Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 27, 2007, 8:47 AM   #1

I have just realised I should have posted this here instead of "what camera shouldI buy"

Does anyone have any experience of the E510 plus the 18-180 zoom lens?, does the stabilisation work at the long end?. Ireally like the look of the E510 but for the same moneyI can get the Nikon d40X plus 18-200 VR lens.Comparing the two on review sites is difficult as the combination of lens and bodys are not usuallyfound.I like to do low light and wild life shots in a portable set up(not too heavy ) so multi lenses is not for me anymore.

Thanks for any input
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:32 AM   #2

deadshot-

Neither the Nikkor 18-200mmVR lens nor the Zuiko 18-180mm lenses do well in low light conditions when zoomed out to near their max zoom capability, due to the reduction in aperture down to as much as F 6.3.

Comparing the E-510 with the Zuiko 18-180mm lens and the Nikon D-40X with the Nikkor 18-200VR lens, I can be realistic as I have used both. IMHO the Nikon D-40 with the 18-200mmVR lens would give you better image quality without a lot of fiddling around with noise reduction and sharpening that is needed on the E-510.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:56 AM   #3

Thanks for that Sarah
Old Nov 29, 2007, 7:43 AM   #4

I have the e510 with the 18-180 lens. I bought it precisely because it gave me such a long focal length range (36-360 in 35 mm terms because of the 2x factor of the Oly), and because this combination is still light enough to take anywhere. The Nikon 18-200 will give you an effective focal length of 27-300. I prefer tight telephoto shots and do relative less wide angle, so that is a factor for me.

My requirement was for a small light travel package. I have been VERY impressed with the image quality which is better than the kit lens in the comparison pics I took. I was able to get long telephoto shots of penguins, and seals using the IS. I am very happy with the image quality and have printed some shots at 16x20. Specatcular.

My previous camera was a Nikon 5700 with a top quality 35-280 8x zoom, but only 5 mp. Forgetting the mp difference, the Olympus 18-180 lens outperformed the Nikon 5700 by a long shot - I was curious enough to to side by side comparisons.

I cannot compare IQ to the Nikon you are looking at, and in any case it's a different set of specs - heavier and with less focal length range. I can only day that the e510 does what I want -I do not hesitate to grab it and go... size and weight mean a lot to me.
bobbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 9:11 AM   #5

bobbert-

Thanks for the reply. It is always very helpful to get some real life experience with certain camera and lens combinations. I personally do not have the Zuiko 18-180mm nor the E-510. Instead I am shooting with the E-410, the Zuiko 14-42mm kit kens, and the Zukio 40-150mm. Your comments have increased my interest in the E-510 and the Zuiko 18-180mm lens.

I have shot extensively with the Nikon D-40 and D-40X and the Nikkor 18-200mmVR lens and it is a very nice set-up with great image quality in a rather compact package.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:11 AM   #6

To Deadshot as well as Sarah, I just wanted to let you know that I am currently using the 18-180mm with my E-500 (no IS) about 90% of the time. When I need something a little wider, I use the 14-45mm kit lens, and when I need something long but brighter, I use the 40-150mm kit lens (I have the F3.5-4.5 version). However, most of the time I'm using the 18-180mm. At times it can take a little more work to get the shot in dim lighting conditions, but since I'm a firm believer in using available light when it's available, but otherwise I'll break out the second sun (Vivitar 285HV -- haha) and make my own available light. FYI, the flash works great with the 18-180mm, too (no problems with "snout" shadows).

I can only imagine that the 18-180mm would be even easier to use with the E-510's IS. I agree with Bobbert in that it is a slightly better lens than the kit lenses (which is really saying something because the kit lenses are very nice). I picked up my 18-180mm brand new from BuyDig.com for only $300 after rebate, which is quite a deal for a 10x zoom lens. I think the 18-180mm is a very under-rated lens, and unjustly so, but I guess it's all relative and greatly depends on your subject matter or type of photography.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:38 AM   #7

I recently got my hands on the Nikor 18-200 vr lens and the Oly 18 -180 unfortunetly the shop did not have any C F cards I could buy (just sold out),so I could only look at the pics on theL C Dbut they looked good .The Nikon was set up and handed to me to shoot with asI have my own S D card but whenI got homeand put them on my comp.I found the I S O had been fixed at 1600 ,I thought the salesman had put it on auto iso.On the upside the Nikor looked good even on 1600 iso.What I want to do now is go back buy a card ,bang off a few shots with both and have a look side by side,this time I will not be caught out by the high iso.I will let you know how I get on,the shop is a long way away though,so it wont be too soon.

Thanks for your comments.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 8:30 PM   #8

deadshot-

A quick update. We just arrived home this afternoon after a month of teaching. The Zuiko 18-180mm that I won on e-bay was here waiting for me. I took a couple of shots with my E-410 and the new lens. I must say that I am very pleased with the Zuiko 18-180mm lens. I also shot some side by side shots using my Nikon D-40X and the Nikkor 18-200mmVR lens, and I must say that the E-410 shots are a bit better to my eye.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 3, 2008, 9:21 PM   #9

Here is another sample photo taken with the E-300 using the Zuiko 18-180 lens.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 4, 2008, 6:35 AM   #10

Hello Sarah I hope you had an enjoyable vacation .

Thanks for the info. I would be very interested to know how they compare in low light and also at the long end.

Thanks for coming back so soon.