Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:12 PM   #31

Tullio: I find this to be a helpful article of tips for tweaking the E510. Hope you find it interesting.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/e500-sett.html
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:26 PM   #32

Thanks, Steven. This site has been my E510 Bible since day 1.Today I went for a walk at the Giant Redwood park and took over 150 pictures. The sun was shining through the big trees producing a beautiful effect. I just downloaded the pictures and...well...95% of them are garbage. The pictures are way too dark to begin with. Then, in heavily shaded areas, the image has this bluish cast all over (almost all images were taken at ISO 400). I guess the problem is with the AUTO WB.The primary reason for the dark images is because I was trying to avoid highlight clipping from the sun rays, even though 98% of some images were in the shade. It's bad...real bad. Here's an example. Notice the blue trees and wooden fence along the pathway.
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:27 PM   #33

How about the purple spots???
Attached Images

Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:31 PM   #34

This one is an aberration. Ev -0.3, everything is in total darkness because of a tine hole of sky up above. Now, the blue of the sky bled through the leaves at the top (it looks like PF but I don't believe it is. However, if it is, that's the worst I've seen any camera produce.
Attached Images

Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:34 PM   #35

Here's a cropped portion of the top of the image. How can anyone accept these results from a SLR???
Attached Images

Old Dec 31, 2007, 1:29 PM   #36

Extracted from the imaging-resorce review of the E510:

Saturation. The Olympus EVOLT E-510 oversaturates reds and blues a little, and some yellows. It also undersaturates greens, but results are still pleasing. We did find that shots with a lot of foliage in them had a bit of a blue cast, and saturation was subdued, though.

I would say A LOT of blue cast, not a bit. I took some photos in the early morningshade with WB set to the little house (outoor in shadow on clear day) and the color cast was too warm.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 2:23 PM   #37

Quote:
How can anyone accept these results from a SLR???
Noone can. If you stop up and think for a moment, you would realise that no DSLR of any make or price would be that bad; it will have to have been caused ye either a malfunctioning camera or by something you do wrong. The e-510 is by experienced users considered at least slightly above average in its price class by experienced users with regards to image quality, dynamic range etc.

Some at dpreview whose comments I respect go further and claim that noone has proved that the image quality (including dynamic range) is (significantly?) better in the e-3 than in the e-510 and that the noises around the e-3 has so far just been echoing Olympus marketing. I would hope that it has better image quality, as one otherwise would pay a lot of money for the physical advantages of the e-3: weatherproof body, turnable screen, LCD on top, one stop better IS, better build, wireless flash.

I have not even seen an e-3 yet, so I don't know - I am mentioning it so you can understand that the e-510 is a very good camera. What I do know is that my e-510 is an excellent camera (both with normal grade and high grade lenses) that beats my e-300 and e-500 in all respects. I have had no problems whatsoever with it in the five months I have had it.

Jorgen
http://www.photoblog.com/jorgen

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 12:55 PM   #38

jorgen wrote:
Quote:
I would hope that it has better image quality, as one otherwise would pay a lot of money for the physical advantages of the e-3: weatherproof body, turnable screen, LCD on top, one stop better IS, better build, wireless flash.
Hi, Jorgen

Your observations are good.

I don't have an E510 but would add that the controls and their layout on the E3 are much better than on my E500. The ability to change basic settings directly from the "Super Control Panel" is terrific. Unlike the E500, my right thumb comes to rest naturally on a place with no buttons on the E3 because it is taller, so I'm not accidentally bringing up the WB menu (like on the E500)when I'm moving around shooting. The two MyMode settings are genuinely useful for me. And of course the E3 shutter is built for way more cycles than the 4X0/5X0 cameras. (I keep wondering why Oly doesn't state the cycle capability of the lens diaphrams in their pro lenses versus their less-expensive lenses - one would assume that the price difference includes more durability there as well.)

On the other hand, the E3 Manual is poorly written. And although I like the size of the E3 I wish it was a bit less heavy.

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 7:40 PM   #39

have a look here
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=26227795

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 4:02 AM   #40

Ted, so you have bought one already? Congratulations! It certainly looks good on paper and I will take a good, long hard look at it when I next get to Valencia. However, the size and weight worries me as I always carry a camera over my shoulder; the e-510 is like molded for my hand.

I'll add your extra points to my list, though I can't say that the number of lens diaphragm / shutter cycles worry me with the relatively small number of photos I take before buying a new camera.

Jorgen

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote