Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 17, 2007, 9:55 PM   #1

I picked up my E-510 today, so far I love it, and being my first DSLR I'm amazed with the photos it can take.

The only concern I have is when I shut off the camera it makes a small shuddering noise and there's a vibration. This happens every time, even if I turn it off and on again without doing anything.

Any idea if this is a problem?

Thanks,
Rob
robdesignguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:24 AM   #2

You aren't the first to ask this question and you won't be the last, but suggest you read the manual before asking your next question because this is covered in the manual and IT IS NORMAL!!!

If you have the IS on when you turn it off it will park itself and make this noise...if you didn't have the IS on there is no noise as it never unparked.

I'm not an E-510 user myself, but it is on page 36 of the electronic (PDF) version of the manual:
"When you turn off the camera, it may initialize the image stabilizer function. The camera will vibrate for this operation, but this is not a malfunction."

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:32 AM   #3

Thanks a lot, Mikefellh!!

You are entirely accurate, and I would not have figured that out today without going to see the guys at the store. What I get for being a newb!

Thanks again,
Rob
robdesignguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 3:35 AM   #4

I meant to post this link in my previous reply where you can learn some E-510 tips, as well as some general photography tips:
http://olympusdigitalschool.com/

It's free and doesn't require registration (unless you want to try to win the free camera).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote