Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:34 AM   #1

Hi!

I've graduated from the Panasonic FZ50 to the Olympus E3. I'm still in the "tingly excitement" stage, and am treating it like it's made of egg shells.:-) I can tell I'm going to have enormous fun with this camera.

Anyway, usually the first thing I do with a digicam is put some PDA protector film over the LCD to stop it getting scratched. But with an investment of this magnitude, I think I should stop and ask if 1) it's actually necessary, and 2) if it can damage the camera.

Any thoughts? Do any of you worry about this sort of thing?

PS Has anyone got the 50-200mm SWD? I'm not sure they've reached this country yet.

anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2008, 6:21 AM   #2

Hi !

I'm suprised that Oly didn;t ship an LCD protector with the E3 as standard - they did for the E1. I would get some form of LCD protector for the LCD - I'd hate to see it get scratched or damaged.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:01 AM   #3

my e 300 is hyper crystal like watch glass, and is very very hard to mark, mine gets used and abused cos i shoot landscapes and screen is prefect

i did put a lcd protector on but wasnt happy with it

what is much better is a pop up shade as u have total protection when its closed and can see screen better in sunshine

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:04 PM   #4

Hi!

I've had an Oly E20, E-500, and now an E3. The LCD screens on the two older cams are fine so I'm not sure there's a need for a protector on the E3 screen.

However, the E3 LCD is large enough that I notice my nose makes a grease spot on it after a session - dunno if that's a problem or not <grin>.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 3:56 PM   #5
OCD

I don't bother with anything like that. Its not like it affects the photograph and they are pretty tough as they come.Protectors do degrade the image that is presented on screen, even if it is a low quality JPEG, so theyhave a downside as well.Perhaps in a crowd I may turn the screen around to protect from rubbing on buttons and zips etc, but information is the important thing, and I'd rather see it loud and clear. The inherent grease spot is a great idea though, I 'm sure it stops people picking up the camera for a quick look......
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:22 AM   #6

Just to be a bit on the contrary...

I've used an InvisibleSHIELD LCD protector on my E-500 for nearly two years. My E-500 has been "all over the place" with me, including many bike rides both on- and off-trail with no issues to date. I did try a PDA LCD protector but did not like how the sceen was displayed. I'm very pleased with the way the LCD displays with the InvisibleSHIELD LCD protection on it. I've subsequently purchased an E-510 and put an InvisibleSHIELD LCD protector on it also.

Here's a link to a "review" of the InvisibleSHIELD LCD protector I wrote a while back over on FourThirdsPhoto -

http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/s...ead.php?t=1879

InvisibleSHIELD does make an LCD protector for the E-3 (by the way, great camera!!!)-

http://www.shieldzone.com/item_description/OLYE3S.html

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Paul in northern Virginia, USA
Olympus E -510, -500, C -730
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stoney_g/sets/
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:28 AM   #7

Thanks, Paul

I ordered one for my E3.And one for my wife's Nokia cell phone - that flip phone is designed such that the top half fits into the bottom half (instead of just closing atop the bottom half) so a normal phone case doesn't work too well on it - maybe the InvisibleShield will protect it.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 1:15 PM   #8

Hi Paul

Thanks for that wee tid-bit. I don;t need one for my E1 - as it came with Oly's own LCD protector but for an E3 or any other cam I'll get that or something similar. My E1's LCd guard has quiet a few scraches on it after 18months of usage and I'd really hate to have an E3's LCD end up like that.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 3:28 AM   #9

Thank you all for your suggestions.

For the moment, I'm just sticking my greasy nose against the LCD and folding it safely away when I put it in my bag.

But I know that won't be enough for me :-) so I'll see if I can get an InvisibleSHIELD or maybe one of Boxwave's ClearTouch Crystal screen protectors.

http://www.boxwave.com/products/clea...stal/index.htm

My attempt to make one on the cheap from two pieces of clear sticky tape (one piece slightly smaller than the other, stuck face to face, leaving a narrow sticky edge and a big clear panel) failed miserably before I got anywhere near my E3, so no more MacGyver for me!
Old Mar 30, 2008, 6:57 PM   #10

I actually bought a screen protector very soon after my previous post here.

A colleague brought his Canon 40D to work one day so we could do an informal shoot-off against my E3 (sadly events conspired against us and we didn't end up doing more than looking at each other's cameras for a few minutes) and one of the first things I saw was how scratched his LCD screen was. He said he didn't care how scratched it was, it still worked. I can't say I'm that relaxed about it. :O

His 40D was barely two months old at that point, so worried that my E3 would be covered with scratches any moment, I went out that day and bought the first thing I found: "Glanz Premium Quality Digital Camera Screen Protector", made in Singapore.

I'd say I'm pretty happy with the result. It's clear (much better than the Belken ClearScreen Overlays I've used on other cameras) and easy to clean with the edge of my shirt. It adds some annoying reflections, but I'm happy that the scoring I can see a month later on the protector is not scoring on my precious camera.

Now I'm wondering what I'll put on the top LCD...