Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 28, 2008, 12:05 PM   #1

Hi all,

Does anyone have any practical experience using the recently released 70-300mm Zuiko lens? I've seen a few photos on PBase.com but have not seen an official review of it.

From, the photos I've seen, the lens shows a lot of promise. Also,at $399.00US(B&H Photo), it is enticing.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2008, 1:46 PM   #2

Hi Zig: haven't seen a review of the 70-300 yet, but recently read a very interesting article by a pro on using the Zuiko 300mm. For what it's worth, here is the link:

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/4984...ympus-e-3.html

Steve R.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 6:50 PM   #3

Hi Zig

I think the 70-300 has so far gotten a moxed reception. I've seen some pretty fine images from the lens with the E3/E510 but also people that have found it way too soft for them and eventually returned the lens. If you can get the extra $$$ for the 50-200 that may be the better way to go and at a later stage add the 1.4 or 2x TC.

The 70-300 is a lot of lens for the $$$ though.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 7:13 PM   #4

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
I think the 70-300 has so far gotten a moxed reception. I've seen some pretty fine images from the lens with the E3/E510 but also people that have found it way too soft for them and eventually returned the lens. If you can get the extra $$$ for the 50-200 that may be the better way to go and at a later stage add the 1.4 or 2x TC.

The 70-300 is a lot of lens for the $$$ though.

Cheers

HarjTT

Hi Harj,

Thanks for the info. Perhaps, that explains why I've seen a fair number of the 70-300mm lenses popping up on e-bay -being sold by users.

As for the 50-200mm, it is definitely a great lens and one that I prefer to buy. However, I have a slight problem with SAF - spousal acceptance factor. My wife goes nuts whenever I buy another lens. I can "fly under the radar" when I spend less than 400bucks. The 50-200mm would definitely get her attention.

BTW, I liked you street shots that you took the other day. I especially liked the use of light and shadows inyour self portrait. Set the mood well.

zig

Old Jan 28, 2008, 7:17 PM   #5

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Hi Zig: haven't seen a review of the 70-300 yet, but recently read a very interesting article by a pro on using the Zuiko 300mm. For what it's worth, here is the link:

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/4984...ympus-e-3.html

Steve R.

Thanks Steve,

I'll be sure to read it.

regards,

Zig
Old Feb 6, 2008, 6:50 PM   #6

I just got this lens this evening - no time to try it outside as it was already dark, but will post pictures tomorrow if I get a chance to use it! I'm an amateur surf photographer among other things, so I'm looking forward to the weekend.

But no complaints from me here - took a snap of my daughter in our living room (just using onboard flash) and it's plenty sharp to suit me!
Attached Images

Kayceespix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 5:37 AM   #7

Hi Kayceespix,

Thanks for your response. Congrats on your purchase. I'm looking forward to seeing your surfing pics.

BTW, nice photo of your daughter.

regards,

Zig

Old Feb 8, 2008, 5:25 PM   #8

Hopefully I'll get some surf shots tomorrow - surf looks to be small, but I think it should be nice weather anyway - we've had two days of overcast weather, so no real chance to do much with the lens.

I did catch this little group of groundflowers yesterday from about 25 feet - handheld.
Attached Images

Old Feb 9, 2008, 5:20 PM   #9

Well, surf was pretty tiny today - so I didn't get many surf shots that I would consider good. We did, however, have a lot going on in our little beach town today - an art festival and a hot-rod gathering. I shot my pictures today exclusively with the 70-300mm lens, and I'm currently uploading a selection of my pictures from the day to share. I'm very pleased with the lens - the only one taken with a tripod is the surfing photo of my hubby - all others were handheld, and frankly, I think I may be able to get sharper surf images by handholding than with my tripod. I'm accustomed to panning smoothly, so next time I'll probably try that without the tripod as well. The headshot of my hubby was handheld as he walked toward me out of the surf - and the detail in the original is incredible.

We live out in the sticks where dialup internet is my only option, so I had to reduce the image sizes quite a bit in order to upload them, but perhaps they'll give y'all an idea of what this lens will do.

Check the link below, and when the pix are all loaded, you can click on a thumbnail for a larger image and scroll through them all. I think if you right click on the image you can see the details of the shot for the focal length.

http://www.kayceespix.com/export
Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:59 AM   #10

I've had the 70-300mm a few weeks now and I love it. It's a bit bulky and on the heavy side but it's a good performer. It produces sharp, well saturated images and works well for macro shots too.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"A couple f days ago I went to the beach at lunch time and took lots of pictures at the marina with both the 70-300mm and the 14-54mm (my favorite lens so far). Here are some shots taken with the 70-300mm...I'm selecting photos taken at various FL just to show the lens' capabilities. No PP involved, only minor cropping in some cases. I had the camera set to Vivid mode, NF=LOW, Sat=0, Contrast=+1 and Sharpening=+1. ISO auto and custom WB.

Flower @ 300mm
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote