Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 20, 2007, 11:01 AM   #1
Administrator

Olympus has released firmware updates for the E-1, E-300, E-330, E-410, E-500 and E-510.

These firmware updates improve focusing accuracy with the EC-20 Teleconverter, and the E-510 update also includes improvements to image stabilization at slower shutter speeds.

Update Information:

Olympus E-1 firmware version 1.5

Olympus E-300 firmware version 1.5

Olympus E-330 firmware version 1.3

Olympus E-410 firmware version 1.3

Olympus E-510 firmware version 1.2

Update Instructions:

Update Instructions for E-1

Update Instructions for E-330, E-330, E-500

Update Instructions for E-410, E-510

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2007, 11:10 AM   #2

thanks Jim
Im going to wait a few days because it will zero my setup and I need to shoot for work

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 1:07 PM   #3

Just when I thought that Olympus had listened to its users and produced a major firmware upgrade to its older cameras, it's only a minor upgrade so they can sell their blankety-blank teleconverter...Olympus, you've got a lot to learn about supporting users.

I've told this story before, but a few years ago I bought a computerized sewing machine, the Pfaff 2140...the company soon after brought out a new model the 2144 BUT rather than leaving users of the 2140 orphaned they brought out a firmware upgrade that gave the 2140 all the features of the current model. Not too long ago Pfaff came out again with another new model, the 2170 and again they brought out firmware upgrades to give users of the 2144 and 2140 the same features of the 2170.

Olympus, you can learn from this...give users of the older cameras the newer features, better noise reduction, multi-colour histograms, compressed ORFs, and all the other benefits of the newer models; I'm certainly going to take your lack of this type of support into consideration when I buy my next camera.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 4:36 PM   #4
OCD

Quote:
Olympus, you can learn from this...give users of the older cameras the newer features, better noise reduction, multi-colour histograms, compressed ORFs, and all the other benefits of the newer models; I'm certainly going to take your lack of this type of support into consideration when I buy my next camera.

I entirely agree. I bought a Ford Focus two years ago, just before Ford brought out the Ford GT, and they suck as much as Olympus for not upgrading my family hatch into a 200m.p.h. supercar. I told them flat that I'm not being unreasonable, but they ignored me! I even showed them where the engine would fit, despite the fundamental design of the Focus being entirely unable tohandle it.

But I suppose if anybody looked for a silver lining,they may notice the historical balance between 'upgrades' in Olympus Firmware updates, and 'bug fixes' that head the lists of other manufacturers updates. I don't care though, I would have prefered my E510 to be upraded to E3 spec, and not buy an E3. Well, wouldn't everybody expect the same service?
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 6:33 AM   #5

OCD wrote:
Quote:
I entirely agree. I bought a Ford Focus two years ago, just before Ford brought out the Ford GT, and they oops as much as Olympus for not upgrading my family hatch into a 200m.p.h. supercar. I told them flat that I'm not being unreasonable, but they ignored me! I even showed them where the engine would fit, despite the fundamental design of the Focus being entirely unable tohandle it.
Um, there's a difference between upgrading the hardware and the instructions that runs the product...in the case of the camera I'm not talking about upgrading the sensor or any of the chips, but instead the instructions that operate the hardware so your example is a moot point.

Using your car example, there are different firmwares available for the car's engine management computer that you can get that changes the way the engine performs...for instance if you tow a boat you can get a firmware that changes the shift timing (for automatic transmissions), and increase idle speed to prevent stalling (something which I had done to my previous car which was several years old and no longer made).

And going back to my sewing machine example again no hardware was changed, instead a firmware upgrade was downloaded to upgrade the firmware of a machine that's OLDER than the E-300 to give it the firmware and features of a recently released machine.

Maybe I'm from an older generation that believes you should support the people who have made you money. Years ago I've written a computer program for retail that only supported one (provincial) sales tax...when the country added a second (federal) sales tax I didn't go around charging the users for the upgrade, instead I contacted them and gave them an upgrade for the 2nd tax (along with some additional new features) for FREE.

It's a way to keep people loyal to your brand; there's a saying that it's much cheaper to keep a customer than to get a new one. People will eventually want a new camera no matter what, either due to more MP, or the camera simply wears out or needs a repair that costs more than replacing it.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 8:53 PM   #6

I agree. If the older hardware can support the new features then they should come out with new firmware to give the current users the new features.

I have a Microsoft Zune 30, Microsoft just came out with there new "Zune 2" players. But they also came out with a firmware update that gave my old Zune 30 all the new features. Now I don't really care about most of the new features, but it was nice to know I did not have to Buy a new player just to get the featuers.

I am not asking Olympus to give my E-500 "IS" or Live View. I know that can not be done. But if there are other features of the newer cameras that can also work with my camera, it would be nice if they release a firmware update that gave me those features also.

gwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 2:58 AM   #7
OCD

Well I'd like to know what hardware the E1, E330 and E510 are likely to sharebetween themthat can be updated with a common generic firmware upgrade? Tweaks to the firmware for instance that improve focusing accuracy, or metering etc,would suppose all the focus pointsand meters in the cameras are as fast and as sensitive as each other. Even between the E330 and the E510 these hardwarefeatureshave changed and been improved, so updating focus on one may mess up the focus on another if it simply can't work that fast, or as sensitively. Those points are just examples of what a manufacturer is having to deal with.

The internals of a sewing machine, and car, and even PC's, are far lessmodel specific than a modern camera. Changing the towing characteristics of a car is stone age technology by comparison, and only one stage on from a good mechanic doing it with a screw driver.

On cars and sewing machines, advances go at relatively slow pace. They are in the realm of 'industrial' products thataccept slow change because the manufacturers know the customers will not upgrade every year even if a new product is offered. It used to be the case with cameras, and it may be again one day. But for the time being older and 'consumer' cameras will be left behind. Only buying top end (in almost any area of technology), like an EOS 1ds MkIII or E3, will from historical experience yield a longish shelf life, simply because the pro market is much more conservative, and loyal, and the product is built up to the maximum available knowledge.

But to say that you will look critically at Olympus for not providing trickle down firmware, even if it were possible to incorporate it with the older hardware, doesleave you open to not having a camera in the future at all, of any brand, 'if'you apply the same critical standard across the board.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote