Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 18, 2008, 3:54 PM   #11

Hi Greg

Thanks for posting those, and so quick too! The sohts looks really good esp for ISO1600 and both the 510 and the kit lenses have done superb. Any plans to shoot any indoor basketball or volleyball games ? I remember your posts with the 50-200 and the E1, how do you think the 510 compares now that you've used it similar coniditions - although those dudes woul dhave been flying from one end of the pitch to the other ?

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 6:58 PM   #12

Dangerous Brian wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots and plenty of detail. no motion blur, what kind of shutter speeds where u getting in this kind of light enviroment ?

did u have is on ?

Good to see you back with a little light kit.

Thanks for the comments!

Yes, I did have image stabilization on, in Mode 1.

The exposure was set manually to 1/250 sec at f7.1. I metered in program mode just before the puck dropped with +1exposure compensation for the white ice, then changed to manual exposure mode, locking the settings in and shot from there. In hind site, I wish I had set the lens wide open to f5.6, which would have allowed me to get up to 1/400 sec and frozen action even better...there's always the next game.

The thing I wound up changing part-way through was the white balance, which the camera had a problem with in AUTO. The first third or so of the imagesthe white balance was obviously not being handled right. It was easy enough to correct in Photoshop with Auto Levels and subsequent Fading, but I made no effort in post processing to match the WB in all those images, so the ice looks a little different in thosefiles from shot to shot.

During the second period I manually set the white balance to the correct setting and it was consistently correctfrom that moment on, which is obvious as you view the files in the order they were shot. In the files recorded with the manually set white balance, all I did after downloading the files prior to uploading to my website was to crop them down as needed.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 7:40 PM   #13

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Those are really great shots Greg!:|

It just reinforces the fact that the kit lenses are really better than most people realize(me included). All too often, I found myself thinking that I need specialty lensesfor sports shooting (my grandson's soccer games, little league, etc.). You've just very clearlyprovenotherwise. Those are certainly "good enough" for my needs. Thanks for sharing.

zig
Until around March/April of 2007 I was using an E300/E1 with 7-14, 14-54 and 50-200 f2.8-3.5 Digital Zuiko's and, to be honest, was not enjoying carrying them around. I wound up selling the lenses, which wasn't that painful or expensive to do....I am proof positive those threeoptics all hold their value very well on eBay.

I still have the E1 and E300, but those just sat in a bag and I proceeded to shoot for several months with a combination of Panasonic cameras, including the FZ50, TZ3 and LX2. Been watching, carefully, the stories related to the E410/E510 and these new, smaller and lighter kit lenses and recently decided to pick up the E510 two kit lens outfit. Other than possiblybuying the 70-300 for sports where I need more reach, this is where I'm stopping. No more heavy optics for me.I kept my FL50 flash because it is also dedicated to the PanasonicFZ50 I've been using, so I'm set there with the E510 too.

This entire E510 kit fits in the same smallLowepro bag I've been carrying my FZ50 around in and at not that much additional weight.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 7:55 PM   #14

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg

Thanks for posting those, and so quick too! The sohts looks really good esp for ISO1600 and both the 510 and the kit lenses have done superb. Any plans to shoot any indoor basketball or volleyball games ? I remember your posts with the 50-200 and the E1, how do you think the 510 compares now that you've used it similar coniditions - although those dudes woul dhave been flying from one end of the pitch to the other ?

Cheers

Harj

The chances of doing basketball and volleyball are probably limited at best. I'll definitely be using it for Major League Baseball this summer, which is one sport where I'd rather have access to the full 300mm end of the 70-300 Zuiko vs. cropping images from the 40-150 Zuiko or using the extended optical zoom of the FZ50.

Under similar conditions, I easily prefer the E510 to the E1. I've been playing a little with these new kit lenses on the E1 and prefer their handling on the E510 and definitely prefer the ISO 800 and 1600 results. I could usually get good results at ISO 800 with the E1 shooting RAW at the expense of much more work, but these ISO 800 and 1600 JPEG's out of the E510 are just too nice, and take MUCH less work if you justget the settings right in-camera.

Moving from the E510over the E1 today, it's(painfully) obvious how much further developed the E510 is, which makes the E1 that much less desireable to want to use.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 11:55 AM   #15

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg

Cheers

Harj

The chances of doing basketball and volleyball are probably limited at best. I'll definitely be using it for Major League Baseball this summer, which is one sport where I'd rather have access to the full 300mm end of the 70-300 Zuiko vs. cropping images from the 40-150 Zuiko or using the extended optical zoom of the FZ50.

Under similar conditions, I easily prefer the E510 to the E1. I've been playing a little with these new kit lenses on the E1 and prefer their handling on the E510 and definitely prefer the ISO 800 and 1600 results. I could usually get good results at ISO 800 with the E1 shooting RAW at the expense of much more work, but these ISO 800 and 1600 JPEG's out of the E510 are just too nice, and take MUCH less work if you justget the settings right in-camera.

Moving from the E510over the E1 today, it's (painfully) obvious how much further developed the E510 is, which makes the E1 that much less desireable to want to use.

Hey Harjtt & Greg,

It's been a while Harjtt. I'm pretty much back at it after my surgery and spring is just around a couple of corners. Yeaaaaa!!!! There is absoutely nothing but shades of brown around here during the winter.

Greg,

Ibought an E-1 -14-45 & 40-150 lenses as a step up from my VLUX-1 (FZ50) just like you did Greg and loved it.I tend to shake a lot in my old age though and decided I need the IS the E-510 has. I now have a E-510 & old 50-200 on the way and hopefully I will start shooting something worth posting when I get used to it. I decided to go the 50-200 plus the EC-20 when I can afford it instead of the 70-300mm . I'm really looking forward to the hi ISO capabilityof the 510.

I do need to keep my VLUX-1 because Istill have a granddaughter in Ballet andthe shutter noise of a dslr is unacceptable. I've neverowned two cameras at once on purpose before and now I'll have three for a while. My wife if looking at me a littlefunny lately so I'm going to sell my E-1 and grip when I'm sure this is the way I'm going.

DonR http://donr.zenfolio.com/
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 3:36 PM   #16

Hey Don

Good to see you back and in good health too! Might want to hold onto the E1 - just as a spare body incase, but I think you'll enjoy the 510 !

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote