Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:11 AM   #11

deadshot-

Here is the photo sample taken with the Nikon D-40X and the Nikkor 18-200mmVR lens. There was a bit of overhead shadowing from the bounce flash, but it will give you a comparison photo from the Nikkor 18-200mmVR.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 12:34 PM   #12

http://www.adorama.com/IOM18180.html Hello Sarah,

have a look at this .Click on the left thumbnail of the Zebras to enlarge it .I thought at first it could be a depth of field problem but I think not. It's the worst example of corner softness I have ever seen.I would be interested in your comments. Hopefully it is some sort of shooting error.?

By the way I put your last two pics in photoshop and slightly sharpened the Nikon one .It came up very nice ,perhaps the Nikon is set softer by default.?

Regards
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 3:56 PM   #13

John-

Here is a size comparison of the Nikon D-40X with the Nikkor 18-200mmVrlens and the E-410 with the Zuiko 18-180 lens. Due to the VR on the Nikon lens it does do a bit better optically. However, that is to be expected when one examines the cost.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 4, 2008, 4:14 PM   #14

Thats quite a difference especially as the 18-180 has the longer reach.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 7:48 PM   #15

John-

Yes, I thought that might make my point. Both camera and lens set-ups are good. It all comes down to how much money you want to spend. You make the call, please.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 5, 2008, 5:54 AM   #16

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
John-

Yes, I thought that might make my point. Both camera and lens set-ups are good. It all comes down to how much money you want to spend. You make the call, please.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah,

at the moment the E510 +18-180 and D40x +18-200 V R are near enough the same price ,adding to both the cost of filters spare batteries and 2 GB of memory the Nikon comes outapprox $60 dearer at the most.

So it's just a matter of deciding which will give the best results.

Thanks for your help in this.

John

Old Jan 5, 2008, 7:53 AM   #17

John -

That is indeed good news! Given that information, I would lead toward the Nikon, if you do not have any lenses currently in hand. Here in the USA, the price difference is much more dear. As an instructor, I have a bit of everything.

My only objection to the Olympus E-510 is that you have to employ a number of "work arounds" to get really good photos. Read the www.dpreview.com review on the E-510 and you will see what I mean. The necessary "work arounds" are easy to put in place, but the also might be a bother to somebody not used to them.

The Nikon D-40 and D-40X are much more straight forward and do not require any "work arounds."

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 5, 2008, 12:10 PM   #18

Thanks for all the info Sarah.

Luckily I have no Nikon or Olympus bits so I have a clear field .The only thing I have is a dedicated flash on my Canon film slr but as yet there are no I S lenses that interest me for the 400d .I looked at the Sigma OS a while back and didn't like it.

Regards John
Old Jan 5, 2008, 10:38 PM   #19

John-

I actually have been very impressed by the Tamron 18-250mm lens. As long as you keep the shutter speed in the upper ranges, it does a very nice job. I have shot with the Sigma 18-200mmOS lens as well. It does not quite have the reach of the Tamron 18-250mm lens, but it is a very creditable lens.

For now, my Nikon D-40X with the Nikkor 18-200mmVR will have to keep me happy.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:23 PM   #20

If one is not already committed to a camera brand because of currently owned lenses; then do not compare only the initial cost of the camera. A system (such as Nikon), that does not have IS built into the camera itself will require a greater cost every time you purchase a lens in the future. ( You have to buy a lens with built-in IS, which is more expensive.)

On a system where the IS is built into the camera body, (such as Olympus, Sony, Pentax, etc.) your cost of lens will be significantly less over the life of the camera. And perhaps even more important, you will have IS no matter which lens you use with your camera. Your older Nikon lens will not provide IS on the newer Nikon's. (True for any lens based IS system, not just Nikon cameras.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote