Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:11 PM   #21

From last nights with the e3 shots I've spotted one that does have a focus issue. I nailed the central focus point on the eye and took the shot (single AF centre) and as far as the camera info is concerened the AF on the pic was on the eye but looking at the shot it focused on the top right in the manequinns hair. Here's the pic:

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:23 PM   #22

But have you testet for the focus problem Big Ga described (with photo example)? Having a background in advanced software design and operating systems design, it is the random problem that worries me. Front focus and back focus Olympus should be able to program themselves out of.

Jorgen

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:46 PM   #23

Hi Jorgen

I'm about to go through Big Ga's test and see how the E3 behaves. That shot was one of 17 or more I took last night all the others are just fine except for this one - so its completely random and the E3's info panel is showing the focus exactly where i put it on the eye, but its clearly incorrect. Like you I'm worried about the random nature of this as I wouldn't even know how to even plan for it. Here's all of the other shots from last night all shot through a shop window - starting from:

http://harjtt.smugmug.com/gallery/18...7501#251680179

Cheers

Harj

Old Feb 7, 2008, 7:21 PM   #24

jorgen wrote:
Quote:
They come in drips and drabs, and now there is one more: "I'd smugly sat back and said 'no focus problems for me', until this week......"

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=26692679

How many of you have actually tested your e-3 for this?

Well tonight I did what I feel is as critical a test as I need for my use. The photo below was taken by establishing focus by centering on the candle flame, then re-composing before I fired the shutter/flash. Because the E3 established focus readily, the flash did not pre-fire. (It's nice to have a bright viewfinder.)

After reviewing a lot of the forum traffic on this issue I've set my E3's autofocus to the Dynamic Single Target mode and I'm happy with how it does at one candlepower of available light (literally). I do wish I had had the time to back down the ISO to 200, though.

Ted

PS: This was shot with the E3's pop-up flash - I didn't have time to mount the FL-50.

Attached Images

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 5:04 AM   #25

Hi Guys and Gals

I've had the e3 for nearly 6 days now and mine definitly has the same focusing issue and camera to lens communication failure as Big Ga and a few others on the various forums. These are the symptons that mine is having even after the 1.1 firmware upgrade:

1. Randomly front focuses - to the right or left of the focus point.

2. Will take a shot while completely out of focus - even confirms that it has a focus lock.

3. Lens camera communication failure - since doing the hard reset last night.
4. Lens hunting - Both the 14-54 and 35-100f2 will do the following - initially focus on the target but immediately lose focus lock and then hunt. If your lucky after the 2nd or 3rd attempt it focuses but then will more jump out of focus and remain there.

Now, I've done a side by side tests with my E1 and although its slow and in recent times unrelieable it will focus and lock that focus with either lens.

Here's the serial No of my E3 Mines - D70509XXX - to compare serial numbers and see if those that have faults come from a particular batch. So those that have a good or dud E3 can you please list your cam's serial no

In the meantime I've e-mailed Oly with the list of issues and links to the various sample shots that I now have that clearly show the issue and will wait and see what they say. More than likely I will be returning the E3 this week and get a replacement - hopefully from a different batch or ask for a complete refund and hope the E1 doesn;t kick the bucket.

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O
Old Feb 10, 2008, 6:39 AM   #26

Things like this scare some of us less experienced sorts. We're not sure if we should panic or not!

I think my camera is fine, but it does occasionally surprise me. Probably it's operator error plus heightened expectations here though.

I decided to give it a quick test round my fairly dark home office and with just one fluro on, it focussed fine 50 times in a row. This is with the 12-60 at 60 and EC20 giving a max aperture of f8.0, so I guess it's working hard.

It struggled to match the grill on my air conditioner (hunting back and forth a few times, it's in shadow). I know repeated patterns can cause problems and it's even mentioned in the manual. I actually took the shot, and it was in focus (1/2.5 F8 120mm iso800) though a bit motion blurred (oops).

Then to truly punish my E3, I lined up on the top of an empty cd storage rack (repeated black lines) against a dark doorway (pretty nearly black background) and it hunted for ages before giving the focussed beep inappropriately. Next try, it hunted for ages, and actually got proper focus. Once it leaped immediately to a completely wrong (totally blurred) point and declared success. I guess that's what you (HarjTT) get in theoretically non-punishing circumstances but it's rare for me.

Anyway, it got it right most times in near darkness, though who would wait for all that full sweep hunting to finish in real life? Not me. I'd stop and try a different point.

So, in short, my E3 sometimes lies to me, but it seems that it's only in nasty situations. I guess I've got a good one.

In case it helps, my serial number begins with D725.

Best of luck getting yours fixed!
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 4:57 AM   #27

I spoke to Oly UK this morning regards my E3's AF issues and the lens/body comm failure and to my surprise they were completely unaware of the problem with non SWD lenses. I was the first person to contact them and let them know that the issue exists. Thats very worrying in my book - they need to know that there is an issue and it needs to be fixed.

My E3 is going back to Park Cameras today and hopefully, I should get a working version without any of the issues that this one currently has.

Cheers

Harj

Old Feb 11, 2008, 6:06 AM   #28

Hi, Harj

It's amazing that Oly isn't aware of the problem. Although I was also surprised that Andrzej doesn't mention it in his review.

Good luck on getting it replaced - let us know what happens.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 7:00 AM   #29

Hi Ted

Yeah I was shocked that nobody else had called them to complain and let them know. As thats the case the chances for a proper fix could well be a long way off.

I'm also suprised that none of the reviews so far have come across the issue but then it may just be a QC issue for a production batch. I think they should have kept camera production in Japan - just a personal opinion.

Cheers

Harj

Old Feb 11, 2008, 9:40 AM   #30

I am sorry to hear that you have the problems as well, Harj. Good luck with getting a replacement.

Of course Olympus know about the problems, as Olympus US and Japan have been notified long time ago. The answer you got, is the standard corporate answer until Olympus Japan goes as far as acknowledging that the problem is real and that may take a few more complaints. Deemed from the informal surveys on other websites, you can't be the only one in the UK. Most of the UK users probably don't know they have a problem yet and will for a while believe it is a user error.

jorgen

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote