.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2007, 2:59 AM   #2

Hey Don !

Nice to hear you picked up a classic! Its a really cracking camera even at only 5MP and the 40-150 at that price is just a steal. I'm lookign forward to seeing the shots.

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 7:37 AM   #3

Thanks HarjTT.

If I can just figure out how to use it now. I expect the learning curve to be quite steep as I have never used anything but the FZ series cameras. I just couldn't pass it up though. I'm also worried about it not havingIS. Iexpect I'm going to find out just how important that is now.

DonR
Old Oct 29, 2007, 2:03 PM   #4

Hi Don,

As another FZ user that got an E1, it does take a wee bit of time getting used to but once you start using it you'll notice that even now its cracker of a camera. I had thought I would never get a camera that did not have IS after having my FZ10 but you'd be amazed how slow the E1 can let you shoot - obviously good glass does help but its build, ergonomics and just that extra bit of weight really do help. I've been able to get 1/8s and slower handheld with the E1 +14-54ZD which I think is no mean feat and usually with the first shot. Here's a few examples all handheld:

1. F4 @ 1/15sec - ISO400. Printed very well at 8*10

2. F6.3 @ 1/3s ISO 200

3. F3.3 @ 1/3s ISO 400 @41mm (82mm 35 equivalent) - this one was taken at that speed by accident, and my first slow hand held shot.

4. [email protected] 1/5s ISO400 23mm ([email protected] FF equiv)

5. F4.5 @1/13s ISO400

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 3:35 PM   #5

That'sencouraging HarjTT. I tend to shake some so I may need to use my monopol. I thought if I could teach myself on the E-1 I would be able to handle any new Oly. DSLR I might want in the future. Those shots look very nice BTW. Do you use the grip and big battery with yours?

DonR
Old Nov 1, 2007, 8:18 AM   #6

Well, it came in late yesterday and looks just as described, a new camera! Now the work begines and I'll probably be asking some dumb questions if I can't figure something out after reading the manuel andworking withthe camera fot a few days.

Like I've always said "I'm kind of a slow study" This should be interesting since everything I know about photography is from here and using my FZ's

DonR
Old Nov 5, 2007, 12:02 PM   #7

Hi Don,

First of all Hello to all just joined in here. Will get me my usual avatar later and hopefully get some pics here soon.

I bought my first DSLR an E1 back in February and absolutely love it. Built the system upover the monthswith a grip, FS2 focus screen and the nice big eye cup that is available. I was using the 14-45 most of the time and also the 45-150 as well but last week I took the plunge and got me a 14-54. Hoping to test it a bit this week.

It is a great camera to learn on though as you say it is a big learning curve and for a few months I struggled. Found it hard to use a cam with no IS and the pictures seemed a bit flat. I persevered because the feel of the E1 is magnificent and I kept seeing cracking pictures onhere from people like HarjTT soI knew what it was capable of. Bit by bit I improved and am still learning and now I know my way around the E1 a bit better confidence is up and the results are getting better.

I have had some good results from jpeg because I wanted to learn how to dial in colour, white balance and other settings to learn because I wanted to get it right first time wherever possible. I am now planning to shoot in RAW and do a little PP in studio afterwards.

It is a fantastic camera to handle, very capable and very rugged. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do and stick with it. Hard at first but bit by bit it unlocks its magic

regards

John.
JG777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 3:28 PM   #8

Thanks for the info. John.

Do you like the larger eye cup?

I've played with it around the house for 4 days now and I'm taking it out to the lake tomorrow and see what I can do with the 40-150. I usually shoot birds and landscapes out there so I'll really know what the IS is doing for me with my V-LUX 1. So far it ain't lookin' to good. I normally shake quite a bit so I'm taking my monopod.

DonR

Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:44 AM   #9

The larger eyecup is definately better than the smaller one, far more comfortable. It does make it harder to adjust the diopter but you probably wont need to do that. Harder to operate the viewfinder curtain as well but not a big issue. One problem however is that it is very easy to lose it. When you walk about with cam draped around neck using strap it rubs against your clothes and can turn halfway and fall off. I had this happen to me many times and almost lost it once in a town.

Solution is to carry cam by hand using strap. I have heard some people using a mild glue to keep it on. Probably a bit overpriced for a lump of rubber but it does make viewing very comfortable.

John
JG777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:51 AM   #10

Thanks John. I may get one but the viewer that came with the camera is pretty good compared to what I had.

DonR