Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 10, 2008, 5:59 AM   #1

Hi again!

Once I bought the E3, I decided that the combination of the E3, 12-60, 50-200 and the x2 converter would scratch my entire itch. :-) So, I ordered a 50-200mm SWD from my local photo shop. That was 3 weeks ago now, but given the spotty availability in this country it looks like it will be another 3 more weeks until it arrives. If I'm lucky.

In the normal course of events, this sort of delay is no problem. But I'll be going on a trip before then, and I'm starting to think I'll be going without the 50-200. :sad:

Now, I'm not the sort to take this lying down, so here are some of my crazy ideas:

:arrow: Buy a 18-180mm. (In addition, not instead of the 50-200!)
:arrow: Buy a Sigma 50-500. (The store has one with an Olympus mount!)
:arrow: Buy a Sigma 55-200. (Cheapest lens that does the range.)
:arrow: Just go with the 12-60mm and EC-20 (that I've already got in anticipation of getting the 50-200mm).

I'm not sure that any but the last option will satisfy my "value for money" rule. (18-180 is "soft", 50-500 is lovely but not weather sealed, 55-200 is cheap but soon to be redundant.) Oh well.

What would you do? Are there any other cunning tricks to try?
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2008, 6:17 AM   #2

Hhhmm thats a pretty tough decision - I was in a simialr position a while ago and ended up getting the 35-100F2 !

You might find that the 12-60 and EC20 will be good enough for at least 50% or more of your shots. Have you thought about getting an old manual focus lens like the OM 135mm f2.8 or 3.5 - theyre's some very good Nikon/Oly glass out there.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 11:30 AM   #3

Why don't you just get the 40-150 kit lense, £119 this will still give u a good range and not break thet bank, and its smaller use it when size might be an issue worst come of it punt it on eaby, they go for £80- £90 so only losing £30 this may be worth it for the photos u would get.

Do let us know what happens or maybe you might be lucky and get your 50-300 swd in time

good luck
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 3:58 AM   #4

Dangerous Brian wrote:
Quote:
Why don't you just get the 40-150 kit lense, £119 this will still give u a good range and not break thet bank, and its smaller use it when size might be an issue worst come of it punt it on eaby, they go for £80- £90 so only losing £30 this may be worth it for the photos u would get.

Do let us know what happens or maybe you might be lucky and get your 50-200 swd in time
I considered getting the cheaper lens at one point, but I'm sure I really want the 50-200 swd for the weatherproofing, as well as the bit of extra range. Given that, do I want the 40-150 as well? Probably not, except for my current problem of not getting the 50-200 in time.

It's official, by the way; I won't get it in time. I called Olympus Australia today and they confirmed there won't be any new 50-200 lenses shipped to Australia for 2 weeks, so I'll miss out. Sigh. Now I'm trying to work out if I'll just leave it at that, or scramble to get any of the other options.

It's all quite agonising! The store has sold its Bigma, so that truly tempting option is gone. D'oh.

I may just go there tomorrow morning anyway. Then I can try the 70-300 on my E3 and see if that one floats my boat.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 12:14 PM   #5

Sorry to hear you won't get the 50-200mm swd in time that sucks.

The Bigma is gone too, alough to my mind geting a little big and heavy. but does have the QA

The 70-300mm good range and size, but QA ?. but using 50% of your fund for the 50-200mm. I think I would wait for the 50-200 swd.

How important is this range on your trip. Is the trip expensive. sometimes you might have to bight the bullet, so at least you have the photoes you were wanting to take, after all olympus lenses are not shite.

Hope you have a great trip anyway and post some pics when its all over.

good luck

Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 4:19 PM   #6

Can you find the new or old 50-200 for hire ? If so I'd do that, just hire the lens for the trip , altough I know finding an Oly hire retailer can be a bit of mission.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 6:22 PM   #7

how about the sigma 70-200mm constant f2.8

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...fourthirds.asp
lkequan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 7:39 PM   #8

I'm sorry to read about the situation that you find yourself in.

But,if Iunderstand you correctly, you've bought an E-3, 12-60mm, an EC-20 and have also placed an order for a 50-200mmSWDlens-all from the same camera shop. In rough numbers, that represents about $4,000 US worth of business you gave to these folks. It would seem to me that this shop should be able to accomodate you with some type of a loaner/store demo/what have you in either a 50-200mm or more likely, a 40-150mm lens to use on your trip.

