Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 17, 2008, 1:40 AM   #21

Lab (cropped 80%+). The 70-300mm pull lots of details. The dome looks like a huge cracked egg.
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 5:40 AM   #22

Hi Kayceespix and Tullio,

Thank you both for responding.

First off, I'm sorry for not responding to you sooner, Kayceespix, but I just didn't see your post of your photos. BTW, they're great. The IQ is great. I really like the photo of the mustang and your hubby walking out of the surf.Like you, I live near the water so I'm mostly interested in photographs taken in or near the ocean. The 300mm will come in handytaking shots of lighthousesand the shoreline from a boat.I've always wanted to try surfing but the only surfing I do these days is on the internet. I happened to come across this photogrpaher/surfer who has taken somepretty nicephotos:

http://www.pbase.com/bkeagy/surf_2008

Tullio, the pictures of the black bird and gull are my favorite. The level of detail is impressive especially when you consider the cost of the lens. BTW, I happened to be watching a 70-300mm up for auction on EBay and came across your name as one of the bidders. Guess you won. Congrats. Isn't Ebay wonderful.

In an earlier reply, I commented that I was a bit concerned that I was seeing a few 70-300mm lensesbeing soldon EBay by users. This is somewhat unusual in that the lens was just recently released.

After seeing your pictures, I think the lens will suit me just fine.

zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 7:17 AM   #23

Hi Zig! No problem - I got this lens from NewEgg at $386 - including shipping - and they had it to me in three days. I used their "bill me later" option which gives me three months to pay for it - so that helps ease spending a chunk of change if $$$ are short.

I took a lot of surfing shots yesterday - got some pretty incredible captures even under backlit conditions - but am still trying to decide whether the results are better handheld or with tripod. Kind of inconclusive at the moment - will probably try a monopod this afternoon. Will post more shots when I get a chance . . .

K

edited to say:

Tullio - I like your shots as well - seems like this lens is made for we outdoors-y water lovers, LOL.

Also, Zig, most of the lenses being sold on eBay are by professional sellers - I'd been watching them for a few weeks as well - initially all the sellers were based in Hong Kong or Japan.

I just decided I'd prefer to stay with a seller on this side of the pond for ease of return if there were any problems! ;-)

Oh - and I love Mustangs - my first car was a 1966 Mustang that my dad bought and restored for me in 1976. Wish I had it back!
Kayceespix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 7:37 AM   #24

Hi K,

I look forward to seeing your add'l posts.

regards,

Zig

As for the Mustang, just had the pleasure of driving a 2003 red w/ white top convertible from Cape Cod down to Marathon in the Keys. We drove non-stop (aside from the usual restroom breaks) in 31 hours. I gotta tell you, that it was the most comfortable car I've driven to the Keys yet- and I'm 6'2". Nothing like driving a performance car in the high-speed lane, as soon as someone sees you approaching, they get out of your way. It was a blast.....
Old Feb 17, 2008, 9:46 AM   #25

Thanks. No, it wasn't me who won the eBay auction. I bought mine from ACE DIGITAL. Actually, it started outwith the 35mm macro I bought from them through Amazon. Then, after taking some shots with that lens, I experienced some focus issues. So, I sent it back to Ace for a refund but they wanted to charge me 10% restocking fee. Since Oly had a $50 rebate on the 70-300mm, I went ahead and exchanged the two (no restocking fees for exchanges). But, I did buy my 14-54mm and a 40-150mm (old model, which I haven't received it yet) from eBay.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 11:05 PM   #26

Take a look at these. They are uploaded at their full size and they are really, really nice..

http://www.pbase.com/brdavid/70300_full_size
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 6:02 AM   #27

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the reply. I regularly checkout PBase out for new images butmissed that.

You're right, they are pretty nice.....

Zig
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:47 AM   #28

Hi Fellas.

Voice from the past here. I used to post here all the time but I had a computer problem and I was forced to change a bunch of security settings that interfered with my ability to leave messages on the forum. This relegated me to being a lurker.

I'm shooting with an E-500. I've got he two kit lenses, the 50mm macro and, since I last posted here, the 11-22mm zoom. I plan to add one lens every summer and the 70-300 is something that really fits my needs.

I have to thank you guys for posting all of the pictures. This is the best information I've found about the lens and it's definitely tipped me into buying it. Mind you, I'll still wait a couple of months because I'm up in Canada and a big telephoto isn't something I'll find very useful when it's -35C (like today).

So I'm temporarily changing my internet setting so that I can post a thank you.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:07 AM   #29

I took these pictures at sunrise as I was driving to work one morning. No PP, just a bit of cropping to center the subject.

E510 + 70-300mm @ 70mm
Attached Images

Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:08 AM   #30

E510 + 70-300mm @ 300mm
Attached Images