Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 19, 2008, 8:51 AM   #71

There is no doubt that the IS is the biggest asset of the E510 over its predecessors. It will save you a couple of fstops, which is a huge help when shooting at 600mm. I don't care about live view but IS is definitely a must in my book.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 9:09 AM   #72

Hi Guys. I've once again made some temporary settings changes to post here (something about this forum and my normal security settings not getting along...most annoying).

Just chiming in to say that I have also just done the upgrade from E-500 to E-510 in anticipation of getting the 70-300.

I've had my eye on the 510 since it first came out but it was a spur-of-the-moment purchase. I was reading the morning paper about 10 days ago and saw an ad from a place just a few minutes from my house. They had a great deal on a 510 with the standard lens. So far, I've done a ton of "test shots" but, because it's still averaging slightly below freezing here, I haven't done a lot of outdoor stuff.

One upcoming event that I think will be a real test is the World of Wheels car show. I'm putting my 11-22 on the 510. In the past, I've found the light at this event to be just borderline for available light photography...sometimes the pics turn out...sometimes they don't. This should really put the IS through it's paces. My test shots using available light and IS at a local museum have been very encouraging.

Once it warms up, I hope to use the 70-300 for aviation photography. I now return to my old security settings which return me to lurker status.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 1:22 PM   #73

OK, there is another asset of the E510, which I failed to mention and that it hasa pretty decent ISO control. So, if you are shooting action in not-so-good lighting conditions, I'd suggest you bump up the ISO to 800 or even 1600. I also suggest in this case that you use NF=LOW in case you have it turned OFF, asrecommended by so many reviewers. It will really help cutting down the noise. I have my E510 set as follows: VIVID, NF=LOW, Sat=-1, Contrast=1, Sharpness=1 or NATURAL NF=LOW, Sat=0, Cont=-1, Sharp=+2 (I use VIVID when shooting architecture, birds or any colorful subject or when there is too much contrast with a tendency of getting blown highlights. VIVIDcontrolsbrightness better than NATURAL. I useNATURAL when shooting landscape for I find VIVID to over saturate Earth tones). The images are nice and crisp right out of the camera even though the noise filter is turned on (to low).
Old Mar 19, 2008, 3:41 PM   #74

All good things to know. Thanks

One question I had was answered in Outdoor mag this month, they say "swith off IS when on a tripod." The IS wants to work when it doesn't need to.
My other question, probably the same answer, what do you do if you have an IS lens on the IS camera.

I've found what looks like a decent price (in the US) for the 510 body at $359. the 2 lens kit goes at $529. My friend is looking at that.

So...anyone want to buy an E500 body......:-)
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:19 PM   #75

The E510 kit lenses are good but not excellent. I believe it's a downgrade from the E500 kit lenses, both in terms of build and image quality.I bought the 2-lens kit thinkingthat it was a good deal and then I ended up upgrading the 14-42mm tothe 14-54mm and the 40-150mm to the old 40-150mm (bigger but much better and faster). So,my suggestion is to get the body only and thenbuy the individual lenses.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"To address your question about theIS lens with an IS body, one or the other should be turned off IMO. The two IS systems are very different and most likely they will not work well together. You may have the lens compensating hand shake in one way while the body IS system tries to compensate in a different way.As always, nothing like a good set of tests to help making the decision. Pick a subject in low lighting condition and shoot several shots with various IS combinations. Take notes since the EXIF data probablywill not indicate wether the lens IS isON or OFF and then compare the results. If having both IS turnedON produces the best results, have it setthat way!
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:27 PM   #76

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
The E510 kit lenses are good but not excellent. I believe it's a downgrade from the E500 kit lenses, both in terms of build and image quality.I bought the 2-lens kit thinkingthat it was a good deal and then I ended up upgrading the 14-42mm tothe 14-54mm and the 40-150mm to the old 40-150mm (bigger but much better and faster). So,my suggestion is to get the body only and thenbuy the individual lenses.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"To address your question about theIS lens with an IS body, one or the other should be turned off IMO. The two IS systems are very different and most likely they will not work well together. You may have the lens compensating hand shake in one way while the body IS system tries to compensate in a different way.As always, nothing like a good set of tests to help making the decision. Pick a subject in low lighting condition and shoot several shots with various IS combinations. Take notes since the EXIF data probablywill not indicate wether the lens IS isON or OFF and then compare the results. If having both IS turnedON produces the best results, have it setthat way!
I plan on keeping my kit lens' from the 500, then going for the 70-300.

That's what I thought about the IS lens / camera issue. When in doubt, try it out..!

Sorry to have thread jacked, it's still basically 70-300 though..:-)
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 4:15 PM   #77

I'm posting some pictures that were taken at the zoo last weekend with the e510 and the Zuiko 70-300.

Mercury
Attached Images

Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 4:17 PM   #78

Zoo Picture #2
Attached Images

Old Mar 27, 2008, 4:18 PM   #79

Zoo Picture #3
Attached Images

Old Mar 27, 2008, 4:19 PM   #80