Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 21, 2008, 2:43 PM   #1

Hi

I just recieved my e510 today, and I like alot, but since im new to all the slr thing I was considering to get some training dvds as you can find on ebay, but has anyone tried them? Are they worth the money? Does any one know some free tutorial for the e510?

Thanks
leon_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2008, 4:33 PM   #2

This site has both E-510 tutorials, and Olympus specific photography tutorials:
http://olympusdigitalschool.com/

As for DVDs, I don't know which one you're referring to, but if you already have a knowledge of photography an E-510 specific tutorial can get you up and running faster in terms of getting familiar with the controls.

If you don't know what an f/stop is you'll need a tutorial that goes into more photographic detail; does no good telling you how to adjust your f/stop if you don't know what it does or even what it is.

The manual that comes with the camera is like the manual that comes with a new car, teaches you where the controls are, but doesn't teach you how to drive!

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:18 PM   #3

leon_ wrote:
Quote:
Hi

I just recieved my e510 today, and I like alot, but since im new to all the slr thing I was considering to get some training dvds as you can find on ebay, but has anyone tried them? Are they worth the money? Does any one know some free tutorial for the e510?

Thanks

Hi Leon,

Mikeis spot onrelative to the tutorials found on Olympic's own website. They are a great place to start, as well as reading the manual that came with the camera.

As for the Training DVD's, since you stated that you're new to the D-SLR scene, IMHO, rather than buying a training video specific to your camera which only explains what you can already read in your manual,your money would be better invested in a book dealing with an introduction to the world of Digital Photography using a D-SLR.

When I got my E-500 last year, I immediately went out and bought a training video, just as you described. I quickly found out that I could easily have found the information if I only opened the instructional manual. I then went toa local bookstoreand bought a book on the basics.

BTW, a website that offers a wealth of knowledge on all things Olympus -including the E-510 is http://www.wrotniak.com

Have fun, it's a great hobby......

Zig

Hi Again Leon,

sorry but I gaveyou an incorrectwebsite address.It should have read:

www.wrotniak.net

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote