Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:28 PM   #1

Can anyone tell the ideal setting for file sizes on the E510 or what are the advantages or disadvantages of various settings .a relative who has one of these has asked me and as I am new to Digital I dont know.At the moment he has his camera set at SQ 2580-1920 1/8. I have this camera on my short list to buy soI am very interested.

deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2007, 1:04 PM   #2

Set it on the highest setting SHQ giving an image of 3648 x 2736 pixels. You can always lower the number of pixels, while you of course can't add to them.

When you have used the camera for a while and are happy with your results, you can experiment with RAW to see if this improves your results. Search Google for "jpg raw" and you will have plenty of reading material. Personally I don't see much difference, but then again I go for rather contrasty shots; Olympus cameras have an excellent JPG conversion engine. RAW takes up lots of space and takes longer to load.

Jorgen
http://www.photoblog.com/jorgen

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 6:06 PM   #3

deadshot wrote:
Quote:
Can anyone tell the ideal setting for file sizes on the E510 or what are the advantages or disadvantages of various settings .a relative who has one of these has asked me and as I am new to Digital I dont know.At the moment he has his camera set at SQ 2580-1920 1/8. I have this camera on my short list to buy soI am very interested.

IMO, the ideal file size depends on what you're going to do with the final photo. If the answer is email them around, a smaller file size would be better, although as jorgen said, you can always downsize them later. If the answer is blow them up and print them, the bigger the better. One must also consider the size of the memory card... you don't want to run out of room before you're finished shooting.

I've got a 4GB CF card along with a 2GB xD card loaded. With that combo I can take 245 pics at RAW + SHQ (162 & 83 pics respectively) with combined file sizes of 16MB. At RAW only I can get 356 pics. For me, not knowing what I'll be doing with the pics, I'm leaning (and learning) more towards RAW.Also with that number, I still have plenty of shots for a day's shooting. Of course, one can also delete the poor shots right on the camera.

Hope that helps. BTW, the 510 is a great camera. Other good one's in that price range also. Read lots of reviews to see if the 510 is the right camera for you.

Dennis
erutcip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 6:17 PM   #4
OCD

Quote:
Can anyone tell the ideal setting for file sizes on the E510

Just go for the highest quality image, and hence largestfile size thatthe camera allows. Why wouldn't you?

Some people are blown away by the number of images they can get on a Compact Flash card when theimage quality is reduced, and they like to show friends 'look at this, 1050 images in one camera....' or something like that. But memory is relatively cheap, both for CF cards and hard drive, and the photographs you take today will be even easier to print and store tomorrow, so just make the file sizeBIG. And if you haven't enough space on the card, buy another card. On the E510 the highest JPEG setting is SHQ which will give superb pictures at full quality. The only way to get better quality isset the camera forRAW files, which are not as scary as some people think, but it is an extra stage in downloading the files for normal viewing. Either way, if you you are buyingANY camera based on the quality of the image they make then the highest quality and therefore largest file size is what you should be setting it at. Remember, rubbish in - rubbish out, and it doesn't matter what make or model, thesame adageapplies.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 9:37 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies,very useful.

Happy New Year to you all .
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:39 AM   #6
Administrator

OCD wrote:
Quote:
Some people are blown away by the number of images they can get on a Compact Flash card when the image quality is reduced, and they like to show friends 'look at this, 1050 images in one camera....' or something like that.
I recently bought a Transcend 133x 16GB Compactflash card. :-)

I can store lots of higher quality images on it (I normally shoot raw + jpeg with my cameras).

It was only $119.95 at newegg.com when I bought it, and they've had a couple of price drops since then. The price for one is now down to around $100, working out to around $6.25 per Gigabyte.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208337

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 6:38 AM   #7

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I recently bought a Transcend 133x 16GB Compactflash card. :-)
You're bad.

<grin>

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote