Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:55 AM   #21

And another:

Attached Images

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:10 AM   #22

A couple of other comments on the E3:

1. It is often said of the E1 that its images have a lot of "depth" of image information in the image files, in the sense that the E1 images can hold up to a substantial amount of post-processing. 'Dunno about the E1 but that's definitely true of the E3 - its images can take a lot more PP than my E500.

2. The E3's RAW image file sizes are only ~30% larger than the size of the corresponding SHQ jpeg. I don't know why that surprises me but it does - I was expecting a much larger difference in file size for the RAW image.

Ted
Old Jan 6, 2008, 7:28 PM   #23

Well I'm convinced....Really nice shots for anytime, never mind first time with the camera.

I was 'thinking' of looking for another lens for my 500 but I might just have to see how the stock kit Zuiko lens' do on the E3. I can't do both this year and they've done a pretty good job so far.

I mentioned it to my wife..hint, hint and my birthday is in may. We'll just have to see how the housing market goes this year and how many I can sell.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:53 PM   #24

hey Scouse
Im using my E3 for work now, and this years a major upgrade year for me. My FL50r and radio shutter release trigger are in transit, and I will be getting a 7-14/4 or the 8-? thing if its heard of at PMA shortly.

For interiors on the job, colours are more dominated by how well you use flash and PP than the differences between cameras (E300/E3), but outside exposures are another planet. E3 is very different and really very very good for outside work. This means I can let go of one of my P&S bodies that I'd been using for trickyer situations outdoors, probably the C707WZ.

The FL50r will enable me to use 2 flash at once at F5.6 or better in larger areas and more complex ceiling geometry. This is probably the ultimate setup for real estate photography because of its inherently deeper DoF.

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:27 PM   #25

Riley, Thanks for jumping in here, I sorta thought you would.... Yes, I'll be using it for work definately and probably the next lens will be the 11mm? we'd talked about before.

Just got to tell the wife, my real estate partner, that 'we' need it.

I'm sure you're amazed as I am aboutthe type of crappy photgraphs agents put out there as an insult to their business and their client. You and I know that it "Does make a difference." I've been pleasantly surprised of how many clients ask for a CD of photos of their homes as momentoes.

We've started off the year well, just hope it's an indicator...?!

Hope you share some more of your pics.

Ken

Quick shot of my place couple of weeks ago......!!!

Attached Images

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 5:18 AM   #26

Scouse wrote:
Quote:
Well I'm convinced....Really nice shots for anytime, never mind first time with the camera.
Thanks, but I like Harj's choice of subjects better...

Scouse wrote:
Quote:
We'll just have to see how the housing market goes this year and how many I can sell.
Jeeez - I hope the housing market in Washington is better than it is in the rest of the U.S.!

Ted

Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:44 AM   #27

Rriley wrote:
Quote:
My FL50r and radio shutter release trigger are in transit,
Hi, Riley

When you get that working I'd love to see some photos. The kitchen interior you posted is amazing. You got enough specular reflections to give the photo pop without glare, and you balanced the interior exposure perfectly with the outside window. I know how difficult that is - you really have it down.

Ted

Old Jan 7, 2008, 9:24 AM   #28

I desperately require the shutter release, more and more i require my camera on a pole where i can get an easy 15ft high. I thought i could use the timer and liveview to compose, but when the timer starts it pushes the mirror back down and no more liveview! In contrast to Scouse'e view, its very dry out here now, although this is a farmhouse. PP is still in catchup mode for outdoors.

the additional flash will eliminate the shadows from light fixtures, and increase the scope of the system and hence the ultimate F stop. I use auto-flash at the moment because TTL wont give me the power i need. So in Manual mode, set the aperture for the DoF required where i average F4-F5.6, then use shutter to balance outdoor light. Its a big ask to get from a close focus of 3ft to the distant horizon on just F4.5

Simply use LV or test a shot, shutter range is from about 1/20th sec (nice mix of interior light and daylight source, to the maximum sync in strong outdoor sun conditions met here in summer, on E3 a healthy 1/250th. Should you run out of range up the iso a stop. This is iso100 with F4.5 at 1/200th looking into the upsun exterior. Its really very easy when you get it setup in manual and use flash on Auto, and you can pump a few stops more out of flash anyway via the control knob.

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:32 PM   #29

Scouse

That looks soo pretty - I'm jealous! I love those big detached homes like that in the Pacific NW! Just reminded me if you can - try and get to the Japanese Garden in Portland - if its snowing there as well, It'll look picture perfect!

Guys, regards the E3's size and weight - how do you find it now after a month or so of shooting ?

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 1:01 PM   #30

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Scouse

That looks soo pretty - I'm jealous! I love those big detached homes like that in the Pacific NW! Just reminded me if you can - try and get to the Japanese Garden in Portland - if its snowing there as well, It'll look picture perfect!

Guys, regards the E3's size and weight - how do you find it now after a month or so of shooting ?
Scouse,
I second Harj's comment - if you've never been to the Japanese Garden in Portland I highly recommend it. It's one of the nicest places I've been to. Tough to do photography there, though - a lot of other folks know about the place...

Harj,
I like the E3's size and the fact that my right hand fits it well without my thumb inadvertently pressing on a control button (which happens with the E500 occasionally). I'd prefer a lower weight since I tend to use fast (e.g. heavier) lenses. But I'd buy it again in a minute if something happened to theE3 I have.

Also, now with a bit of experiece with the E3 I can tell you that the menu/button systems are really easy to use. The "Super Control Panel" that you can call up on the rear view screen, is interactive and it allows you to control almost all of the camera functions you would likely want to change during a shoot, on-the-fly without ever going into the actual menu system. It's well done.

Ted