Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 2, 2008, 11:31 AM   #1

The members of this forum are adults, not children. To see an example of what I mean, go to:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=26559430

It's about a poor soul who turned off his camera in the middle of a lens firmware upgrade, whichwiped out the lens' ability to communicate with the camera so the camera doesn't see it,making the lensunusable.

Experienced computer users know that turning off power during a firmware upgrade isNot A Good Thing, butnon-experienced computer users are generally unaware of this issue.

So he's looking for help -scroll down to Ben Herrmann's response. Isn't he sweet?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2008, 1:01 PM   #2

Hi Ted

Its not having replies like that which has always made the forums at Steve's a much nicer place to ask for help, cc, etc. The guys done something really dumb but he defintely did not deserve those kind of replies. A simple "you need to take it Oly to get it fixed" etc should have been it. they all need to take a chill out pill if you ask me. I think most forums over at dp are the same - I remember the Pana forum being like that as well - one reason why I hardly ever posted there.

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 3:03 PM   #3

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
they all need to take a chill out pill if you ask me.
Hi, Harj

Yes. My colleagues in my company would describea person like Ben Herrmann as a "richard cranium".In case you don't get the U.S vernacular, a common nickname for someone named Richard is Dick, and you can figure out the cranium part...

(grin)

Ted
Old Feb 2, 2008, 6:20 PM   #4

You guys are so right. I quick scan the dpreviews forums regularly, but rarely post anything on it, as there are so many jerks there who oftenare arguing about something. tkurkowskihas it so right, so often it is like a bunch of children in kindergarten class over there. Besidesthe guysin this forum beingso nice to communicate with, everyone seemsquite knowledgeable here. (And are never petty and condescending like some in the other forum.)

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 9:51 PM   #5

Ben is ex-military, so what would you expect.

I admit that once in a while here I do lose my temper at someone, the answer is in the manual or can be found with a quick internet search...for me I have little patience when it comes to people who aren't willing to do their own work.

Before I had decided on buying an E-300 I not only had the manual downloaded and read (includng having read the manual from two other cameras I was debating on), but I also had read messages on Steve's forums as well as other camera forums to find out what issues owners were having with their cameras and sites like Wrotniak's...because of doing that when I went to the store to decide on a camera I already knew how operate them so I could make an intelligent choice and base my final choice by feel, and I expect no less from others (although I know better).

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 6:22 AM   #6

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
Ben is ex-military, so what would you expect.
Quote:
I admit that once in a while here I do lose my temper at someone,
Well the problem is that his response was extraordinarily mean. But if you collect enough people together you're likely to include a few jerks.

Mike, how old are you? Because after you pass age 50 you'll find yourself doing something dumb once in a while, and if you're lucky it will remind you to be more understanding of others <grin>.

Ted
Old Feb 3, 2008, 11:01 AM   #7

Ted: You are so right about those of us over 50. Sometimes I'll walk into a room such as the kitchen, and have to stop to think as to why I went there!!!:lol:
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 12:30 PM   #8

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Ted: You are so right about those of us over 50. Sometimes I'll walk into a room such as the kitchen, and have to stop to think as to why I went there!!!:lol:

Why you went where?

<grin>

Ted

PS: If JimC says we're Off Topic here, we can both plausibly claim we forgot what the topic is...

Old Feb 3, 2008, 5:50 PM   #9

Hi Guys

Mike, regards Ben's comments I don;t think I've seen him post a reply like that before, as he's usually pretty good in helping out so I was surprised by it. What did get me, and i;ve seen it many times in the forums over at DP was how quickly members would simply over react and just post "crap" for no better word. If you can't be helpful - even stating RTFM esp page 6 or something similar would be more than fair, there's no point in making a comment. Those completely unhelpful and nasty comments are something I have yet to see on any of the forums here at Steve's or other sites.

Steve, I've been doing exactly that since I was in my 20s !

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 7:50 PM   #10

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Guys

Mike, regards Ben's comments I don;t think I've seen him post a reply like that before, as he's usually pretty good in helping out so I was surprised by it.
Well, I've seen him post nasty comments before back when I was on FourThirdsPhoto...I try to ignore him now.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote