Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 25, 2007, 3:58 PM   #1

I have an old Olympus OM-1. Is there any chance my Olympus lenses will work on a new Olympus Digital SLR body?
whfmznb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2007, 5:04 PM   #2

Yes, but you'll have to use stop down metering. You just need to get an OM to 4/3rds adapter and then use it on any 4/3 rd cam you want to purchase. Check out for lots of useful info:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/index.html

Cheers

harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 7:33 PM   #3

Harj-

I would like to learn more about effectively using OM lenses, as the are so inexpensive on E-bay. Can you also give me your evaluation of the Zuiko 35mm lens??

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:28 AM   #4
OCD

OM lenses will work with an adaptor, as will other brands of legacy lenses using an appropriate adaptor. For myselfI like the idea of Contax lenses on an Olympus body.

Until now the focus confirmation and any other electrical connection to the camera body has been off limits as the adaptors (Olympus or aftermarket brands)were purely a bayonet-to-bayonet adaptors. But just coming onto the market are 'Dandelion' chips that come fitted to an adaptor, or are fitted retrospectively. These are a revolution, because not only do they give focus confirmation in the viewfinder, but on a camera like an E510 or E3, they also enable the Image Stabilization to work with the legacy lens. They are only aftermarket accessories at the moment, and it doesn't seem like Olympus will join the party anyway, so you have to get them from Ebay or such like. Here is an example

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...:IT&ih=002
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 5:34 AM   #5

I just don't understand why Oly refuse to enable focus confirmation on any of the newer cam's. There's no excuse not too esp as PanaLeica have had this available in the L1 for sometime and I think they did it via a firmware update.

Sarah, I've got no experience with the 35mm OM Zuiko (I do have the 135mm f3.5 whcih is excellent) but if you check the site below, it covers nearly every OM lens with both the E1 and E330:

http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/omz_e330.html

If your looking for a portrait lens, then OCD is spot on about the Contax Carl Zeiss lenses on the Oly's. Before I was asked to do the wedding I was about to buy a Contax CZ 50mm F1.4, and I may still do esp now with the 'Dandelion' available so that I can have an inexpensive but excellent fast low light lens.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2008, 7:35 PM   #6

OCD wrote:
Quote:
OM lenses will work with an adaptor, as will other brands of legacy lenses using an appropriate adaptor. For myselfI like the idea of Contax lenses on an Olympus body.

Until now the focus confirmation and any other electrical connection to the camera body has been off limits as the adaptors (Olympus or aftermarket brands)were purely a bayonet-to-bayonet adaptors. But just coming onto the market are 'Dandelion' chips that come fitted to an adaptor, or are fitted retrospectively. These are a revolution, because not only do they give focus confirmation in the viewfinder, but on a camera like an E510 or E3, they also enable the Image Stabilization to work with the legacy lens. They are only aftermarket accessories at the moment, and it doesn't seem like Olympus will join the party anyway, so you have to get them from Ebay or such like. Here is an example

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...:IT&ih=002
I don't know how I missed this thread but it's really interesting. "Dandelion" Huh?! If and when I get hold of the E3 I'll have to look into it more. I won't be able to get lenses right away but I do have some 'old' legacy glass Zuiko and Vivitar that I used on my OM1&2.

I used the old Zuiko 50mm 1.2 a lot plus I have the 35-70 and 70-150 also in Zuiko.
For portraits Iused to likethe Vivitar 135mm 1.4 and have a 28mm 1.25 wide angle along with that 600mm f8 mirror lens.

I don't know if I'd have a use for the Zooms with the new system and 28mm (56mm) doesn't sound that wide anymore does it?

But the 50 (100) - 135 (270) and the 600 (gives a massive 1200mm) I think I could learn to enjoy them again if that dandelion is what they say..

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote