Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 11, 2008, 4:32 PM   #1

Hi All,

I have joined this forum today, but I have been following this for quite a while. Like lots of other member (especially HarjTT) I am too excited about quality of 35-100f/2 but holded by the bank robbing 2200$.

I am trying to compare 50-200 with 35-100 in quality. Is it worth spending fortune over this giant...? Is Olympus planning to come up with its SWD version ? Couple of months back this beauty was selling around 1800 $ in US, Now nothing below 2200$, any particular reasons behind it?

Abhishek

abhigupta83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2008, 4:38 PM   #2

Hi All,

Couple of my work to start with this new learning platform from gurus....
Attached Images

Old Jan 11, 2008, 4:42 PM   #3

Another one
Attached Images

Old Jan 11, 2008, 4:42 PM   #4

last one
Attached Images

Old Jan 11, 2008, 5:16 PM   #5

Yes I know decent lenses are what make the quality but those are still a bit rich for my blood right now.

I like your pics abhi, first one has a nice serene quality about it. The second, nice shot butcould usea bit of crop work of the muddy front and left edge.

The last could have benifited from having been shot either earlier or later in the day, the lighting isn't quite there. The water line right across the center of the pic is a little distracting. If you'd havehighered the camera a tad to get rid of the floating debris it looks like you might have been able to have brought in some of the overhead leaves for an attactive frame.

You have a good eye for the shot though and like I said, a nice serene nature to them. Keep on shooting, hope you didn't mind the comments.

What camera?.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 8:08 PM   #6

Thanks for your precise comments... I am still in a learning phase... These comments really help in improvising your skills. I am using Olympus E 500 with 14-45 kit lens and thinking abt a good quality lens..
Old Jan 12, 2008, 1:46 AM   #7

Hi Abhi

Nice series of shot and I think Scouse is pretty spot on with his CC - no 1 is very nice and my fav out of the three.

Regards the lenses, its a pretty tough decision and one that I know a lot of shooters will be thinking about (like myself and Ted who ended up with the F2 for example). The cost of the 35-100 is unsettling and when you think the Uk price = $3000 it hurts even more but, and from personal experience it is a wonderful lens and the quality of the pics prove it and I have no regrets in buying it over say the current 50-200 and even the SWD version. I think for those in the US/Canada its definetly a harder call to make with the price difference between the lenses being anything between $800 to 1000, which wasn;t the case in the UK - in Nov the difference between the F2 and the new 50-200SWD was just £200-300 and that along with the faster aperture, etc was enouigh for me to get the F2. I also had a wedding that I had been asked to shoot and the new SWD was not and is still not available, and the F2 was the only way to go. I did poist a thread on my first thoughts on the beastie and that should help if your thinking about it but for now I would also carry on with the kit lens and see how far you can push the E500/14-45.

Will there be an SWD 35-100F2 ? I think there will and most probably annouced either this PMA or for Photokina 2008. Will I be angry if they intro an SWD version, not really unless the new SWD is smaller,lighter and cheaper than the current version and it'd have to be all three!

Current pricing of the 35-100F2 I'm not sure why the price has gone back up to 2000.00, esp if there is an SWD version coming along.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 6:21 AM   #8

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Will there be an SWD 35-100F2 ? I think there will and most probably annouced either this PMA or for Photokina 2008. Will I be angry if they intro an SWD version, not really unless the new SWD is smaller,lighter and cheaper than the current version and it'd have to be all three!
Smaller and lighter would be nice but I was thinking it would be expensive to make the switch. However, there is a very well repected web sitewith classified ads (and seller/buyer ratings) for astronomy equipment since amateur astronomers regularly trade upwards for better equipment (especially eyepieces which are the telescope equivalent of camera lenses in terrestrial photography). I noticed that they now allow classifieds for camera lenses:
http://www.astromart.com/classifieds...category_id=51

So unfortunately it may be much easier tosell camera lenses and trade up, especially for folks like me who are just not interested in, and really don't have the time for EBay auctions. I say unfortunately because the new OlyZD 12-60mm looks like a somewhat better working lens than my Leica 14-50mm even though it's a slower lens, just because ofits longer focal range...

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 2:18 PM   #9

abhigupta83 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your precise comments... I am still in a learning phase... These comments really help in improvising your skills. I am using Olympus E 500 with 14-45 kit lens and thinking abt a good quality lens..
Abhi, hope you don't mind more advice!!? While you're waiting for the perfect lens, get out and shoot as much as you can with that 14-45. It's the same combination I use 'and love' Get to know your camera, the limit of your lens and work with them. You photos don't show any lens problems.

I got the 40-150 lens with the kit as well but one really needs to use the tripod when over a certain focul length or the photos start to seem 'soft' and more likely caused by camera shake thana lens problem.

I'm looking for a stabilized lens in that higher range or, if the money man provides, getting my hands on the E3, which like the E510has the stabilizer in the camera.

For lens info, I definitely bow to tkurkowski& HarjTT.

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 6:43 PM   #10

Hey Scouse

Mate I know squat about lenses, theres much more experienced and knowledgeable folk on the forum than me but it was nice of you to consider me though.

Low bow

Harj

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote