Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 25, 2007, 6:41 PM   #11

Harj-

I leave again on 11/30 for 2 more months of digital camera lecturing on the Diamond Princess followed b the Pacific Princess. So here is one more photo. This was from a challenge to get the very most out of a simple Kodak Z-612 camera. I think I did pretty well. Luckily, I chanced upon a fog back forming to the south in our cove while at the same time a great sunset was taking place. It was a lucky shot.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 7:56 PM   #12

I really like the one of the fireworks. Which camera did you use for that one? They are both good. I am envious of you for being gone on a cruise for two months. I am awaiting your comparison of the previously mentioned cameras. Enjoy your cruise and keep us updated. Thanks
notaclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 9:40 PM   #13

Notaclue-

We will not leave until 11/30. However, we will be home just twice for less than 7 days between now and mid May 2008. So it does have some downsides to it as well.

So, if I get the E-510 on Tuesday 11/27 as scheduled, I will be able to give a good capsule view of the E-510. Here is a E-410 photo that I took today of my husband. The E-410 is no slouch either.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 26, 2007, 6:15 PM   #14

Notaclue-

I had to cancel out the E-510 order today as Amazon extended their delivery date to 12/01, which is after we are scheduled to depart for our next contract.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 26, 2007, 7:06 PM   #15

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Harj-

So here is one more photo. This was from a challenge to get the very most out of a simple Kodak Z-612 camera. I think I did pretty well. Luckily, I chanced upon a fog back forming to the south in our cove while at the same time a great sunset was taking place. It was a lucky shot.

Sarah Joyce
I think it is a great shot as well. Thanks for sharing. However the EXIF data says the camera was a Nikon E5400. Ah, the problems of being able to share samples with the rest of us from so many cameras. Sorry to hear you had to cancel your 510 order and looking forward to your return.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 4:37 PM   #16

How do you check the EXIF data on a photo? I have never figured that out. Thanks
notaclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 6:36 PM   #17

notaclue wrote:
Quote:
How do you check the EXIF data on a photo? I have never figured that out. Thanks
There are a number of ways to check the EXIF data. Most require downloading the file which is what I did last night as I was using a school computer. Once downloaded most photo editors and even Windows itself can read most of the data. To read the data with Windows XP right click on the file, select Properties, click the Summary tab and if present click the Advanced button (if there's no Advanced button you're looking at the EXIF). My simple photo editor of choice is IrfanView. To view the EXIFdata in IrfanViewclick Image on the menu and select Information, click the EXIF button on the Information window. MS Photo Manager (part of Office 2003) will read EXIF data as well.

To read the data without downloading the file Opanda has a browser add-in that allows reading with a right mouse click.

Links to IrfanView and Opanda can be found on Steve's-Digicams' Software page: http://www.steves-digicams.com/digsoftware.html.

Old Nov 27, 2007, 7:49 PM   #18

Well I made one more stab at it. I ordered an Olympus E-510 from www.dbuys.com today (11/27). I am really not at all sure that I will receive the E-510 on Thursday, 11/29, but I have made a very serious attempt to get the E-510 here before we leave on Friday, 11/30. Give me credit for that!

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:25 PM   #19

Hope it arrives in time because all of us would like to hear your opinion:-)
Old Nov 28, 2007, 7:10 AM   #20

Sarah,

this is going of tack a bit but I was told not to take pics of the Sun as it can damage the sensor.Obviously you being an instructor would know about this and disagree I imagine ,hence your sunset photos ,or do you avoid the full glare of the Sun .I would be interested to know. I stated that I had owned several DSLRs which was a mistake, I meant S L R s(film) .I have been into digital just two years with the F Z 7.

So far I've avoided the Sun in my pics.Which I didn't with my film cameras.

Thanks in anticipation.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote