Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 1, 2003, 4:12 PM   #11

45% luck* 45% shooter** 10%gear***

*being there at the right time and pointed the right way

**seeing the opportunity to shot and continue shooting Persistance of Vision- it has many meanings.

***having the gear to make the killer image easier to get
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2003, 2:05 AM   #12

I'll have to write that one down...just incase there is a test latter! :lol:
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2003, 8:11 AM   #13
NHL

Quote:
There are more to CCD's and CMOS chips than just pixels and overall sensor size!
I'm quite aware of FF vs interline since we've discussed this subject over here (in my 1st link). In fact my 3 years old D7 was also a full frame Sony's CCD variant because it required an external mechanical shutter to be closed while the data are being transferred (ie Interline CCD require no external shutter)... IMO what you are referring to is the fill-factor in CMOS sensors where local area of each pixel is crowded away by individual processing element hence not fully utilized as light collector. There's no interline in CMOS since no charge are transfered or to shield away from, nonetheless they are also covered with overlying microlenses to concentrate the light on the active area of the pixels.

This issue has always been CCD vs. CMOS: The comparison is like apples vs. oranges: they can both be good for you and still is today... One technology (CCD) collects more light but lose the charges or contamined them with noise as each charge is serially transfered to the various chips located further downstream inside the camera guts, vs another technology (ie CMOS in 10D/Digital Rebel) having a fill-factor but processes the data locally to the sensor. So yes there are more to CCD's and CMOS chips than just pixels size and I'm sure the cameras designers with the various manufacturers arre fullly aware of theses trade-off... The truth is in the results and one can't judge a camera by the size of its pixel! :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2003, 8:15 AM   #14

tkmckay- reememberr spllng cownts! later man
Old Nov 2, 2003, 2:04 PM   #15

Thanks NHL for the break down on the difference....thats some excellent information and helps clear some things up!

If only it was so simple to pick a product that clearly is superior to others. Thats one thing I have learned when it comes to digital cameras is there is alot of grey area between the advantages and disadvantages of various models.

For me I like the idea behind the E-1 for my own needs. The main reason being is I do alot of hiking and the ability to shoot in the rain/snow/mist or where ever and not have to worry about the camera is nice....and it seems to be the lowest priced fully sealed dslr system out at the moment. I also like that 2 lenses gets me from 28-400mm's. I should take a picture of my current camera backpack.... its heavy enough as is so I would love to lighten it with less lenses. The last thing I want is to feel like a sherpa whenever I go out hiking :P ....not that there is anything wrong with Sherpa's incase there are any in the forums. :lol:

Who knows what will come out earily next year though when I see myself potentially in the market for a dslr camera.

:lol: sjms, I guess that is my problem with usually working night shifts and trying to post something that will make some sort of sence after being @ school & work for 14-16hours in total. :P
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2003, 2:15 AM   #16

Quote:
If you take the file size into account the E-1 has quite a large buffer size. 5Mpixel jpegs would come in at about 2.5mb each
My E-20 JPEGs (SHQ) range from 3.5 to 3.7 Mbytes.
I have had my E-20 for about a year and a half. For the most part, I think it's a great camera. The only things that frustrate me are the slow boot time and slow save time, but I have adjusted to it, and rarely (I won't say never) miss a photo opportunity because of the camera...more often because of the operator!
I would also miss the SM and CF card slots. I have six 128MB SM's which I dump to a 1GB IBM MD...gives me a total capacity of almost 500 pix. I don't want to have to take a laptop or wallet everywhere, and it's really handy to be able to transfer files right in the cam.
I was thinking about a D100, then I decided the 10D was better...and now I'm looking at the Rebel, but really it's just new toy lust. The Oly does everything I need.
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 8:17 PM   #17

sjms

You are absolutly correct the camera is only an instrument, and your galery proves it, fantastic scenes. you must have felt so great when you took th rainbow over the tabernacle. My favorite the one with the tractor.

I'm going to buy an SLR, only waiting for the pma show and see what it brings. But the Oly E-1 is a serious contender for my $.
sergiolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 9:39 AM   #18

It's hard to compare cameras just by looking at specs. I tried and ended up with the Olympus 5050. Looked like a good camera but the picture quality is terrible. Lots of noise and poor definition. My old Fuji was much better as is my wife's Sony and my daughters Nikon. I use my wife's Sony most of the time now and in fact all the Sony owners I know really like them.

I'd stay away from Olympus and stick with something that you have actually seen pictures from.

cheers
Elanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 9:55 AM   #19

i must whole heartedly disagree with your eval of the 5050z. shooting within the limits of the camera produces an outstanding image. understanding the chain that hold you gear together and finding the actual weak link is most of the issue. we all really know where the weakest link truely is usually

i will only evaluate my images on my equipment that is my monitor which is very hi rez and calibrated for color and luminance, gamma. if your darkroom is not at the level of the rest of your equipment you have lost part of your quality and information.

5050z underwater in its housing.

read this also http://65.110.81.28/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6468-7844

http://www.pbase.com/crusader/image/20061499/original for exif and a better image

Attached Images

Old Jul 2, 2005, 11:11 PM   #20

Elanman wrote:
Quote:
It's hard to compare cameras just by looking at specs. I tried and ended up with the Olympus 5050. Looked like a good camera but the picture quality is terrible. Lots of noise and poor definition. My old Fuji was much better as is my wife's Sony and my daughters Nikon. I use my wife's Sony most of the time now and in fact all the Sony owners I know really like them.

I'd stay away from Olympus and stick with something that you have actually seen pictures from.

cheers
Yes, blame it all on the hardware. I guess Magnum photographer Alex Majoli just doesn't know what he's doing with the 5050

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote