Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 15, 2008, 5:32 AM   #61

Hey Tullio,

These two shots are really sharp. ...and yes, I did notice the dust. Very impressive.

I know what you mean about the starting focal length.Too bad Olympus didn't make it start at 50mm, it would be my camera most all of the day.

regards,

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 10:05 AM   #62

Thanks, zig. The thing is, reducing the cropping factor or decreasing the minimum FL would make this lens much bigger and consequently not one that we would have it on all the time. I bought the old 40-150mm kit lens and found it to be much much better than the one that came with the E510. That I keep it on most of the time.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Post some more shots taken with your 70-300mm when you have a chance!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 10:23 AM   #63

Hi,

This is not the first time I've heard that some people prefer the older 40-150mm to the new one.

I'm curious, what do you like about the original version? I have the newer version but do not have access to theolder one so can't compare the two.

One thing I do appreciate about the new kit lens is the size. I usually keep the 14-45mm lens on the camera and stick the new 40-150mm lens in my jacket pocket.

It sure makes walking around with a camera pretty easy.

regards,

Zig

Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:33 AM   #64

If you have the 14-45mm, then you have the old one. The E510 WA kit lens is a 14-42mm. The new kit lenses are indeed very compact and light but they are certainly not as good as the old ones. I upgraded the WA to the 14-54mm and absolutely love the lens. It is expensive but worth it. The old 40-150mm is bigger but it's sharper, faster and it increases DR. I've experienced a lot less highlight clipping with the old lens. I can tell the coating is better also. It is a very nice lens and there are still online retailers selling new ones although I bought mine on eBay for $100! I'm not sure I'd pay $250+ for a new one. There are plenty of them on eBay and with a little patience you'll eventually get one around $100. If I was to buy the E510 today, I would not invest on the kit. I'd buy the body and them get the 14-54mm and the old 40-150mm. The combo is certainly a lot more expensive than the two-lens kit but you are much better off in terms of future body upgrades.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 12:08 PM   #65

Hi Tullio,

Thanks for the info.

Yes, the 14-45mm is the old lens-Igot it with an E-500 I bought a year ago. When I got the E-510 late last year,I just bought the body from B&H Photo. I picked up the 40-150mm new kit lens on Ebay thankfully, for a great price. Yes, I'm a firm believer of Ebay. and you're right there are plenty of older 40-150's around for a reasonable price. I'll have to think about adding it my list.

I'm glad you mentioned the 14-54mm since that is the next lens on my upgrade path. I'm hoping that with the new 12-60mm lens being out for awhile now, there will be more 14-54mm lensespopping up on Ebay or Craig's List.

BTW, I did have a 50mm macro Zuiko digital lens that I sold so that I could get the 70-300mm. Big mistake. That is one really fine lens. I just didn't use it enough-but I do miss it.

Be good and if you can't be good be careful:-)

zig

Old Mar 15, 2008, 4:53 PM   #66

I several times thought about getting the 50mm macro. However, I find it expensive so I decided to get the 35mm macro instead. It's a great lens for the price, real sharp and fast. I think for everyday use, it's more useful than the 50mm since it's a bit wider. Also,both the 14-54 and the 40-150 cover the 50mm FL. The 12-60mm is way too expensive.To be honest, I'm happy with the 4 lenses I have: 14-54, 40-150 (old version), 70-300 and 35mm macro. I was going toput both kit lenses upfor sale but I think I'll keepthem so that when I decide to upgrade the E510, I can sell the entire kit. Haven't decided which way to go.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 8:54 PM   #67

Hi Guys: for those of you who might be thinking of buying the 14-54 you might be interested in the following links. It's a great lens,especially if you get a good deal on e-bay.

http://www.biofos.com/esystem/index.html
http://www.biofos.com/esystem/stnd_tst.html
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 12:15 AM   #68

Thanks for the links, Steve. I've read a few of his articles covering not only the 14-54mm but the comparison between the new and old 40-150mm kit lenses,the 35mm and 50mm macro among others. I enjoy reading abouthis tests and take his opinion seriously. Along with Wrotniak, John Foster has extensive knowledge of the Olympus system (and history).

This is a picture of a statue we have in our backyard taken with ISO 1600 (by mistake).
Attached Images

Old Mar 16, 2008, 5:30 AM   #69

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to read the in articles on Foster's website.

regards,

Zig

Old Mar 19, 2008, 1:14 AM   #70

Nice stuff you guys, thanks for sharing. That 70-300 is probably my next lens, first I want to swap my E500 for the 510 just as a little upgrade. Biggest reason is the image stabilizer. So I can make better use of that lens.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote