Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 1, 2007, 10:07 AM   #1

I have only done a few RAW conversions, some to test Bibble software and a small number for the learning experience with RawShooter. Usually shooting in RAW hasn't even been a consideration because of the amount of work involved and for the most part I have been pleased with SHQ jpg. Recently I found an occasion when I wished the files were at RAW because there was no way I could salvage what I was working with to a good result.

Last evening I did these of my granddaughter dressed in her costume for a party.

Shot in RAW, converted with RawShooter: What do you think of these?

E-300 14-54ZD f/4.5 1/160 @ 45mm ISO 400 w/E-300 flash

E-300 14-54ZD f/5.6 1/160 @ 45mm ISO 400 w/E-300 flash

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2007, 3:23 PM   #2

I think there good conversions from RAW looking at these sizes. The only time I now shoot in jpeg is if I want a quick snap of something for reference and I know I'll be back another day. All other time's I shoot in RAW and simply becuase I know if I do mess up ( and I do ) I know that theres a good chance that they can be rescued, What I've found with my E1 is that if I haven;t messed up the RAW files require just the minimal amount of PP and I'm more than happy to do that.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 10:52 AM   #3

Those look nice to me. What I wonder is how just much shooting Raw slowes you down on consecutive shooting. I shoot a lot of animanls and birds in consective shots.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:57 AM   #4

....hi Don,

I have not done enough RAW exercises to knowabout a lot of it. Harj likely can tell us both something about your question for multi-shot bursts.

Myabove photos were taken quite late in the afternoon when light was beginning to fade, thus I decided to do RAW so to salvage to good results, which I believe was accomplished. Too, I am learning the software ropes at the same time to convert the images.

I do believe I willshoot RAW more often butfor now, STILL LEARNING.

Thanks for the question, let's look for Harjand others with experience to post.

_____

boBB
Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:15 PM   #5

Hi Bob, Don

Although i do shoot RAW nearly all the time, I've yet to take a series of shots in a burst unless I've done it by accident. According to Steve's review of the E1 - it could shoot at 3fps - with a maximum of 12 frames sequential including RAW. I'm assuming that all Oly and PanaLeica, except the E3 are thus 3fps and either more or less 12 frames in a sequence. Whether thats enough for birding I'm not sure but i'm sure some of the other guys and gals would be able to tell.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?

Old Nov 24, 2007, 6:15 PM   #6

Hi Bob/Don and all !

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...-follies.shtml

Spotted the above piece by MichealR over at Luminous about shooting in RAW vs Jpg. Thought it might be of interest and help too.

Cheers

Harj

Old Nov 24, 2007, 7:01 PM   #7

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Spotted the above piece by MichealR over at Luminous about shooting in RAW vs Jpg. Thought it might be of interest and help too.
..........thanksHarj

The articlewas/is definitely of interest, it does support some of my own findings regarding flexibility for adjustments to RAW where .jpg won't allow similar adj.

I also have a C7070WZ Olympuswhich is a super duper camerawith whichI have begun tomake some RAW files.

Again thanks, I appreciate your interest in my endeavor for improvement.

boBBrennan