Either that or sell you a 40-150mm at a significant discount so that you'd be covered. I would then sell the 40-150mm on EBAY when I got the 50-200mmSWD.

BTW, If you've got your mind set on having a 50-200mmSWD, anything less will be a compromise and you'll always regret having bought something else.

good luck!!! I hope the shop can work with you to come up with a solution.

zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:46 AM   #9

My first suggestion/recommendation is to stay away from that Sigma 55-200mm. Yes it's cheap and yes, it's cheap and BTW...it's cheap. That's all it is...cheap. I really like Wrotniak's website and his recommendations with regards to camera settings are spot on. But, I disagree 100% with him when it comes to the optical (and build) qualities of this Sigma lens (did I mention that it's real cheap???). I bought one from Amazon (thank God it was from Amazon and not some other retailer that would charge me a restocking fee to take the lens back), and returned it after taking the first batch of pictures with it. Anyway, I can givethe details about my findings if anyone is interested but for now, enough said. You'd be much much much better off buying the Zuiko 40-150mm instead (even though you get 100mm less at the end of the FL).

Ibought the E510 with the two-lense kit but I havesinceupgraded the WA to the awesome 14-54mmand boughtthe excellent70-300mm. Iam very impressed with this lens. It's fast, accurate and produces beautiful images. So, I think it's a good plan B.From everything I've read, the 50-200mm is an excellent lens but I bought two great lenses for the price of this one. If you have the EC-14 or EC-20, then another option would be to buy the 40-150mm (get the old one. I have the new model but already bought an old copy from eBay,although I haven't received it yet. The reason is because I'm not too impressed with the optics of the 40-150mm I got with my kit and from what I've read, the old is better. It's bigger but it's also faster - f3.5 vs. f4.0).

The 18-180mm won't buy you much. You'll have a huge overlap with yourWA kit lens. Besides, the reviews have been a mixed bag. I think it's a good lens to have if you bought the body only since you can cover both WA and tele with one lens.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 7:05 AM   #10

I've taken an action, but I'm not sure if it's sensible. :?: Time, I guess, will be the judge.

Ebay in Australia seems pretty dead as far as Olympus lenses are concerned. Just one beat up old OM prime when I checked, and tonight two weird ones I've never heard of. All the action is international.

I tried to find a lens for hire, and I failed. I could find Nikon and Canon gear, for outrageous prices, but no Olympus gear. Scratch that idea.

The store itself doesn't do lens hire, and didn't offer any dodgy old Olympus lenses as loaners. I don't blame them at all for this, for several reasons: there are (I think) just two stores in town that do high end Olympus gear, this one has way more stock on display, and the margin over internet stores is only a few percent. It could be worse, much worse.

I sought to convince myself that other lenses would be pointless and that the proper approach was to live with the 12-60 and EC-20. A strange sort of mania overtook me though. :-)

I tried the 70-300 and my initial reaction was "bleah!" It's noisy and the front element rotates. On the other hand, even in the dark store it seemed to take nice pictures. Maybe my prejudices are showing. I didn't buy it.

I tried their last Bigma (canon mount) on a 40D and it's ENORMOUS! But fun. One day I'll want one of these things, but not now. (BTW, I was seriously considering a 40D instead of the E3 just two months ago. Now it seems clearly wrong even to hold. Odd.)

I tried the 18-180 and loved the feel of the zoom ring and the low weight. This would be a lens I could carry all day, and reach (wide and tele) practically every shot I fancied. I know it's not the equal of other lenses image wise, but I considered its cost and utility vs the idea of a totally redundant lens purchase (eg 40-150 or the throwaway Sigma 55-200) and bought it.

I did wrangle one concession from the store: if through a miracle the 50-200 swd arrives before I go this weekend, they'll take the unopened 18-180 back with full credit against the 50-200. I don't know how that compares to other countries, but around here that's pretty good.

So, I'm in this weird situation of buying a lens I maybe didn't really need and then sitting it on a shelf for a week not even playing with it. I think I've gone mad! :?