Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:00 AM   #1
Administrator

See Steve's hands on review here:

Olympus E-3

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:17 AM   #2

Thanks, Jim. It's a great camera!

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:15 PM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
See Steve's hands on review
Thanks, Jim

It's very odd that the ISO 1000 image would have such a large WB shift compared to the others.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 8:34 PM   #4

nice to have that red brick building for a comparison shot

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 1:18 PM   #5

It's all looking very good, isn't it?

My only concern is lens manufacturers still think that Canon and Nikon is their only market. I was looking in the Outdoor Photog mag at a couple of usful lens' "BUT" onlyforC orN. Probably the 4/3 thingy, it is frustrating though.

As usual some reviewers are using the word 'big', although it's comparable to the competition. I sometimes wonder about the size of their hands. I'm a fairly large guy and like to feel the camera when I use it. If I can't carry and use a camera of under 2 pounds, then I'm really in trouble.

Another useful review complete with test pics here.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E3/E3A.HTM

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 6:54 AM   #6

Here's a new review of the E3, from the latest issue of Popular Photography magazine:

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/4924...ympus-e-3.html

They like it a lot but note that they feel the new Nikon D300 (also reviewed in the latest issue) hasbetter high-ISO noise reduction. Of course, with Nikons you have to buy IS in each lens.

They also reviewed the new Oly ZD 12-60mm lens but that review does not appear to be posted on their web site yet. The lens test concluded that"This is among the sharpest and least distorting wide-angle zooms in recent memory." Andit has sharpness and contrast "even nudging ahead of the Leica 14-50mm." That's quite a compliment because when they reviewed the Leica last year they said it was the among best wide-angle zooms they had tested. (And it's one of the best lenses I've ever used, in some 4 decades of photography.)

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 5:14 AM   #7

thanks Jim, nice review. i lived in savannah till 5 years ago, when i escaped to jesup. i still have to go up there occasionally, which always make me grateful for where i live now. hey, does best buy stock e3's?
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:53 AM   #8

As member of Olympus Global Pro system, I recently evaluated an E3 sent from Pennsylvania and found the new model exceptional in many ways.

Subsequently, I purchased one through a USA online retailer and am quite surprised the entire system is placarded, "MADE IN CHINA".

The unit evaluated from Pennsylvania was Made in Japan and apparently all retail-resale Olympus dealers are stocked with those Made in China.

All the E-1's I purchased were Made in Japan andnow I have some concerns.

First,how soon will these Made in China models wind up on Wal-Mart shelves in 3 months for 1/2 of what they're selling for now?? There is already a online retailer selling new E-3'sat $950 so the one delivered yesterday for$1725 is being repacked for return, now:!:

Finally, are any users of the E3 aware of substantial build quality/performance quality issues, etc., from the Chinese made units?

Pixeditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:17 AM   #9

At this point, ans SFAIK, all retail E-3s (including those sold here in Japan) are made in one of Olympus' China plants. Obviously they're overseen by Japanese managers and their QC seems to be very good. They also have plants in VietNam and Thailand. Can't escape the cost-cutting necessities of global capitalism.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 7:58 AM   #10

The following is an excerpt from email recieved yesterday.

Dear Olympus User,

All E-3 camera bodies available at this time are manufacturer at the Olympus facility in China. This facility is under the supervision and follows all quality assurance controls set in place by the Olympus Corporation in Japan.

Regards,

E-System Digital SLR Technical Support
Olympus Imaging America Inc.

Pixeditor is offline   Reply With Quote