Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 20, 2008, 1:17 AM   #1

I got the E510 right before Xmas last year and after a rough start dealing with the camera's low DR and almost 2000 pictures later, I finally began to know and understand this little beauty. Now, I'm having fun...lots of fun with it. So, the first thing I did was to buy th35mm macro lens (haven't got it yet) and the 14-54mm as it appears to be one of the finest Zuiko lenses out there. Ok, now I'm out of budget and I still wanted to have more focal range. So, I wen t ahead and bought a Fotodiox Pentax Kto Oly 4/3 mount adapter ($30 on eBay) just so I could give my Pentax lenses a try (Tamron 70-30mm, Pentax 50mm f1.7 prime and Sigma 28mm f2.0 prime).Not a bad investment at all. I haven't tried the Pentax 50mm yet but both the Tamron and Sigma surpassed my expectations. The Fotodiox adapter is very well built and an excellent value for the money (Oly sells the equivalent adapter for $100). It fits the E510 nicely and the lenses mount very smoothly. With the camera set to Av mode most of the time, I took hundreds of pictures with these lenses at different aperture settings. Some pictures I took in S mode to guarantee a high shutter speed when an extreme focal length was used. Here are some samples taken with both the Sigma and Tamron lenses:

Moon with Tamron 70-300mm at 600mm (in4/3 equivalent) handheld:
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2008, 1:29 AM   #2

Dove - Tamron at 60mm
Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2008, 1:31 AM   #3

SF Bay - Sigma 28mm
Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2008, 1:33 AM   #4

Sigma 28mm
Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2008, 1:38 AM   #5

Sigma 28mm
Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2008, 1:42 AM   #6

Playground climbing structure - Tamron at 600mm
Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2008, 1:50 AM   #7

Cover structure of a pic-nic area - Tamron @ 600mm
Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2008, 10:40 PM   #8

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
I got the E510 right before Xmas last year and after a rough start dealing with the camera's low DR and almost 2000 pictures later, I finally began to know and understand this little beauty. Now, I'm having fun...lots of fun with it. So, the first thing I did was to buy th35mm macro lens (haven't got it yet) and the 14-54mm as it appears to be one of the finest Zuiko lenses out there. Ok, now I'm out of budget and I still wanted to have more focal range. So, I wen t ahead and bought a Fotodiox Pentax Kto Oly 4/3 mount adapter ($30 on eBay) just so I could give my Pentax lenses a try (Tamron 70-30mm, Pentax 50mm f1.7 prime and Sigma 28mm f2.0 prime).Not a bad investment at all. I haven't tried the Pentax 50mm yet but both the Tamron and Sigma surpassed my expectations. The Fotodiox adapter is very well built and an excellent value for the money (Oly sells the equivalent adapter for $100). It fits the E510 nicely and the lenses mount very smoothly. With the camera set to Av mode most of the time, I took hundreds of pictures with these lenses at different aperture settings. Some pictures I took in S mode to guarantee a high shutter speed when an extreme focal length was used. Here are some samples taken with both the Sigma and Tamron lenses:

Moon with Tamron 70-300mm at 600mm (in4/3 equivalent) handheld:
Totally impressed with all these shots, especially the moon and Tamron. Most photos show tyco as an almost flat crater but your's show some amazing detail.

You had to crop it way in to get it this large in a frame. How much post production work did you do to keep the detail?

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:56 PM   #9

Thanks, Scause. I was impressed as well specially considering that these lenses were not made for the 4/3 system. The moon shot was cropped and some contrast added in Picasaand then I used Neatimage to remove some noise. That was all. I'm not a Photoshop type of person so I tend to do minimum PP. If the image is not good out of the camera, I don't bother with it.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:50 AM   #10
OCD

Glad you are getting used to the camera at last, and having fun!
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote