Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 1, 2008, 10:43 PM   #1

Happy new year to you Oly Togs.

I took my camera out for a new years day drive. Well, yeh my wife came along too.

We went up the Skagit River, northern Washinton state up above the snowline. At this time every year there's a big "Gathering Of Eagles" The bald type. A friend went up yesterday and counted 85 of theof themon a nice sunny day

A few other people had the same idea today and even though it was cold, greyand windy, people outnumbered the Eagles.!The Mature, white headed guys where too far away for me and my 40-150 but this imature young fellow perched in range. (With a bit of help cropping in on the computer.) It takes 3-5 years for them to get their white head and tail feathers.
Attached Images

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2008, 2:25 PM   #2

Hi Scouse,

Really wish I was up at the Pacific NW - your living in an amazingly wonderful part of the world. I'm suprised you haven't splashed out on the 50-200 to get that wee xtra reach or the teleconvertor esp if you;ve got such wonderful birds so close at hand. Thats a nice capture and I'm suprised he or she didnt shoot off. I would likw to see more wild bird shots - but I know thats a seriously hard kind of tog to do.

You know what its like in the UK - have to just make do with the pigeons ...

Cheers

HarjTT

:O:?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 7:51 PM   #3

Thanks HarjTT. It's certainly not Liverpool anymore. Pigeons are just squab to these guys.

I lost a lot when I brought it in closer on the computer. Nasty looking finger nails and beak though. It was breezy there as evident by the feathers blowing. Just nice to get out and use the camera again.

I am looking for a longer lens for bird and wildlife shots. Thinking about something in the 1000+mm range that's fully compatible with the Oly 4/3 system and has built in stabilization.

Any recomendations.???
Old Jan 5, 2008, 2:17 PM   #4

Scouse wrote:
Quote:
I am looking for a longer lens for bird and wildlife shots. Thinking about something in the 1000+mm range that's fully compatible with the Oly 4/3 system and has built in stabilization.

Any recomendations.???

Hi Scouse,

I've just started looking at the Zuiko Standard70-300mm f4.0-5.6ED lens - economically priced at $400 USD, although no built in IS. Not quite as long as you'd like, however with the EC-20 tele converter (another $490)it would get to 600mm (1200mm equivalent).I found thesepics taken with it attached to an E-510 - looks very good to my amateur eye:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=25698974

BTW, that's a great pic of the eagle.

Dennis

erutcip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 6:37 PM   #5

Thanks Dennis,

Not a bad idea but for almost $900 I think I'll look for other options. Remember that the tele converter is a 1.4x not 2x. I have a older Vivitar 600mm mirror lens for my OM systems (OM1 & OM2) when I was shooting film plus a few more odd lens'.

That 600 isa fun len's to play with along with the 4/3 adapter but I have to haul my tripod around for it. This one below gives me about 1200mm.

Maybe itwas just a wish for something like this only they don't do a 4/3 one yet...:-) Tamron AF 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD VC (Vibration Compensation) Aspherical (IF) Macro Auto Focus Zoom Lens. $575.00

Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2008, 6:49 PM   #6

I took this as a test shot in the house one evening after I got the 4/3 adapter.

600mm (1200mm) I was 35 feet away, (min focal length) justthe hall light (60wt) for lighting 2 seconds at the fixed f8. ISO 100.

I'm waiting for the weather to get better so I can "Go out and play!"

Attached Images