Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 31, 2008, 2:18 PM   #1

Wrotniak shares his first impressions with mention of 'front focus issue'.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/e3-look.html
_________
boBBrennan

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:43 AM   #2

Very interesting. I especially noted this, which confirms what I wrote here some time ago:

Quote:
In general, I am very pleased with the images I'm getting from the E-3 — but so was I with the results from the E-510 at half the price! While sometimes I think I can see some more "tonal smoothness" in pictures from the new camera, this is probably just wishful thinking. Once again, I will have to go through a few hundred of samples I've shot (some of them side-by-side with the '510) to possibly say more on the subject. But if there is any difference, it is not staggering.
as well as his remarks that e-3 ISO 1600 = e-510 ISO 800.

Jorgen
http://www.photoblog.com/jorgen

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:45 PM   #3

I think his first impressions are a very ewll put. He's comments on the E3's size and weight I'd agree on and he;s fairly spot on with his views on the ergonomics esp compared to the E1's.

If you guys and gals missed it check out the field report over at Luminous Landscapes:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...ympus-E3.shtml

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 2:05 PM   #4

Very interesting too, thanks HarjTT!

Old Feb 2, 2008, 6:06 AM   #5

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
If you guys and gals missed it check out the field report over at Luminous Landscapes:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...ympus-E3.shtml
Which states that the E3's high-ISO performance is better than the E510's, thereby disagreeing with Andrzej.

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 6:36 AM   #6

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
I think his first impressions are a very ewll put. He's comments on the E3's size and weight I'd agree on and he;s fairly spot on with his views on the ergonomics esp compared to the E1's.

I think we should keep in mind that ergonomics are, like favorite foods, a matter of personal preference.

1. I really like the way my right hand fits to the E3 and that my right thumb naturally rests in a position that's nowhere near a control button - this has a lot to do with the larger size of the E3, versus the E500/510 where only a child's thumb would fail to hit a control button at some point.

2. I like the fact that even though it actually doesn't, the E3 feels like it has a lot fewer control buttonsthan the E500/510 - to some extent this is because the E3 doesn't assign control functions to the up/down/left/right navigation buttons which in factreally is bad ergonomicsbecause itcausesmistakes in high-pressure situations.

3. I really like the fact that you can readily changeparameters directly on the rear ("super") control panel, so if you are concentrating on the shoot you don't need to futzwith control buttons at all, which is nice for those of us who have day jobs that don't include photography so it always takes us a while to instinctively learn the control buttons of any camera regardless of where they are placed.

4. I really don't mind the lack of a Mode dial because the E3's mode button setup allows the addition of two custom modes, which I personally find very useful. The key word here is "personally"...

The E3 is just ergonomically different than the E500/510 (and, I guess, the E1).Reviewers (including my friend Andrzej) should try to keep an open mind rather than cavil about the fact that it's different. In the one area that really matters - the menu system - the E3 is very similar to previous Evolt cams so you don't need to learn a new menu system.

The E3has ergonomically felt very natural to me. It would amaze me that it would feel that way to everyone. Folks just need to try it.

Ted

PS: But it definitely weighs too much (grin).

Old Feb 2, 2008, 8:17 AM   #7

jorgen wrote:
Quote:
Very interesting. I especially noted this, which confirms what I wrote here some time ago:

Quote:
In general, I am very pleased with the images I'm getting from the E-3 — but so was I with the results from the E-510 at half the price! While sometimes I think I can see some more "tonal smoothness" in pictures from the new camera, this is probably just wishful thinking. Once again, I will have to go through a few hundred of samples I've shot (some of them side-by-side with the '510) to possibly say more on the subject. But if there is any difference, it is not staggering.
as well as his remarks that e-3 ISO 1600 = e-510 ISO 800.

Jorgen
Hi, Jorgen

I have the impression that you are feeling the E510 wiould be a better choice for you since it does everything you want at half the price. This is probably true for you. I just want to note that the folks in this forum who actually own and use an E3 are very pleased with it (unless I missed a post somewhere). Most reviewersspend much less time with a camera before they review it, so I would put lesss weight on their opinions than those of E3 owners.

When I bought the E500I couldn't see why the E1 was worth the extra money;back then it wasn't so easy to get the opinions of real E1 users. I might have made a different choice since a lot of E1 users feel that camera's images have more "image depth" in the sense that they can take more PP. I feel that way about the E3 versus my E500, and you never see that in a review because it shows up over time as you get more experience with the camera.

Ted
Old Feb 2, 2008, 8:44 AM   #8

Ted, there is no doubt that the e-3 is a great camera and that it is in many ways better than the e-510.

If one does not have an e-510, there are many good reasons for going for the e-3 instead of the e-510 (and a few against). However, for those of us who already have an e-510 and love it, the situation is very different; there are no really weighty arguments for getting an e-3 - such as for example better image quality. Unlike you, the e-510 fits my hand perfectly.

This said: if I really, really like how it feels in my hand, I could well see myself hand over a credit card and buy it on the spot. But it won't be because I need one and it won't be because I believe my photography will improve after buying it. I may buy it because it is a nice toy. But I am in no haste.

Jorgen

Old Feb 2, 2008, 8:50 AM   #9

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
Wrotniak shares his first impressions with mention of 'front focus issue'.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/e3-look.html
_________
boBBrennan
Which helped me understand the focus issue much better - it shows up at low EV with low contrast subjects. I actually ran into this once in just such a situation - I thought I was inside the 35-100 F2's minimum focus distance because when I moved the sticks back a couple of feet the focus was fine.

So I plan to load the firmware update this weekend and re-shoot that situation when I get a chance, to see if the issue goes away. Andrzej makes sense (as he usually does) when he notes it's unlikely to be a mechanical problem, and the posts at DP seem to confirm that the update fixes it.

Ted
Old Feb 2, 2008, 8:53 AM   #10

Ok...I bit the bullet and ordered an E3. It should have arrived this morning but the courier company messed up, so I won;t get it until Monday or test it and see if its not got OOF issues. I do like the ergonomics of the E3 and it does feel better balanced with the 35-100 so I'll just have to wait and see.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote