Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 16, 2008, 6:47 PM   #1

I'm having some really weird AF issuses with the E1 when used with the 35-100 and its driving me nuts. In good day light the two work just fine but in street or low light the F2 is hunting around like crazy - so much so that I gave up using it on Sunday. I originally thought it may have been a setting in the menu which after the E1's reset - was showing both AF and MF icons on the top LCD but even after fixing that the problem is still there. I'm beginning to think there might be a prob with the 35-100F2 as the 14-54ZD works just fine in the same light but I'm also not sure if its the E1 playing silly buggers with me. Is there any setting on the E1 that I should enable or disable that may help ?

I'm planning to call OLy UK tomorrow and to take the lens with me to the nearset Oly retailer and see if its the lens or the E1 thats the problem. I didn;t have this issue before resetting the E1 and if its the E1 I'll be looking to get the E3 soon - got several photoshoot planned for the next 4 weeks.

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:27 PM   #2

hey Harj

any AF issues with other lenses on E1 Harj ?

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 5:06 PM   #3

Hi Riley

I was having the odd AF issues with the 14-54 well before I did the reset on the E1 - they started shortly after the attempted theft but usually just powering off the E1 and reseating teh lens would fix it. The problem got real bad during my cousins weddign where the E1 jsut simply stopped focusing on two occassions with the 14-54 and that was the reason why I decided on a full reset might help. This weekend the 14-54 just worked fine no issues but the 35-100 would not focus at all in street/available light - just constantly hunting. I've spoken to Oly UK and the've asked me to ship the lens to them for checking but it could take 10-14 working days for that process and i don;t want to do that if the problem is really the E1. I've spoken to a London based Oly reseller and they've said its ok for me to test the lens with an E3 in low light coniditions soi if its the E1 thats faulty I'll be upgrading to the E3. Otherwise the lens goes off to Oly's European service centre in Portugal.

Cheers

Harj

Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:09 PM   #4

Hi Harj: This may be silly, and I'm probably preaching to the choir; but are you careful not to touch the lens release button when you are attaching the lens? I'm sure you are, but sometimes its best to recheck the obvious when a new problem occurs. (...like the time I thought my computer had died, but the power cord was unplugged.)

Good luck,

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 2:33 PM   #5

Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply - I actually hadn't thought of that and I will be caerful when I change lenses and see if theres a change.

Tested the lens with an E3 - and it wouldn't hunt at all and the AF in very low street lighting is super fast and really noticable compared to the E1. Also pressing the shutter half-way on the E3 works instantly to AF but not on my E1. I did test the E1 as well and as always in these situations it was behaving. Have a shoot tomorrow so fingers crossed and everything behaves.

Cheers

Harj

Old Jan 18, 2008, 7:59 PM   #6

Ok, I;ve nailed it - its definetly the E1 as its started to do the same hunting with the 14-54ZD and all of the images are out of focus even when the AF is showing its ok.

I'll be ordering the E3 very soon - may be even tomorrow - I'm just hoping it will behave for at least the next couple of weeks.

Cheers

Harj

Old Jan 19, 2008, 3:17 AM   #7

Since it's happening with more than one lens, have you ever cleaned your focus sensor?

Since the E-1 was the first I don't know if it's the same as all the bodies that came after, but in everything from the E-300 on have the focus sensor at the bottom of the mirror box...if you're careless with changing lenses (thinking the SSWF will save you from problems), or just from years of use dust that gets blown into the mirror box becomes air born with the mirror slap and of course falls down to the bottom of the mirror box and rests on the focus sensor; this image shows you the location of the focus sensor:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...Elightpath.jpg

With the camera off what I do to clean this sensor is with the camera off remove the lens, point the camera down, and with a Giottos Rocket Blower (do NOT use canned air) point the nozzle towards the focus sensor...after a couple of puffs continue holding the camera pointed downward to let the dust fall out.

This method has already saved a few peoples' focus issues.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 4:38 AM   #8

Hi Mike

Thanks for the advice - the straight answer is no but I will definitely try and do that today. I hadn;t even thought that there might be dust on the focus sensor at all.

I'll let you know if it makes any difference.

Cheers

Harj

Old Jan 19, 2008, 5:13 PM   #9

Hi Harj: If you do decide to get the E-3, don't forget that Olympus is offering a free HLD-4 power grip to current E owners in Europe if you buy the E-3.

"Olympus Europe has again prolonged its offer of a free HLD-4 grip to existing E-System users purchasing a new E-3. Originally scheduled to end on Dec 31st 2007, the promotion was first extended to Jan 31st and the folks at Olympus now say customers have until the end of March to get their claims in - most generous"

"Please note the link below still mentions the cut-off date as being Jan 31st but should soon be updated with the new date. All other information is correct."

http://www.olympus-europa.com/consum..._powergrip.htm

"As owner of an Olympus E-System D-SLR camera, you are eligible to receive a HLD-4 power grip free of charge when purchasing the new E-3. Taking advantage of this special loyalty offer is as easy as 1, 2 and 3:

1.Ensure that your current E-System camera is officially registered
2.Register your new Olympus E-3 by 31January 2008
3.Post, fax or email your purchase receipt to:

Olympus D-SLR Promotion
Postfach 1420
32773 Lage
Germany"

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote