Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 22, 2007, 10:29 PM   #1

I am still trying to decide what camera to buy and now that the E510 has dropped in price it is back in my list. How happy are you with your decision to purchase one? How does it do for low light portraits? Does anyone have and examples you would like to share? I would like to avoid the flash and wondered how it handles those situations. What do you considerit strengths and what are it's weakest area? Thanks for the help!
notaclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2007, 11:00 PM   #2

With SLR cameras your choice of lens will make a difference in performance...if you just get the inexpensive starter/kit lenses that comes with the body you won't get the low light performance that you will with a more expensive lens that has a larger opening.

With any camera you have to understand and live within the limits of photography...I suggest you do some reading here to learn not only about the E-510 itself, but also about using cameras for low light shots and portraits:
http://olympusdigitalschool.com/

The E-510's strengths compared to other brands are the SSWF sensor cleaning (there are E-1 users who have never cleaned their sensor in all of the years they owned the camera), and built-in IS (giving your image stabilization with every fourthirds lens). The 2x multiplication of the focal length is both a benefit and a negative...it's a benefit in that what is 150mm to other cameras is 300mm on fourthirds, but if you want to do ultra-wide angle shooting you only have the 8mm fisheye, the expensive 7-14mm, and the 11-22mm...there's supposed to be a less expensive ~8-16mm (specs haven't been finalized yet) coming out some time next year.

Just a comment about flash, while on-camera flash is unflattering (because it flattens the image), it can be a useful tool if you make the effort to learn how to use it properly...the link I gave above has some tutorials.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 3:47 AM   #3
OCD

Mikefellh makes the very good point that no camera will deliver unless you give proper thought to the lens you will use for low light portraits. So price drops and the spec of the body make little difference if this is the only thing that will affect your purchase.

A fast lensmay beessential and these don't come cheap. Otherwise like any other DSLR in the marketplace, the E510 is pretty good at all the things it does. The Image Stabilization in the camera body makes for a small and compact setup mated with the right lens, and it doeswork very wellin low light, giving another four stops of usable shutter speed (so long as your subject doesn't move of course). There will be some noticable image noise starting at 500 ISO, but you'd get that with any similar DSLR.Accept it like film grain, or use some noise reduction software, and any 'problem' goes away.

I have just bought a new E3, but I'm keeping my E510 because it fits the digital niche that my Leica film camera is great at performing in, people photo's, low light, hand held, easy to use, and small, and backed up with a series of lenses that outshine any opposition. I don't think there is anything to dislike about the E510 if you look at it realistically, which is to say beware on the internet of people who think every camera should be personally designed for their requirementsalone, and also the perception that if it doesn't perform at the very extremes then it fails by default. Its a great medium priced DSLR.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 7:43 PM   #4

I just went with the E-510 today (11/23). Yes, it has limited dynamic range and a goodly number of other "bobbles." However, I like Olympus and I am willing to create a few "work arounds" to get the most out of the E-510. Wish me a lot of luck.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2007, 8:42 AM   #5

You will have to let me know how you think it compares to the Pentax K100D. I still am trying to decide. I also have the Nikon D40 in the mix. The size of the E510 is still a draw for me. Tried the relatives D80 and D200 Nikon at Thanksgiving and they still seem very heavy. Good luck with yours and please report back.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 5:17 PM   #6

notaclue-

I own and use the pentax K100D, the Nikon D-40 and D-40X as well as other DSLR cameras as I am a professional Digital Camera Instructor. The camera is suppossed to arrive on Tuesday, November 27th, so once I have updated the firmware and gotten comfortable with the E-510, I will post some photos and comments. I am glad that I can help out. Here is a sunrise photo taken today with my E-500.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 24, 2007, 7:10 PM   #7

Hey Sarah

Thats soo cool being an instructor ! Do we have a gallery that we can have a quick look at your work ?

I'm looking forward to seeing some shots from the 510 when you get it. Do you have any plans for the E3 or any of the other semi-pro cams?

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2007, 8:16 PM   #8

So when you head out the door to do some shooting which of those cameras do you grab first? Wish you had the E510 already, was hoping to make a decision sooner rather than later. Hope the mail service is on time.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 9:45 PM   #9

Harj-

I am sorry to say that there is no formal gallery yet. However, as you can see with over 6,100 posts done on this Forum, most with photos, many have seen a lot of my work. here is another for you.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 24, 2007, 9:50 PM   #10

Notaclue-

I usually attempt to match the DSLR to the job/task However, it you are not into post processing your images bigtime, then you might want to grab the Nikon D-40 or D-40X.

Yep, I have to wait for that delivery date on Tuesday 11/27 too. There is just no way to speed it up, I am sorry to say.

Sarah Joyce