Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 11, 2008, 6:04 PM   #11

ah the newer version, weird though because an "orf" file is an "orf " file no matter what camera its taken on isnt it??.........like a jpeg is a jpeg.

id have thought that any orf file could be opened on my set up

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 6:06 PM   #12

Not so it seems. I have been using an 8080 in raw and have had no trouble opening its raw files.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 6:13 PM   #13

I think Mike posted a reply to one of my questions regards the jpeg file sizes I was getting with the E3 and pointed out that the E3 and I'm assuming the E4XX/E510 all now compress the original RAW file and its this new compressed ORF file format that the older ACR 3.x in CS2 and without an update to recognise the files is unable to open them. Thats just my guess so I could well be wrong.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 6:22 PM   #14

Well I have cs3 coming overnight so we'll see it helps. I work for a cookbook publisher and scheduled to go on assignment to Ft. Lauderdale Florida 2-28 to shoot a restaurant's cookbook and I'm anxious to get it all working.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 6:33 PM   #15

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
I think Mike posted a reply to one of my questions regards the jpeg file sizes I was getting with the E3 and pointed out that the E3 and I'm assuming the E4XX/E510 all now compress the original RAW file and its this new compressed ORF file format that the older ACR 3.x in CS2 and without an update to recognise the files is unable to open them. Thats just my guess so I could well be wrong.

Cheers

Harj

yup read up on it and thats the case

as ocd also stated too

most plugins are backwards compatable and work with older versions of photoshop, id have thought that the new version of raw would work back with cs2 and cs

but at least u can do it with the free dng converter and still use cs2 for those who are stuck

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 3:27 AM   #16
OCD

Quote:
ah the newer version, weird though because an "orf" file is an "orf " file no matter what camera its taken on isnt it??.........

But the code and processing requirements contained therein changes from camera to camera. For instance, you could open E510 files with Adobe RAW 4.3 and it did a fine job, but when the E3 came out procesing the RAW file with this caused a cross hatching noise to appear in skies. So we had to use the very slow (and not perfect) Olympus Master 2 until Adobe brought out RAW 4.3.1 which does a superb job with E3 files.

I think the reason the new Adobe RAW doesn't work with CS2 is thatbesides being amuch more sophisticatedand user friendlyprogram than earlier RAW converters, like CS3 it is written in different code to load and work much, much,faster.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 7:46 AM   #17

As a side note - I have an e-410, and playing with RAW files was surprised to find that Google's Picasa opens the files and allows editing of the .orf's.
Kayceespix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 9:40 AM   #18

Just as an FYI for those of you who use the Windows Vista operating system: On Dec 27, 2007 Microsoft & Oly updated their Codecs for Oly RAW which includes E-3.

http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/downloads/codecs.aspx

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...odec/index.cfm
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 7:42 PM   #19

As a note of interest, it the E3 isn't on the RAW supportedcameras for Aperture 2:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html
Pickwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:32 AM   #20

:G I got my photoshop cs3 upgrade and downloaded the raw plugin from Adobe and now can open E3 raw files.:-)