Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:02 AM   #21

deadshot-

Personally I have found that the most image effective sunrise and sunsets are those where the sun is very near, or at the effective horizon. After glow images are also very effective. Otherwise, I have determined through experimentation that the sun over powers the exposure and the result is a very bright sun with darkness in the balance of the photo.

The old adage about not photographing the sun dates back many years. Will it damage today's cameras? Probably not, if you keep it to a minimum. However, in the long term there might be some cameras that could indeed be affected. Let's just say, based on the fact that we are discussing "all cameras" that there could be some cameras that might have their exposure measuring system affect.

So no more shots of the noon day sun, as even if the camera is unaffected, your own eyes could be damaged. That is a caution you will find in most camera instruction manuals.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:09 AM   #22

deadshot wrote:
Quote:
this is going of tack a bit but I was told not to take pics of the Sun as it can damage the sensor.
This answer won't be as authoritative as you were looking for but I do have some experience having damaged both a film and a digital camera with the sun but have also taken successful sunsets.

There are really two issues, damage to the user and damage to the camera. Any camera with an optical viewfinder (including DSLRs) provide no protection for the users eyes. LCD/EVF don't offer a direct optical path so do protect the users eyes.

The key to protecting sensor (and to some extentthe user's eyes) is the angle of the sun in the sky. The lower the sun is on the horizon the less intense the light (IR, visible, and UV). Sarah's photo was taken right at sunset which is about as low on the horizon as you can get. I have heard that two hours before sunset is OK as long as long as you only point the camera at the sun for no longer than required to compose and take the shot (no tripod!) My personal rule is about 30 min. before sunset.

Both cases of damage (film and digital) it occurred 4 to6 hours before sunset.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:10 AM   #23

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
deadshot wrote:
Quote:
this is going of tack a bit but I was told not to take pics of the Sun as it can damage the sensor.
This answer won't be as authoritative as you were looking for but I do have some experience having damaged both a film and a digital camera with the sun but have also taken successful sunsets.

There are really two issues, damage to the user and damage to the camera. Any camera with an optical viewfinder (including DSLRs) provide no protection for the users eyes. LCD/EVF don't offer a direct optical path so do protect the users eyes.

The key to protecting sensor (and to some extentthe user's eyes) is the angle of the sun in the sky. The lower the sun is on the horizon the less intense the light (IR, visible, and UV). Sarah's photo was taken right at sunset which is about as low on the horizon as you can get. I have heard that two hours before sunset is OK as long as long as you only point the camera at the sun for no longer than required to compose and take the shot (no tripod!) My personal rule is about 30 min. before sunset.

Both cases of damage (film and digital) it occurred 4 to6 hours before sunset.
Sounds like good advice .I guess the guy who sold me the camera was being on the safe side .

Thanks both of you.

deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:52 PM   #24

Just a quick follow-up note regarding my order for the Olympus E-510 from http://www.dbuys.com. I am sorry to say that they were unable to deliver by tomorrow 11/29 either. I was hoping for too much, and I do understand the constraints.

So we will head off on the next contract early on Friday morning, 11/30 , taking with us the Olympus E-410 equipped with the Olympus 14-42mm kit lens and the older Olympus 40-150mm lens, along with the Olympus FL-50 flash.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all. We will be home for just 4 days in January before we head off once again on a Fort Lauderdale (departing 01/10) to Sydney, Australia cruise.

Sarah Joyce
Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:13 AM   #25

:homey:Sarah

A merry Christmas and a Happy and prosperous New Year to you and your family also .

John
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:15 PM   #26

John-

A quick follow-up: I did manage to snag one of the new and much smaller Zuiko F 4.0 40-150mm lenses. Optically it looks to be very nice indeed. The image quality is wonderful. I found the lens on E-bay.

Here is a sample photo from the Zuiko F 4.0 40-150mm lens.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:19 PM   #27

And as a follow-up to my earlier comments regarding the Nikon D-40X equipped with the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens. Here is a sample from the 18-200mmVR lens which I honestly believe is a lesser image quality than the Zuiko F 4.0 40-150mm lens.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:29 PM   #28

And to complete the promised cycle. Here is the photo that the FZ-18 took. I believe that it falls below both the Nikon D-40X with the Nikkor 18-200mmVR lens, and the Olympus E-410 with the Zukio F 4.0 40-150mm lens.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images