Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 23, 2008, 6:42 PM   #1

I just got the 35mm macro lens and went for a quick shoot out this morning. After downloading the images to my PC, I found the focus to be off. I have the camera set to S-AF (focus point at the center of the viewfinder) but the images seem to have a focus point anywhere be in the very center. I played with different aperture settings and even though I got a bit better results at f8, the real focus point is not centered. This issue seems to be related to using the lens for macro shots. If I pull back from the subject (not just inches but enough so that the lens works as aregular 35mm), then the focus is OK. Any ideas of what can possibly be wrong? Should I contact the store and have it replaced?

Thanks,

Tullio.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2008, 1:08 PM   #2

Hi Tullio

First thoughts are to take the lens back and get a replacement. I don't have the 35mm but several of the other guys and gals do and what you describe just seems seriously wrong.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:46 PM   #3

Thank, Harj. Actually, I just sent it back this morning but I'm replacing it with the 70-300mm instead. I figured that this lens will be more useful to me than the 35mm macro. Besides, with the Pentax K to 4/3 adapter I bought recently,I can use my Sigma 28mm for macro photography. Sure it's an all manual lens but it's faster than the ZD 35mm (f2.8) and it has great optics.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 3:06 PM   #4

Did you test this on a tripod? A possible explanation: the camera focusses when the shutter button is pressed halfway down and in handheld mode, your hand may have moved a bit before the exposure, enough to be a problem for macros.

Handheld macros are not as easy as they look.

Jorgen

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 3:18 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestion, Jorgen. No, I did not have the camera on a tripod because I had enough light and shutter speed was not bad. However, it would have been an interesting test. I'm still contemplating the 35mm (thinking about the extra $35 savings I can get if I buy it before the end of the month:G). I wonder if Olympus has ever offered a rebate for this lens and if so, how much it was. I know they offer those rebates from time to time (usually around theholidays).The incentivefor me is that $35 on a $200 item is better than the $50 I'll be getting on the $400 70-300mm lens. Comparatively speaking,the 35mm rebate is a better deal.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:49 AM   #6

Well, the rebate on the 70-300 is here while the 35mm rebate may never come. A bird in the hand is better than 10 birds on the roof.

Or go for what is most useful for you. Birds or bees?

Jorgen
http://www.photoblog.com/jorgen

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:06 AM   #7

Actually, Olympus is currently offering rebates for both lenses. I'm set with the 70-300mm for now(new firmware available...I just can't figure out what exactly it means by reading the description at the Oly site). Perhaps I'll try eBay for the 35mm.