Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 23, 2007, 11:28 AM   #1

My question concerns using the FL-36R with an E-510 DSLR. I'm having no luck setting the camera to utilize the remote feature of this flash. The flash's manual says to refer to the camera's manual and the camera's manual says to refer to the flash's manual! :roll:

The flash manual has an E-3 example, however the E-510's menus and info display are different. Does anyone know how to set the camera to utilize the remote flash???
erutcip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2007, 12:07 PM   #2

Hhmm.. not sure about this but I don;t think the E510 has the wireless flash capability to help fire the FL36R altough i could be wrong. I had assumed that the E3's wireless flash capability was the first Oly camera to allow this to work. What you might want to do is get a cheap wireless flash trigger from ebay - I'm using them with my E1 and FL50/SB26 and Sunpak 383 as I know they work.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2007, 11:33 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, Harj. I assumed the 510 had remote flash capability because Oly's website lists both the 50R and 36R as accessories for it. I guess I'll give tech support a call and see what they say.

Thanks again.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 12:56 PM   #4

Well, I called Olympus. The remote flashes (36R & 50R) will work with an E-510 but only in the slave mode (auto or manual slave), not the remote mode. Unfortunately, in the slave mode the AF illuminatorwill trigger the flash. If this happens, one must wait for the flash to recharge before taking the picture necessitating holding the shutter release during the flash's recharge cycle so as not to loose the focus. Of course one can turn off the illuminator, however that could cause auto focus problems in low light situations. Fortunately the 510's lenses can be manually focused.

Lots of plusses and minuses here but when taken together this is not an optimal situation. So I had the tech rep put in a consumer complaint concerning this issue. He mentioned Olympus Japan controls the software updates. Possibly in the future we'll be able to use these flashes in the remote mode with a 510.