Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 6, 2008, 7:54 AM   #1

Hello all,

I have a new E-510 and findmanual focus a problem - mainly the mat focusing screen - or possibly my old tired eyes. I had an OM-1 at one time andOly made several different split screens for that. I had a diagonal split screen that made sharp focusing a snap!I see now that there are other focusing screens for Oly's, and the 510 in particular. No diagonals but, still, split images.

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Ol...t_olympus.html

Has anyone tried these with their dSLR? If so, how do you like it? The specs say, with this particular product, you lose the auto-focus brackets and red auto-focus dot although the viewfinder display still indicates auto focus - is the beep still there also? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Dennis
erutcip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:49 AM   #2

I just baught one for my Nikon D50 off of ebay. I have several manual focus lenses, and focusing is not so easy. It's not from that sight I don't know who made it. In fact it was only $18 plus shipping. A real risk I know but I cant afford to plop down $100 right now. When it arrives I'll let you know how it works. I will have to do some testing to see if and how much it effects the metering system.

tj
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 7:45 PM   #3

Hi Dennis,

I was having trouble with that 600mm lens with focusing, you realy HAVE to be spot on or it's just another fuzzy pic. Plus I have a few other lenses for the old OM1&2 that aren't meant for auto focus.

So I bought the Katzeye and fitted it myself. (Fiddley little bugger with my big hands!!!) Once i figured what they were trying to tell me on their 'how to web site' it went well.

It really helps and I do like it. I can't remember if I lose the brackets but the red spot and the beep is still there. The one main problem to deal with is using the camerawith the auto lensesin low light. The lens hunts around looking for a focussing spot. One way to deal with it is to find an edge it can work on. So far it's been a minor detail while the split focus has been a good 'A' plus.

Remember this is just one mans opinion.......

Ken

erutcip wrote:
Quote:
Hello all,

I have a new E-510 and findmanual focus a problem - mainly the mat focusing screen - or possibly my old tired eyes. I had an OM-1 at one time andOly made several different split screens for that. I had a diagonal split screen that made sharp focusing a snap!I see now that there are other focusing screens for Oly's, and the 510 in particular. No diagonals but, still, split images.

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Ol...t_olympus.html

Has anyone tried these with their dSLR? If so, how do you like it? The specs say, with this particular product, you lose the auto-focus brackets and red auto-focus dot although the viewfinder display still indicates auto focus - is the beep still there also? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Dennis
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 1:04 AM   #4

Quote:
So I bought the Katzeye and fitted it myself. (Fiddley little bugger with my big hands!!!) Once i figured what they were trying to tell me on their 'how to web site' it went well.
Anyone who owns either an E-300 or E-330 shouldn't consider fitting it themselves...it's MUCH harder.

Quote:
The one main problem to deal with is using the camera with the auto lenses in low light. The lens hunts around looking for a focussing spot.

The focus screen shouldn't affect focus...the focus sensor is at the bottom of the mirror box which is between the lens and the focus screen, as you can see in the diagram by the red line, the green line is the path through the focus screen:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...Elightpath.jpg

While focusing isn't affected, exposure can be as it's between the focus screen and the viewfinder (although I've yet to find out where it is exactly located...I wonder if it is ABOVE the viewfinder as you can see there's a lens and a sensor above the viewfinder.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 2:30 AM   #5

It focuses fine once it gets a lock. Just that sometimes it's a little slow finding a spot to lock on to in low light. Sometimes I take photos of empty rooms and at times it's slow getting a lock for it then on bare walls.

Not as bad as a friends Nikon, he's taken to taping a laser pointer to the bottom of his camera for the camera to lock on to.

Haven't noticed any problems with exposure at all.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 2:19 PM   #6

Hi tj, Ken and Mike,

Thanks for your posts.

Ken, I'm assuming you installed the Katzeye in your 500? Did you get the OptiBright treatment - if so, do you think it's worth the $55?

Looks like the 500 and 510 screens have themounting lug in the same position and probably have the same mounting config. Thanks for telling me about your experience.Looking at the 510's screen it appears to be asimilar mounting to my old OM-1, so I figure I can get it in there.

Anyway, I was leaning towards getting one because I'd rather control the focus in 80% of my shots, this screen will make that a lot easierand your comments have pushed me over the edge.

Dennis
erutcip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 7:16 PM   #7

I didn't get the optibrightand I have no way of comparing the difference so I'll remain happy in my ignorance.

I used to change screens in the old OM cams and once you see how this one works you won't have a problem. Sounds like you're a hands on guy.

Would I do it again? A definate yes and I use auto for about 65% of my stuff.

Good luck Dennis.