Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:00 PM   #1

had my E3 about a 6 days now and im loving it
has some curious menu items

select an image
go to menu
third menu down (>
go to 'edit'
press 'ok'
'shadow adj' should come up, select it
press 'ok'

the original is kept and a new image saved
this is near where i live over at the shielas place, looking up a setting sun

this is the shadow adjusted image

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:18 PM   #2

......I think that is pretty neat for in-camera adjustment, good result there. Saving to a seperate file makes sense to me.

I am thinking of getting the E3 in addition to my E 300.

However, I have the 14-54ZD and 50-200ZD for lenses and am tossing around in my thoughts of the E-510, EC-14 and possibly the 11-22 instead of all the money going to the E3.

I believe you have the 11-22 don't you.

I read your comments and value your opinions so keep posting your E3 finds.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 1:34 PM   #3

Hi Rob

Thought you were a bit quiet on the forum and now we know why ! Good news on the new cam. I had a wee play with an E3 today and I'll post my thoughts on the cam in a wee bit from now.

Cheers

Harj

:G :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:23 PM   #4

Hi guys
yes its been a nice experience with a new camera, thing is out here you dont get to see what they look like before you get your hands on it, so I had to operate on what I could glean from the web to make my mind up.

Somewhere in there I realised that its all about exposure, and thats the trick this thing does very well. Yes AF is better, yes the OVF is clearer bigger brighter, yes noise at iso is improved, but its real trick is in exposure it just nails it.

Shooting an interior today (not sure what this place is like) so its the first real test of what it has to do.

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:21 PM   #5

Hi Rob

Looking forward to interior shots - did you get the body only or with the 12-60 ? I know you have the 11-22 or did you go and get the 7-14 instead ?

Agree with the exposures - from my 10-15 mins with eth E3 it6 looked as if it was nailing it spot on. I'm finding that my E1 in centre weighted can be actually -2EV out, even though its showing just -1/3-2/3 in the VF. I think that drop is finally taking effect - I bought the Lastolite Ezybalance exposre/WB to help try and fix that.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 3:50 PM   #6
OCD

The 'SAT' mirrors what can be done with the original shot by using 'Auto Gradation'. It 'lifts' the shadows if necessary when converting from RAW to JPEG, or is embedded in the original JPEG if shooting JPEG.

With RAW images the Olympus Master 2 software gives the option to change the in camera settings back to 'Normal', 'Auto' etc. On the other hand ACR ignores 'Auto Gradation' (aka SAT in the camera edit menu), or any otherGradation settings,and you just use the more flexible 'Fill Light' option in ACR RAW editor. The ACR IMO gives a far better and more refined result than either the in camera editing or Olympus Master 2. And for images that arealready converted from ACR RAW without the 'Fill Light' option being used, then the same is again possible using the 'Shadow/Highlight' set of options in PS3.

Much as I love my E3, the SAT or Auto Gradation are nothing more than normal post edit functions applied in camera. A godsend for quick workflow, but nothing special in the scheme of things.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote