Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 28, 2008, 9:43 AM   #1
oel

With the E 510, can I carry both the XD and CF cards in the camera at the same time?

Which card will be dominate, and will the other cardkick in when the dominate one is full?

Thanks for any assistance
oel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2008, 12:01 PM   #2

oel wrote:
Quote:
With the E 510, can I carry both the XD and CF cards in the camera at the same time?

Which card will be dominate, and will the other cardkick in when the dominate one is full?
Hi,

Yes, you can carry both a compact flash and XD card in the E-510 at the same time.

When you have 2 cards, there is no default or dominant card-(the camera will recognize the last card that you used). You have to go into the Tools2 menu and choose the other card if you want to use it.

When one card is full, the camera will tell you show "memory card full". You then simply go into the tools 2 menu and change to the other card.

Hope that helps.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 1:23 PM   #3

What would be really nice is if you could set the order of the cards and then just fire away knowing that once one card is full the cam will switch to the other without having to go into menus. I'd have assumed that this would have been the default behaviour.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 2:00 PM   #4

Your right Harj, in an ideal world, you should be able to set up the camera for both cards and then have the camera roll over to the empty card when the first is full. Unfortunately,I tried this with my E-510 and it will tell you the first card is full

I looked for more info in the manual but it is painfully short on info.

Oh well, it gives us something to crab about.To be fair,the E-510 is really a nice camera. until such time as I can afford an E-3 the E-510 will do me just fine.

Zig

Old Jan 28, 2008, 6:44 PM   #5

Hi oel, Zig, Harj,

Assuming the E-510 has both a CF and xD card loaded, it is true that one can change which card isactive through the menu systemyou mentioned,Zig. HoweverI find itmuch easier and fastertochangeon the info screen - the screen shown at startup. Card choice is at the lower left of either the simple or detailed display. In the simple display, only the active card is shown but in the detailed display both cards are shown with the active card highlighted. Like almost anything computerized, there is always more than one way to skin the cat.

Helpfully, Dennis

erutcip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 7:15 PM   #6

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Your right Harj, in an ideal world, you should be able to set up the camera for both cards and then have the camera roll over to the empty card when the first is full. Unfortunately,I tried this with my E-510 and it will tell you the first card is full
True, but the fact that Oly DSLRs have had the unique capability to use 2 cards has been one of the many things I've liked about them. However, Oly's choice of secondary cards has been pretty poor. My E-20 uses a SmartMedia card, which rapidly disappeared from the market presumably due to its lack of durability. My E-500 (and I guess the E510) uses the Olympus/FujixD card which has a limited market presence - Oly (and Fuji) would have been better off to stop swimming upstream and use an sD card.

> I looked for more info in the manual but it is painfully short on info.

Well that's another thing about Oly SDLRs - their manuals are pretty dismal. Too bad they don't get someone to write their manuals, who is as sharp as their digicam design engineers. The E3 manual is terrible, which is particularly bad in the case of something as robust but complicated as the E3's autofocus options. You 'gotta just experiment to figure it out, which is pretty silly since most Japanese citizens have English as their second language...

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 7:56 PM   #7

erutcip wrote:
Quote:
In the simple display, only the active card is shown but in the detailed display both cards are shown with the active card highlighted. Like almost anything computerized, there is always more than one way to skin the cat.

Helpfully, Dennis

Hi Dennis,

You are right!! Thanks for the tip..... but it reinforcesthe fact that themanuals are justnot complete.

Hi Ted,

Even though I seldom get to use both cards (unless we're on an extended trip), it is definitely a convenience having 2 cards in the camera. I primarily use my compact flash card but also have an Oly XD card loaded just in case.

I used both cards more frequently when shooting in RAW. With the E-510, I'm shootingin SHQ. I'm too cheap to buy the latest version of Elements that supports RAW.

Old Jan 29, 2008, 7:15 AM   #8
oel

Thanks all for the info and the ways to do it:-)

oel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 7:17 AM   #9

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
You are right!! Thanks for the tip..... but it reinforcesthe fact that themanuals are justnot complete.
Hi Zig,

I'm glad I could point out a different way for you to change the active card. This infois in the manual on page 108 (E-510). Personally, I find the manual quite complete regarding the features of the 510. Sometimes I have to dig them out, but none-the-less, they are there.The only problem I have is [glow=red]understanding[/glow] what is written more-so than finding it.

Dennis
erutcip is offline   Reply With Quote