Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 17, 2007, 10:15 AM   #11

......text contents removed for sake of keeping this thread on topic
Old Nov 17, 2007, 11:01 AM   #12
Administrator

I got into a little earlier than that (I got my first Ham license in 1970 if memory serves). I used some of the SB Series Heathkit stuff while in the military (even though my personal gear was the HW series gear). We had an SB-102 and one of the Heathkit 2KW Linears (and I don't remember the model number for it). I spent 6 years in the U.S. Navy, and a ship I was on had a Ham Shack setup in an "Aux Radio Room" with Heathkit gear in it (not for military use).

At the time I was onboard, I happened to the only Amateur Radio Operator on the ship, and it was not uncommon for me to work 12 hours in Radio (we were "port and starboard"), then go to the Aux Radio Shack and make phone patches for the crew for a number of hours more (with crew members lined up waiting for their turn to call home). lol

I couldn't get by on the amount of sleep now that I got by with in my younger years. :-) But, we're probably getting a bit too far off topic (and as a moderator, I should know better). Many members may not care about radio type stuff. lol BTW, Steve is a Ham.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 12:00 PM   #13

......text contents removed for sake of keeping this thread on topic
Old Nov 18, 2007, 7:25 AM   #14

Hi Harj

Greatimages! I'm glad you like the lens as much as I do. Fortunately I can use a monopod with mine, but I also find the need for ISO800 or higher since I'm typically shootingin EV5 lighting conditions. Therefore theE3 is looking good to me also, for the high ISO and also the IS.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:17 AM   #15

Hi Ted

Glad you like the pics, I'm just hoping my cousin and her family will as well! I did tell her that I wasn;t sure if I could do any traditional wedding style shots and if thats what she wanted then she really should have a pro wedding shooter. I definetly could have used something like the E3's high ISO - well at least a very clean ISO800 but i stuck to ISO200/400. I do like the lens a lot and I'm glad I had it for the big day.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:56 AM   #16

Harj
I understand your hesitation, that would scare the b-jesus out of me, but it looks like you did a fab job, the colours are indeed marvelous, and the detail like embroidery is very sharp. I hope she's happy !

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 2:31 PM   #17

Hi Riley

Thanks for the comments on the pics and I'll know in a few weeks if theyre happy with the images that I took.

I'm working on getting the gallery ready with 100% crops so that anyone intreseted in the lens can take a look and check for themselves if its what they might need.

Jim, I've been thinking about the 14-35F2 but the more I think about it I keep coming back to the Leica D 25mm f1.4. It may actually be a better lens for me and also easier for the wallet to handle. From what I've seen it's razor sharp even at f1.4, can be had for $700USD, its not too big and for street shooting looks as if it's the ideal 4/3 lens. Now if Panaleica did a 11-25 F1.4 that would be seriously tempting and I wonder how big such a beastie would be ??

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 5:32 PM   #18

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I've got to ask.... is the 17-35mm f/2 on your shopping list when it starts shipping?
Jim, that lens has a fairly short focal range. The Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 is superb even wide open, and reasonably priced (especially for a Leica). To me it would be (and has been - I love that lens) the best solution, along with an upgraded Oly camera body with useable ISO 800 and 1600. And I predict that the total price of either option will be about the same, which means that getting the Leica and the E-3 or E510 is a better option because of the additional features of an upgraded Oly body (over the E-1).

Ted
Old Nov 20, 2007, 5:39 PM   #19
Administrator

I used a 35-70mm for >90% of my photos for a number of years with film.

A 14-35mm f/2 would be just fine for most of my photos (giving me the same angle of view I'd have with a 28-70mm lens on a 35mm camera), and f/2 with higher ISO speeds would be "sweet" from my perspective.

It's a good thing I don't have an Olympus DSLR. We just got a new properly tax bill -- hmmmm.... lens or house? :-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 8:35 AM   #20

JimC wrote:
Quote:
It's a good thing I don't have an Olympus DSLR. We just got a new properly tax bill -- hmmmm.... lens or house? :-)
I hear you. The ZD 35-100 f/2 was a big load for me, and now I'm telling myself I don't need any more lenses. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Ted