Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 29, 2008, 1:45 PM   #11

hes the same guy that posted this

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=26315331

"Re: UV Filter Cause AF Problems with E-3???

I too had the same issue. Mine was caused by the filter not being on all the way. Not sure why but I must have missed a turn or two. Once I fixed this it was fine."

personally i think hes a bit of a nutter

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 3:56 PM   #12

Quote:
personally i think hes a bit of a nutter
Well, Riley, who knows what he thinks of your comments.
Facta is that the problem stopped for the person when he took the filter off and for our friend in question when he screwed it on properly.

Canon users have actually at one time discussed UV filters as a cause to back-focussing, but as far as I remember they concluded that cheap UV filters might cause autofocussing errors: when they removed the filter, the problem stopped for quite a number of people. I would think that flares in the filter could cause problem in cheap filters.

Jorgen
http://jorgen.photoblog.com/

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:43 AM   #13
OCD

I'm an early adopter of the E3 and have had no problems focusing, although the cameras didn't get to the UK until after the USA and the rest of the world got them first, so I'm not sure if it is an early batch issue.

It seems the only focus problem as such is thatsome people have back focusing problems. Although this is conflated by people who don't read the manual or don't understand DSLR's, assuming they are superannuated P&S cameras. So it can be alarming reading the forums and thinking all the talk must mean a big problem, it isn't.

That is not to say there are no problems with my E3 and 12-60mm. Sometimes the focus locks for no real reason, sometimes the lens and body don't communicate, both easily solvable. But this was before the Firmware update, and I'll probably only know for sure next week if anything is working better, but for now it seems it is.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:35 PM   #14

OCD wrote:
Quote:
I'm an early adopter of the E3 and have had no problems focusing, although the cameras didn't get to the UK until after the USA and the rest of the world got them first, so I'm not sure if it is an early batch issue.

It seems the only focus problem as such is thatsome people have back focusing problems. Although this is conflated by people who don't read the manual or don't understand DSLR's, assuming they are superannuated P&S cameras. So it can be alarming reading the forums and thinking all the talk must mean a big problem, it isn't.

That is not to say there are no problems with my E3 and 12-60mm. Sometimes the focus locks for no real reason, sometimes the lens and body don't communicate, both easily solvable. But this was before the Firmware update, and I'll probably only know for sure next week if anything is working better, but for now it seems it is.
thats my take too, mine was about 6 weeks into post release when i bought in, and i dont seem to have the same issues. they are saying now, with some conservatism, that things are getting better.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=26596451

Riley
Old Jan 31, 2008, 7:40 PM   #15

I'm beginning to look at Oly in the same way as I do Apple - anything new and first gen , just leave as the first batch always have issues and get the second revision when theyre out.

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 7:46 PM   #16

hey Harj
yes i appraoch it with the same caution, BTW the first Apple i had was a 1987 SE, the last is a dual proc G4 mirrordoor, thats still here. It seemed to me both 510/410 had early issues that were quickly but quietly soothed, Im thinking E3 has been the same.

Riley
Old Feb 2, 2008, 11:44 AM   #17

jorgen wrote:
Quote:
Looks like it is a hardware issue of a kind and therefore probably not something that can be fixed via a software upgrade.
Hi, Jorgen

It does seem to be a firmware issue. I upgraded my firmware and took a few low-light, low-contrast shots and the autofocus seems spot on. Folks at DP seem to have the same experience although we all seem to feel that we need time to do more imaging to be sure.

I also think that setting the autofocus mode to Dynamic Single Targetimproves autofocus reliability, but I haven't done enough imaging to confirm this either.

The firmware update doesn't seem to do any damage (not an outcome you can always count on with any manufacturer), but unfortunately it wipes out all custom settings. I expected that but had forgotten how exasperating the E3 manual can be. For example, if you want Superfine JPEG you can't select it until you go to a different menu item and change the JPEG compression rate. The Manual describes this but not on a page listed in the Index (it helps to have a PDF copy of the Manual so you can do a search). And of course you might ask why this isn't a default setting on a 10MP camera...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 1:36 PM   #18

That is good news! However, Big Ga (who started the excellent discussion I linked to in my message of Jan 29th, 2008 09:37) informed me by email that he unfortunately still has the same problem. If very few have problems, they should send their cameras to Olympus.

Jorgen

Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:06 AM   #19

The ROM update has unfortunately not resolved all the focussing issues: http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/s...ad.php?t=21493

Jorgen

Old Feb 7, 2008, 8:51 AM   #20

They come in drips and drabs, and now there is one more: "I'd smugly sat back and said 'no focus problems for me', until this week......"

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=26692679

How many of you have actually tested your e-3 for this?

Jorgen