Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 13, 2008, 5:04 PM   #51

Hi Harj,

Glad you to hear you thought it was funny. My sense of humor doesn't always come throughquite rightin an electronic format.

Took a quick ride around towards the Harbor today hoping to take a few more shoreline shots with the 70-300mm lens. This is a tough time of the season along thecoast since most all of the landscapes around here are so drab. The Sun (or lack of it)is always a problem too. Not to mention, that there aren't many birds or wildlife to capture an image. But I did find a smallbloom of croccus on the side of the road. I managed to fire off a shot before drivers began honking their horns.

http://www.pbase.com/image/94145233

I love croccus. They always signal the onset of Spring here in the Cape.

So far I'm quite satisfied with the 70-300mm. Considering how long the the lens is, it focusesprettyquickly.Reasonably sharp-for the money-you can't beat it. Have not an opportunity to take and fully test it, but I've played with it in manual mode and found that I've actually been able to get sharper images (maybe wishful thinking)by focusing manually thru live-view and using the 10x magnifying feature. Only issue using live view is that if the subject is bright, live view gets blown out.

:|

regards

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 6:24 PM   #52

Nice shot, zig. I like your PP job. What camera settings you used for saturation, contrast, sharpness and noise filter? I looked atyour original imagebut the EXIF data has been changed by Photoshop. I'm still trying to determine the best settings for most conditions. Although NF is claimed toreduce detail, I find that NF LOW with V Sh+1 or N Sh+2 work real well and help reduce noise at ISO 400. I always have contrast set to-1 and saturation toN0 or V-1.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 9:16 PM   #53

Hi Tullio,

Thanks for the positive feedback.

My E-510 is set at: picture mode: natural sharpness: -1 contrast: 0

gradation: normal saturation: 0 Noise Filter and noise reduction both: off.

All images are captured in SHQ. I don't use RAW-(spend too much time as it is on pp)

I think most, if not all of the settings, are set per recommendations made by Andrezj Wrotniak. I figuredthat after all the testing he's done, who am I to disagree.and tothis point, have not felt any reason to change.

Hope I've answered your question because to be perfectly candid, I've not spent enough time comparing images taken at various camera settings to consider myself knowledgable on the subject. I've been spending most of my time trying tocreate a more visually compelling composition. Variables such as framing a subject, use of available lighting. The proper use of aperture vs shutter priority, working on d-o-f, that sort of thing.

One things for sure, the E-510 certainly has an expansive enough feature set to make me realize that the guy holding the camera (me)is the limiting factor in howgood the images come out.

BTW, you still enjoying your 70-300mm? Haven't seen you post any shots recently.

Zig

Old Mar 14, 2008, 3:58 PM   #54

Thanks for the info. on the camera settings. Although I oftenrefer to Wrotniak's E510 articles for guidance on how to setup the camera, I some times differ from his opinions.Hisreview of the Sigma 55-200mm is a good example.While he believes thatthis is a decent lens for the price, I bought one and thought is was worth nothing, so I returned it.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, I really enjoythe 70-300mm. It's in my camera bag at all times and I've been using it regularly.Here are three images taken with it (I've also been playing more with B&W photography).
Attached Images

Old Mar 14, 2008, 4:00 PM   #55

This one the Seagull is not as sharp but considering the circumstance, it was not that bad either.
Attached Images

Old Mar 14, 2008, 4:03 PM   #56

Out on my backyard...
Attached Images

Old Mar 14, 2008, 4:04 PM   #57

Last one...
Attached Images

Old Mar 14, 2008, 4:48 PM   #58

Hey Tullio,

good to hear from you. These are all nice images. my favorite is the shot of theRobin. IQ is wonderful.

Glad to hear you like the 70-300mm lens. My appreciation for this lens is growing each timeI take it out. Getting the hang of manually focusing the lens and it seems to be paying off.

I took a quick trip to the Cape Cod Canal today. Just to see if there was anything interesting going thru. Managed to get this shot.

http://www.pbase.com/zig123/image/94181036/large

Make sure you view itin it'soriginal size. I think the detail is pretty good.

have fun

zig

Old Mar 14, 2008, 6:04 PM   #59

Thanks, zig. Nice shot of the tug boat. If it wasn't for the2x factor, which puts the minimum FL at 140mm, I think I'd have this lens on the camera much more often.

Two more with different subjects in very harsh lighting condition...

Water fountain
Attached Images

Old Mar 14, 2008, 6:07 PM   #60

Motorcycle panel (notice the dust specs)
Attached Images