Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 3, 2008, 5:41 PM   #21

Hi Guys and Gals

I actually never got the impression that there was an E510 v E3 debate going on in the forum here although I might be wrong.

Wrotnaik's thoughts and the field report over a LL do raise some very valid questions regards the E3 itself and I agree with a lot of what both reviewers state. Personally, i would have liked the E3 to have been kept the same size and around the same weight as the E1 if it was technically possible. Oly's showing off the E4XX/E510 I think clearly show the advantage of the 4/3's system in producing excellent cameras that are small, light weight, innovative and with good IQ. The E3 being nearly as big (size and wieght) as the Canon/Nikon's etc isn't exactly what many people were expecting. Is the E3 worth 2* the E510? Again on a personal note I don;t think so and currently in the Uk you can get the D300 for less than the E3. With regards to IQ it's been shown to be better but not significantly better.

As a whole Oly has done an excellent job with the 410/510 and hopefully with the E3 too, providing cameras for all types of users. If the 510 had a larger VF and had a mag oly body I'd have got one. Same goes for the Panleica L10, which I was really impressed with. Whichever camera anyone decides to go for whether its an Olympus, Canon or Nikon should fits ones own needs first.

Steve, thanks for the reminder about the grip. I know I won't use it outside of a studio - I plan to try and make any camera that i have street friendly as possible but as a free bee from Oly I'll happily take one.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 12:42 PM   #22

Dennis, it is always valid to compare one camera with the next camera up the scale. If better for me all things considered (image quality, price, size, weight, ergonomics, battery consumption etc., each element weighted as one see fit), I would get it.

On this topic, Zone-10 has a take on this as well http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?op...1&Itemid=1

Maybe Olympus made the 510 too good?

Jorgen
http://www.photoblog.com/jorgen

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 4:30 PM   #23

Hi Jorgen

Thast a nice article - really well written and informative. I've had a wee real play with the E3 today with the 14-54ZD and the 35-100f2 and I'll give my own thoughts later once I've played around with it more.

Cheers

Harj

Old Feb 4, 2008, 4:51 PM   #24

Harj,

......lemme hear, lemme hear

Glad to know you got the camera.

As for this thread I am pleased I started it since the activity has been quite worthwhile reading (IMO), I have really enjoyed it all.

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 5:30 PM   #25

I've already found a few things that were just very natural on the E1 which are not so on the E3. I need to sit down and the RTFM several times, the E3 is a very different beastie from the E1 and its going to take some time getting used to it and setting it up the way I want. It makes the E1 seem very simple, which was practically set to manual, RAW and spot and then shoot. I have camouflaged the E3 for street work everything that shouts Olympus or E3 has been taped off - same as my E1.

I'll post some P&S shots from today when I get time, they clearly show that theres a lot to learn for the new cam.

Cheers

Harj

Old Feb 5, 2008, 7:21 AM   #26

Harj, congratulations!

Why is it so difficult to learn to use? What is so different? The three Olympus DSLRs I have, I just plugged a battery and a memory card in and felt at home within minutes.

I understand that you can change more or less everything on the e-3, but that would surely be something that happens over time?

Jorgen
http://www.photoblog.com/jorgen

Old Feb 5, 2008, 4:30 PM   #27

Hi Jorgen

You could say I'm a wee bit too comfortable with the E1 and the E3 is a slightly different beastie. Now that I have had the E3 for more than 20mins or so and have been out shooting with it I do realise the difference between the two cam's and how Wrotniak feels. There are many things that are better on the E3, but others were just spot on with the E1 (it truely fits like a glove) and its those little things that I need to get used too. For example the aperture and shutter dials are opposite on the E3 - so I need to find out how to switch them back to the E1's config - the rear dial for aperture and front for shutter. I don;t like the location of the on-off switch and the shutter sound is a lot louder than the E1. The size of the E3 - even though on paper it may only be slightly bigger, in the flesh it seems to be noticeably bigger and heavier. With the 35-100f2 it does feel much better - more comfortable and better balanced when shooting with the lens. Battery life esp when using Liveview takes a beating - good thing that I now have 3 BL1's always fully charged. Its early days and I just need to sit down, read the manual and play.

A few shots with the E3 (firmware 1.0) + 14-54ZD - just out of the camera jpegs - P (Mode) and all default settings out of the box. Taken on the way into work.

Cheers

Harj

Old Feb 6, 2008, 2:10 AM   #28

Quote:
The size of the E3 - even though on paper it may only be slightly bigger, in the flesh it seems to be noticeably bigger and heavier.
Easy cure: go and try one of the top Nikon or Canons. They are B-I-G.

But thanks for the answer. The button layout you will get used to.

jorgen

Old Feb 6, 2008, 3:13 AM   #29

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
For example the aperture and shutter dials are opposite on the E3 - so I need to find out how to switch them back to the E1's config - the rear dial for aperture and front for shutter.
Hi, Harj

I recommend you keep a record of the customization you do -it willneed to be done every timethe firmware is replaced.

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 2:13 PM   #30

You can find a spreadsheet here for your setup http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...excel&qf=m