Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 2, 2008, 7:54 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
jorgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 200
Default

Ted, just saw your message to me. As you can see, I already agree with most of your arguments.

Jorgen

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 10:50 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

jorgen wrote:
Quote:
Ted, just saw your message to me. As you can see, I already agree with most of your arguments.

Jorgen
Aha - I didn't remember that you already had a 510. As much as I like the E3 I'm not sure I'd switch unless I could sell the 510 at a good price.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 10:56 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
Wrotniak shares his first impressions
One of the things Andrzej makes an issue about, is thatexposure compensation should be more easily engaged because it's so important. I have to chuckle at that because this is true for every digicam I've had, before the E3. But the E3 hasyet to capture an image for me, whose exposure has not been spot on. I haven't done any heavily backlit images yet and depending on the desired effect I wouldenvision the need for exposure compensation, but it sure isn't as important with the E3 as with other cameras. Except in unusual lighting situations my experience is that you can just stop worrying about tweakingexposure, with the E3.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 2:56 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Ok...I bit the bullet and ordered an E3.
I think you'll like it. I think it's safe to do the firmware upgrade and I recommend you do that before you start playing with the E3 settings (all of whichany firmwareupgrade will erase).

To do the upgrade with Oly Master, you need to know that after you've installed the Oly software, when you connect the E3 to your computer with a USB cable, Oly Master won't find it at first. When you turn on the E3 connected via USB you'll see a menu on the E3 screen, for "USB Mode" choices. You need to select the "Storage" choice, and thenOly Master will find the E3.

When Irant about Oly's manuals in this forum, note that this choice is not described in either the E3 manual or the Oly Master help manual. You only find this out by perusing the Oly web site support page FAQs. I'm a senior manager in a software development company and if we did things like that we'd be out of business. And in this vein I strongly recommend that you download the E3 manual as a pdf so you can do a search in the manual (I can provide many examples of info you need to know, that is not included in the printed E3 manual's index).

Also in this vein, you should not be surprised that if you try to register the Oly Master software version provided with the E3 and it asks you to select which camera you have,the E3 is not presented in the drop-down list, even after you ask Oly Master to check for upgrades (I'm not making this up). Nevertheless the software does find the E3 firmware upgrade,which seems to be worthwhile.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 6:33 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,901
Default

Hey HarjTT: Now that you have ordered the E-3, don't forget to buy the E-3 grip. Olympus is giving back a 100% rebate on in in Europe, and it has been extended from the original Jan 31 deadline to the end of March.

"Olympus Europe has again prolonged its offer of a free HLD-4 grip to existing E-System users purchasing a new E-3. Originally scheduled to end on Dec 31st 2007, the promotion was first extended to Jan 31st and the folks at Olympus now say customers have until the end of March to get their claims in - most generous. "

"1.Ensure that your current E-System camera is officially registered
2.Register your new Olympus E-3 by 31 March 2008
3.Post, fax or email your purchase receipt to:


Olympus D-SLR Promotion
Postfach 1420
32773 Lage
Germany


Fax: +49 (0) 5232-68445

E-Mail: [email protected]


Once all conditions have been fulfilled, the HLD-4 power grip will mailed out to your given address."



Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 7:22 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Hey HarjTT: Now that you have ordered the E-3, don't forget to buy the E-3 grip.
So are you telling Harj to get a grip?

Just kidding.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 7:45 PM   #17
Member
 
erutcip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 45
Default

To one and all,

First let me say that I really like Olympus cameras. Olympus is the only brand I have ever owned... starting with a Pen EE, an OM-1, a C-2100UZ and now an E-510 (there was another one in there but I cant remember the model). Brand loyalty to some extent, however I do compare Oly with Nikon/Canon, etc, before purchasing. I feel Oly is at least as good as any other camera and always has the feature set I want,so why pay more?

I'mam positivethe E-3 is a great camera and compares very favorably with Nikon/Canon and the like. Plus it's less expensive. Folks who have bought Nikon/Canon will certainly disagree and argue vociferously with anyone who has a different brand that their's is the best (just aswe Oly owners will and do).

What disturbs me is E-3 owners who argue that the E-3 is head and shoulders above the E-510 or other Oly dSLR models - if the previous posters don't think they were arguing this fact, I would disagree that they were, as that's the way I took their posts. I agree that the E-3 is the flagship for Oly, and is better than Oly's other dSLR's, however I disagree that it is superior to the other Oly dSLR's.

Those of us who are hobbyists/amateures (me to be specific)have a difficult time justifying the extra cost for an E-3 over an E-510, whichcomes with two very respectable lenses, as the E-510 is less than half the cost of the E-3 body alone. And especially in view of the incremental differences between these cameras. (I do admit that I was very tempted to buy an E-3.)

I would suggest that, within this Oly community, we cease and desist the comparison between these two great cameras. Both have their niches... and we all love our Olys.

Thanks for reading my vent.

Dennis

erutcip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 10:27 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,145
Default

erutcip wrote:
Quote:
To one and all,

First let me say that I really like Olympus cameras. Olympus is the only brand I have ever owned... starting with a Pen EE, an OM-1, a C-2100UZ and now an E-510 (there was another one in there but I cant remember the model). Brand loyalty to some extent, however I do compare Oly with Nikon/Canon, etc, before purchasing. I feel Oly is at least as good as any other camera and always has the feature set I want,so why pay more?

I'mam positivethe E-3 is a great camera and compares very favorably with Nikon/Canon and the like. Plus it's less expensive. Folks who have bought Nikon/Canon will certainly disagree and argue vociferously with anyone who has a different brand that their's is the best (just aswe Oly owners will and do).

What disturbs me is E-3 owners who argue that the E-3 is head and shoulders above the E-510 or other Oly dSLR models - if the previous posters don't think they were arguing this fact, I would disagree that they were, as that's the way I took their posts. I agree that the E-3 is the flagship for Oly, and is better than Oly's other dSLR's, however I disagree that it is superior to the other Oly dSLR's.

Those of us who are hobbyists/amateures (me to be specific)have a difficult time justifying the extra cost for an E-3 over an E-510, whichcomes with two very respectable lenses, as the E-510 is less than half the cost of the E-3 body alone. And especially in view of the incremental differences between these cameras. (I do admit that I was very tempted to buy an E-3.)

I would suggest that, within this Oly community, we cease and desist the comparison between these two great cameras. Both have their niches... and we all love our Olys.

Thanks for reading my vent.

Dennis
Hi Dennis,

I like your post, well put.

That is all except for the last paragraph where you suggest that we cease and desist the comparison of the E-3 and the E-510. Gee Dennis, that's exactly why I love to read this forum.

I really look forward to reading all the discussions of the merits of one camera vs the other, or for that matter all things Oly wether it be lenses, firmware or features.In this case, byreading all the debates (or arguments, if you will)over the differences of each camera, I feel that , at the end of the day, I know a lot more about the features and benefits of theE-3 as well as the E-510(which I own). The guys in this forum always tell me things about my camera that I didn't know.

It was through this forum and Steve's website 4years agothat I learned enough to know that I wanted to buy an Oly C-5060, a camera I still own and love to use, then an E-500 and last year an E-510.

So, I for one, can't wait for the next "argument" :-)over these 2 fine cameras.

regards,

Zig




zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 2:35 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
jorgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 200
Default

I see what you mean, Dennis. But on the other hand, there is always something better somewhere on the market, so I spend time checking if there is something better for me. I emphasize the "for me" because I don't wan't to run around with for example the very tempting Nikon D3 and a bag full of heavy lenses, let alone pay for such stuff. Just thinking about the undoubtedly lovely, but very heavy 35-100mm both Ted and HajTT favour, makes my back ache. Carrying around an e-510 with the 14-54 and 50-200, teleconverter, macro and whatnot is more than heavy enough for me. More often that not, I choose to carry an e-500 with a superlight 14-42mm; though it is not in the same class as the 14-54, it is a very good lens. Many people are obcessed with sharpness, distortion etc. The fact is that all Olympus lenses are very good. People should be far more obcessed with image content than with sharpness.

Secondly, a camera such as the e-3 is far more complex than any other Olympus camera. I can see that a wedding or news photographer can benefit from being able to configure everything, but I don't think I really need that. Conversely, I can see complexity coming in the way of image content as one may worry more over settings (as I used to do) rather than worry about finding interesting subjects.

I think the most important feature of a camera is that it fits you, i.e. that the ergonomics and weight are right. If you feel at one with your camera, you can concentrate on seeing and you will be far more likely to make good photos.

But I will still have a look at the e-3, when I get to Valencia.

Jorgen
http://www.photoblog.com/jorgen

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 4:29 PM   #20
Member
 
erutcip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 45
Default

Hi Jorgen,

I quite agree with your post, especially the "for me" analysisand always keeping an eye out for something better.

I can see how some might misunderstand what I wrote about comparing an E-3 to an E-510. I consider this an apples to oranges comparison - just not valid. An E-3 should be compared to others in it's same niche, say the Nikon D300 or Canon 5D. Likewise, an E-510 should be compared tocameras such as theNikonD40x orCanon XTi.I didn't mean that we shouldn't discuss the differences in features between two Olympus cameras. Doing that informs the community allowing us to make moreinformed decisions.

It seemed to me this thread was getting a bit over populated with the opinion that theE-3is better than the E-510 - of course it's better, althoughthat's a comparison and, once again, apples and oranges.

Dennis

erutcip is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:29 AM.