Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 29, 2007, 3:17 PM   #21

I think any camera will have contrast problemswith these situations regardless of offsets.Since animage pickup can't change exposure across it's surface it has to pick either a general area of the framed subject and average the exposureor picka specific point(s) as in spot metering. Either way some parts of the pic will have exposure problems. A camera needs help in these situations.Have you considered filters? A polarizing filter may be what you need.Wikepedia has a good article concerning filters in general. If you Google you'll find more info.

Dennis
erutcip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 3:47 PM   #22

I understand the difficulties in handling high contrast and that most cameras will have some trouble dealing with it, but not to this extreme.

Let's look at a different picture. This is a picture of my pool pump. No direct sunlight (in fact, no sun at all). The E510 has a very difficult time handling the white pipes. I'll post the full picture and then a cropped portion of it showing the blown highlights. Once again, the only change in camera setting between these shots was the Ev and once again, I'll post the images in increments of 0.7 since the steps in between are irrelevant.

Full image at Ev 0. The overall exposure is not that bad. The cobbles, pump, fence and foliage are OK. I tiny bit over exposed but acceptable. However, the white pipes are definitely over blown as well as the golden bit on top of the grey metal box.
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 3:51 PM   #23

Here's a cropped portion of the image. As you can see, the white pipe at the bottom left and the gold metal piece at the top of the box are all over exposed. All the details have been lost.
Attached Images

Old Dec 29, 2007, 3:54 PM   #24

Ev -0.7 ==> Now you can see the gold metal piece and the bottom white pipes have more edge definition to them.
Attached Images

Old Dec 29, 2007, 3:59 PM   #25

At Ev -1.3 the camerahighlight featurestopped blinking. Now the grey box is well exposed, the white pipes are not overblown and you can actually see that the gold metal piece much clearer. However, this comes at the cost of having the entire image now much much darker.
Attached Images

Old Dec 29, 2007, 4:02 PM   #26

Here's the full image at Ev -1.3. Now imagine if the sun was shining on those pipes! I would never be able to avoid highlight clipping. I'd have to lower the Ev to -4 and obviously everything else would be in total darkness.
Attached Images

Old Dec 29, 2007, 4:28 PM   #27
OCD

Quote:
Last night I spent a good hour reading the E510 manual and researching the internet trying to figure out how to set the ESPmetering separate from AF. I don't believe this is an option with the E510 (it was on the E500).

Page 46 of the (English UK) manual, under 'Metering'.

Select ESP in menu, then right arrow next to the ESP symbol, then up or down arrows to change from ESP+AF to just ESP. I wouldn't suggest you try something if I wasn't talking from experience and unless it was possible.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 7:16 PM   #28

Aha, if I use the left arrow key or the control panel to change the metering pattern, it will not give me the option to select ESP or ESP+AF. But, if Iaccess it viathe menu CAMERA2, then the right arrow appears when I select ESP. So, I changed it to ESP only. I'll give it a try tomorrow morning. Thanks for the hint.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:11 PM   #29

Tullio: try dialing back your saturation, it is set to high, which has a tendency to blow highlights.

Also, as your metering is set to center-weighted/average; andthe camera is doing exactly that.

When you have large amount of sky, with a darker subject, even Pros with much more expensive cameras, use a split neutral density filter in shooting such shots. It enables the camera to capture both the detail of the sky and the darker ground.Maybe itmight be worthwhile for you to invest in one for your 510.

Steven R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:53 PM   #30

Thanks for your feedback, Steven. When thing I noticed from comparing almost 100 shots of the same subject with various settings, was that the lower the saturation, the less DR I get. Contrast, yes. The lower the contrast, the higher DR (less clipping). I have a pool slide, which was originally sky blue. However, it's faded over the years and now, the middle section (where the sun shines on most of the time), it's a very pale blue, almost white. When I photographed using low saturation, the middle bit was totally white from Ev0 to Ev -.07. At Ev -1 the edges became noticeable. However, increasing the saturation, I could see the light blue color at Ev -0.3 with edge definition at Ev -0.7. Although the gain was not much (only about 0.3 Ev),there was actually a gain. I guess theincrease in saturation in this case made the colors pop up more, thusincreasing DR and consequently reducing highlight clipping.Now, when the subject is pure white (like the pump pipe pictures I posted previously, then increasing or decreasing saturationreally made no difference in terms ofclipping. Obviously the histogram curves varied but the right side of it was pretty much unchanged. Today's tests were also different in terms of metering (changed ESP+AF to ESP only) and NR (turned filter to LOW with sharpness set to -1/. Interestingly enough, the file sizes are bigger. Does it mean the images have more resolution???). I think the camerameters much more accuratelyin ESP mode than ESP+AF. The imagesare more well balanced and ifcontrast on the sceneis even, Ev 0 produces perfect exposure. I think I'm getting there. I love the colors that come out of the camera.