Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 14, 2007, 12:33 PM   #1

I'm in the market for the E-510 and have been looking on Ebay. Can U tell me if those sellers that offer these bundles that have everything but the kitchen sink R legit and if so how can they offer such a large package @ such a good price. Any help would be appreciated!

Johnnie
devsam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2007, 12:46 PM   #2

read the item description very carefully

read feedback very carefully

gary

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 1:02 PM   #3

Everything in those packages is worthless junk except the camera and maybe the lenses.

That's how they can offer such a large package at such a good price.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 2:10 PM   #4

I figured that. I also question whether the lenses are the Zuiko. These sellers are powersellers with what looks to be legit stores.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLYMPUS-E510-Evo...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLYMPUS-E510-Evo...QQcmdZViewItem

Are a few:

Can U recommend any place?

What's Ur take on the E510 for someone starting out?

Thanx for responding.
devsam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 2:27 PM   #5

"I figured that. I also question whether the lenses are the Zuiko. These sellers are powersellers with what looks to be legit stores. "

The E-510 would make a great starter system for most any photographer new or season (season, better than saying old).

As for the deals you listed, I seen the E-510 with 2 lenses for $712.00 at major retailers and even buying direct from Olympus was a bit less than your links were asking. Also one of the links you listed said it came with 3 lenses but only listed 2 lenses, that didn't sound right to me.

Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 2:54 PM   #6

the 3rd lens is a wide angle add on that will probably be of poorest quality imaginable

its not really a lens but a srew on adapter that are cheap

as said and as i thought the kit is hyped up rubbish, the tripods wont probably hold the camera as they are designed for point and shoot not full size dslr, resulting in topple over.

one more thing to remember is they normaly charge to recieve it back if not happy and this applies if faulty too

much better to buy in a store where u can physicaly take it back

bit of a hard question u asked about if its good for someone starting out.........main thing to remember is it wont get you good shots if your not capable of taking them. some people think that if they buy a better camera they will suddenly become expert photographers.....images from dslr takes more post processing afterwards as point and shoot cameras tend to do that in the camera.......dslr gives u more control to get image as you want it......the extra work there isnt what lots of people want

i use e300 and the 2 lens kit and im very happy with mine
Old Dec 14, 2007, 3:05 PM   #7

if u had read feedback for one of them then you would have seen this

no manufactures warranty,

after sales phone calls trying to sell more,

accesories poor and second rate,

item not shipped for 14 days

they both have negative feedback saying the same

seen it all before im affraid to say..................steer clear...........dont risk your money
Old Dec 14, 2007, 5:51 PM   #8

Do yourself a favour and buy from a reputable online dealer, such as B&H Photo.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 4:21 PM   #9

Popular Photography in a recent edition said that grey market cameras & lenses are everywhere. Honest dealers will say they are, but others may not. If you don't mind, then no issue. Otherwise seek to learn.

Another article said memory cards, batteries, and other photo things are made by dishonest people who put a trusted-name brand that looks just like the real thing, but are inferior in performance, and probably also use-life. These were said to appear even at big chain stores.

Caveat emptor.
lendur2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 9:22 AM   #10

The non-Olympus/Zuiko accessories may sound good, but they are CHEAP!

The 0.45x wide angle converter is a cheapie...not to mention you have to screw it onto the 14-42, something that the lens is not designed for and you can damage the plastic gears and/or the motor in the lens.

The flash is just a basic manual flash (no TTL like FL36/50)...although it has the advantage of also being a slave flash (fire when it sees another flash fire).

The memory card certainly wouldn't be a good one (the best is the Sandisk Extreme III).

So, you have to look at these deals as just being the camera and two lenses, and then compare the price of them compared to a store like B&H.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote