Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:51 AM   #31

Hi Jorgen

I was originally of the opinion that the E3's a new camera and with anything new you need to read the manual, sit down and play and read the manual again. There's always an element of user error in most cases so I was very reluctant to return the E3 before today but its clear that some E3's do have issues and I think mine is one. A lot of the other users that are reporting errors on the forums at least seem to have a fair amount of experience so its not simply newbies that are coming across faulty cameras. I have a feeling that people are simply returning camera bodies for replacement without following up with Olympus or like you said are completely unware of an issue.

The stores going to test the replacement before shipping it - apparently they recieved an new batch from Olympus on Friday and I'll be getting one of those on Wednesday.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 1:12 PM   #32

Agree, Harj, or they go to their dealer and exchange it for a d300 or a 40d.

I still don't understand that one has to learn how to use autofocus with only one focus point. In my book: Autofocus is autofocus and should work as expected. If there are unfortunate autofocus settings that can make the autofocus make random errors, there is something wrong with the camera; the software should anyway prevent you from doing "courageous" things.

Jorgen

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 1:47 PM   #33

Hi Jorgen

"I still don't understand that one has to learn how to use autofocus with only one focus point.In my book: Autofocus is autofocus and should work as expected...."

I couldn't have put it better than that. Its not as if me or some of the other E3 users out there with problems are trying any funky settings such as the new Multi AF system - I just want to be able to use the plain old single AF and centre AF point, focus, then compose and shoot, so I can crack on with taking pics. I'm finding it hard to understand how various other posters (not on this forum) seem to find that a difficult thing to accept.

Cheers

Harj

PS.

I'm not switch to a D300 or a 40D - might to the new Panaleica Semi pro if it shows up!

Old Feb 11, 2008, 2:52 PM   #34

Quote:
I'm finding it hard to understand how various other posters (not on this forum) seem to find that a difficult thing to accept.
Ah, but you see: the reason they don't have problems is because of their sublime skills.

Jorgen (in his nasty mood)
http://jorgen.photoblog.com/

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 2:46 PM   #35

1. Received a couple of e-mails from Oly Europe, the first simply stated to update the firmware on the e3 to 1.1 but then they sent a second response (which was in reply to the camera/lens comm fail in addition to the others probs) resulted in the following:

Code:
"Dear Harj,

I regret what I read happened to your camera.

The best is to return it to the shop it was purchased in to have it
sent for repair.

If this is not possible due to it is a gift, it is bought from Internet
or it is not under warranty any more you have to turn to your local
Olympus Customer Support department, Olympus UK...."
[font="arial"]
Looks like a standard template reply but at least they didn't ask me to go through menus and
attempt changes to settings, etc to try on but to have it swapped out or repaired.

2. The replacment E3 should be arriving tomorrow - very nice work by all the team at Park Cameras.

Cheers

Harj
Old Jun 25, 2008, 3:50 PM   #36

Hi

I bought the new E3 Olympus and the new 25 mm, 2.8 lens. I was in Europe and suddenly the lens would not focus. I removed the lens and put it back on the camera, I took out the battery, I made sure I was on AF etc. etc., and then the camera would focus but only at close quarters, but anything in the distance, it would not focus. I tried MF and that didn't work. The next day it performed without any glitches, and the next day it was back to no focussing. I am not sure what the problem is, and I got nowhere at the store where I bought it. They thought it might be that I was on CF, but I was not. They then thought maybe I was focussing on something that was hard to focus ... but that was not the case. I have been using professional cameras for years. So, there you have it . . . It sounds like I am claiming there are UFOs ...
gervz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 3:56 PM   #37

Hi Gervz

From what you wrote, I'd say you have a dud E3, like my first one. See if you can have it replaced asap by the retailer and let them know its a known issue that is not fixable with a f/w update - well mine definitely wasn't. With the replacement, I would test it in store - altough I was lucky in that the store tested it for me - side by side comparison with the old one.

My replacement E3 was fine out of the box and has not had any of the issues that the first one had. If the retailer is being awkward get them to check the forum here and on dpr as well.

Let use know how things go.

Cheers

Harj

Old Jun 26, 2008, 4:30 PM   #38

Great to hear from you. I spoke to the retailer today, and will see him tomorrow. As I say the camera is working fine right now, but suddenly will revert to this no-focus issue. But I had thought it was the lens. But that obviously is not the issue from what I have been reading. I love the camera otherwise. For years I shot Canon and own a 5D and have most of the lenses, and never experienced any problems. But I love the weight of this Olympus and especially favour this new 25 mm lens. Anyway, I will let you know what the retailer says.

Marty
Old Jun 26, 2008, 4:30 PM   #39

Great to hear from you. I spoke to the retailer today, and will see him tomorrow. As I say the camera is working fine right now, but suddenly will revert to this no-focus issue. But I had thought it was the lens. But that obviously is not the issue from what I have been reading. I love the camera otherwise. For years I shot Canon and own a 5D and have most of the lenses, and never experienced any problems. But I love the weight of this Olympus and especially favour this new 25 mm lens. Anyway, I will let you know what the retailer says.

Marty