Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 15, 2007, 6:23 PM   #1

For those interested in the Panaleica DMC L10, dpr has done their review of the cam.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcl10/

Overall its a very good review and kind of shows what to expect from the E3 (as there is a very good chance that they both share the same sensor). Had the OVF been larger - it would be a no brainer if you were looking for an E3 alternative but didn;t want the size/weight, weather proofing, IS and 11AF. From my own personal 5 mins with the camera - Panaleica have done a very good job with their 2nd cam. Now if the price was lower or the cam was available as a body only option (it is in Japan) I'm sure it would have got a Highly Recommended.

Here's IR's review of eth L10 - they gave it a DAve's pick:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...10/DMCL10A.HTM

"Panasonic's Lumix L10 was a welcome surprise. It was announced with none of the fanfare that accompanied the Lumix L1, but the Panasonic L10 is the one truly worthy of praise. It's built right, works well, looks competent, and has an excellent, more affordable optic. There are some limitations in the sensor or image processor that affect JPEG image performance, but RAW images are quite good.

As for the lens, well, you can't get better in a kit lens. We haven't seen a kit lens perform this well in the corners;.... "

Now just need to wait for Steve's review .

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2007, 10:33 PM   #2

I'll say the same thing about the L10 that I said about the L1. It won't sell because it's overpriced.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:29 AM   #3

in two month the price is €/$ 999
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 5:48 PM   #4

The L10's been recievign some really good reviews but the total price for the kit is its achillies heel. If they introduce a body only option at $600.00 it would sell extremely well.
Personally, I think tehy shoudl have bundled the 14-150 Leica D with the L10 as that would have been a much better and tempting option for new users . I agree with Don, we'll be seeign a drop in price in several months from now (I'm hoping for one on the E3 as well)

Regards the L1, Panaleica made it clear that they were aiming it at a specific market segment (the old LC1 users) and that they didn't expect to sell it in huge quantities. 50% of the price of the L1 kit was due to the 14-50 Leica D - and that is a superb bit of glass.

Cheers

HarjTT

Old Dec 16, 2007, 6:58 PM   #5

there was a thread over at dp explaining that in Japan at least its being bundled with an Olympus kit lens. The price difference then being just $50 between L10 and the E510.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...465&page=1
the consensus was that this would filter through globally
I think its better value than E510

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 1:02 AM   #6

another L10 review at cameralabs too

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa...Lumix_DMC-L10/

what these guys need is more lenses, pronto !

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 5:32 AM   #7

Hi Rob

Thanks for the link, I'm about to check it out. From all accounts the L10 is proving to be a very good camera esp for Panaleica's second attempt at an DSLR and This can only be a good thing for all of us 4/3 users. Now all they need to do is just price it a wee bit more realistically as an entry level cam or sell it as a body only option.

I think we'll see some pro level glass when they show the Panaleica Pro in the new year, maybe a couple of constant F2.8's or F2 zooms and another 1.4 prime. The 45mm F2 macro is due in 2008 as well. I'd always assumed that there was a gentlemans agreement between Oly/Panalieca not to overlap too much on the glass - hence all the Panaleica glass being mid-pro to entry level in terms of speed and weather proofing. If you wanted top pro glass you just went and got the Zuiko top pro for now.

Cheers

Harj