Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:21 PM   #1

Hello,

I have been playing around with taking pictures of my daughter. I find the pictures look great on the E-500 LCD. However, whenI download the pictures to the computer they are too dark. I have to adjust the levels in Photoshop to make the pictures acceptable.

Now, most of these pictures are taken in Auto mode and I am using the FL-36 flash. I have played around with the settings but I'm not having much luck. One thing I found tonight was the exposure compensation. If I set this to +.7 or +1, the picture is brighter.

I realize this is my inexperience and I am planning on taking a photography class to build my knowledge. But, until this happens, I would like to get your feedback on what I may be doing wrong.

I appreciate your help.

Bob
osubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2007, 3:39 AM   #2
OCD

Quote:
However, whenI download the pictures to the computer they are too dark.

At the risk of stating the obvious, have you tried calibrating your monitor, or at least turning up the brightness on it just to check this isn't the main problem?

Many display adapters have calibration software included nowadays, and you can also use Adobe Gamma (which is installedalongside Photoshop) to set your monitors brightness and colours. This would be my first port of call, but I would also reset the camera to default (unless you have any special settings saved) just to rule out any deeper menu functions that may have inadvertantly been changed and are overiding what you see, like the display gain on the camera's rear screen etc.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:10 AM   #3

Hi Bob

OCD's first tip to check your monitor is more than likely what the problem is, as I've had the same thing with my E1. What I've realised is my monitor even though its a top 21" CRT Mitsubshi is around -0.5 to -1 EV. You can do a quick check by just going to the link below:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ART/CalHoriz3.gif

Even at max brightness my monitor when looking at that image - the box next to the black just about stands out.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:31 AM   #4

Thank you for your replies. I also went down the monitor calibration path. I went online to find a calibration tool like the one you posted here. I don't believe I have a monitor issue.

The reason why I think the issue is with the camera setting is that when I adjust the image in photoshop, the histogram is biased to the dark side of the scale.

I will try to reset the camera and see if that has any effect.

Thank you,

Bob
osubob is offline   Reply With Quote